Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

Interesting Dish only sprang for a 100mbit connection on the joey. I wonder what the hopper connect at? 100mbit would limit 5 20mbit/sec streams assuming OTA full HD. If the hopper had 1GBit it would not have any real limitations.

You will be lucky to find a 16 mbit OTA HD feed these days.

....With respect to the 16 port non-blocking switch, there are going to be a terribly small number of homes that have more than an 8-port switch. Heck, I don't have more than that (yet). I'll probably swap out at the homerun for a 16-port soon, just so that all rooms can be connected and never have to worry about moving around cables if I need to. I've had to do that once in the 6 years I've been in this house.

What? We don't all have a 24 port like me? Heck, if I ran the last few drops I have in mind, if it weren't for the wireless and using the Airport Extreme as another wired switch, it wouldn't be enough. Well, more judicious use of my patch panel would probably get me thru. But I'm lazy. I'd rather throw hardware at it and rarely move a cable.

I did, however, forgo a wired drop to the refrigerator etc when we redid the kitchen. Decided if that ever became a useful idea, it'd be wireless anyway.

I just forced it through a pair of slinglinks which were only pushing 2 MBps, then I tried a USB wireless adapter. Both worked flawlessly on my Joeys.

2 megabits? Dish has higher bitrates than that.

I could easily see someone shooting their joey across their 10 acres to the barn with a pair of ubiquiti radios...or even farther. That would be a cool setup.

I could easily see someone shooting their joey across their 10 acres to the barn with a pair of ubiquiti radios...or even farther. That would be a cool setup.

Well, due to my "top notch" electrical system in my house, a pair of Slinglinks only manages to get around 2 to 2.5. I only used them to test the concept. They were great for testing a lower limit. For normal use, I have CAT5e runs to every room in my house. I also tested a Joey with a Dish issued USB wireless adapter. Both options worked very well. And yes, the USB WiFi adapter IS working now on the Joeys.

Depends, MB usually means Megabytes which would be 16 Mbits/second. This is why I type Mbit or MByte, to avoid the confusion above.

Do the ubiquiti's work as advertised? I have a comparable unit (600 mw transmitter), but it barely covers my house. IIRC, the ubiquiti units don't have 1Gbit interfaces to the backbone which would mean they can't deliver their top-rated speed to the backbone.

WTF? We're talking about backbones in our houses? We are such geeks!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Depends, MB usually means Megabytes which would be 16 Mbits/second. This is why I type Mbit or MByte, to avoid the confusion above.

Do the ubiquiti's work as advertised? I have a comparable unit (600 mw transmitter), but it barely covers my house. IIRC, the ubiquiti units don't have 1Gbit interfaces to the backbone which would mean they can't deliver their top-rated speed to the backbone.

WTF? We're talking about backbones in our houses? We are such geeks!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Yes, the ubiquiti products are awesome. Excellent value for the price. You are correct, they only have 100 megabit FD ports on them. You really aren't going to get gigabit speeds on 802.11n anyways. They do have a new product called AirFiber that solves the extreme backhaul connection.

I setup a set of Nanostations 5.8ghz (2.4ghz was just too dirty in that area) shooting across a farm. We ran them in Station WDS mode(not to be confused with WDS repeating) that allows the units to run in Layer 2 mode where they are invisible to the network and do not create an extra hop. Basically like a very long ethernet cable stretched across the farm.

I have one of their PowerAPN Long Range home routers in my house as well, covers every inch of the house and even a few houses down. Very impressed with that wireless access point.

One thing that doesn't work is switching a Joey to another Hopper. Joeys do not show the other Hopper on the Whole Home network screen. Also, Hopper shows no Joeys on the Linked Joeys screen and Joeys show unlinked on the Whole Home Network screen. You have to link a Joey to a Hopper using coax before they will connect over Ethernet. Joeys appear to remember and connect to the last linked Hopper.
Correction; the above issues occurred when I had the Joeys connected to the second Ethernet port on the Hopper with a router for HDCP service. When I reconnected the Joeys to my home network they see both Hoppers and can switch between them with none of the above issues.

digiblur:

Add up the bandwidth of all the connected wireless N devices and if that exceeds 100 Mbit then the wired port connecting into the network is a choke point. By using a Gbit feed you minimize that possibility.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Everyone is using a direct ethernet connection to the Joey or the WiFi adapter.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Right, but I want to know if they have a HIC in their system. I don't. I have one Hopper using Ethernet and the other using the WiFi adapter. I'm just curious if a HIC is required in the system to get it to work. I'm considering getting a third Joey and moving it freely around the house!

dustinw82 said:
Right, but I want to know if they have a HIC in their system. I don't. I have one Hopper using Ethernet and the other using the WiFi adapter. I'm just curious if a HIC is required in the system to get it to work. I'm considering getting a third Joey and moving it freely around the house!

No a HIC is not required, but Scott has said it is possible that Dish may disable the feature that allows the Joey to work over ethernet.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I just forced it through a pair of slinglinks which were only pushing 2 MBps, then I tried a USB wireless adapter. Both worked flawlessly on my Joeys.

So ... you can "get away with" just running RG6 to the Hopper ... have the Hopper connected to your router (WiFi or wired) ... and then throw a wireless adapter on your Joey(s).

For the $20 the USB WiFi adapter costs ... compared to the time and effort to run cable all over the place ... hmmm.

Neat "feature"

So ... you can "get away with" just running RG6 to the Hopper ... have the Hopper connected to your router (WiFi or wired) ... and then throw a wireless adapter on your Joey(s).

For the $20 the USB WiFi adapter costs ... compared to the time and effort to run cable all over the place ... hmmm.

Neat "feature"

I thought that was what the HIC was for? Doesn't it supply ethernet to all the receivers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts