Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
theoak said:
So ... you can "get away with" just running RG6 to the Hopper ... have the Hopper connected to your router (WiFi or wired) ... and then throw a wireless adapter on your Joey(s).

For the $20 the USB WiFi adapter costs ... compared to the time and effort to run cable all over the place ... hmmm.

Neat "feature"

This is incorrect. The Joey will not link through a wifi adpt. If must be hardwired, coax or Ethernet, in order to link.

So, you can stretch an Ethernet cord to setup and link Joey, then go to wifi adpt, but if Joey loses power to it, you have to hard wire to link again.

This is incorrect. The Joey will not link through a wifi adpt. If must be hardwired, coax or Ethernet, in order to link.

So, you can stretch an Ethernet cord to setup and link Joey, then go to wifi adpt, but if Joey loses power to it, you have to hard wire to link again.

Ahhh ... because folks like the dots so much ... this adds complexity then to where a wireless solution would probably not work then.

Most people trying to run a Joey ( or any streaming video ) across a WiFi network will have problems. You need a consistent 20Mbs connection to deliver HD Video.
Not true. Not true at all. My BD players, TV's, Roku's, and Google TV devices all use wi-fi for video streaming. My Hopper and Joey are connected via wi-fi bridges, as well. And, all work flawlessly for streaming HD video. (MY AVR streams less-demanding audio via bridge in likewise flawless fashion.)

can someone explain exactly how these are connected and working? obviously the hopper must be connected to a network...and joeys connecte to the same network in some manner...
maybe this is the real reason why the hopper has TWO ethernet ports. one in/one out?

Please PM a graphical output or at least the test log for a two hour HD video stream on your LAN. I would be interested in seeing a WiFi stream of two hours where the data rate doesn't drop or slow down below 20 Mbs. Have you tested your LAN by reading and writing large files of 1GB? What was your average through put on the wireless segments?

Some devices stream video very well such as PCs because they can buffer large amounts of data onto their hard drive. If a data packet isn't received a PC can request that it be resent while still continuing to display the video stored in the buffer. Does the Joey have the ability to buffer data? How large is the buffer? How long in seconds is the delay on the Hopper and Joey when you are watching live TV? Is the delay significantly longer when you are using WiFi vs RG6 or RG 59? Does the Hopper during live TV create a buffer that is available to resend to a Joey if the original packet gets lost or delayed?

can someone explain exactly how these are connected and working? obviously the hopper must be connected to a network...and joeys connecte to the same network in some manner...
maybe this is the real reason why the hopper has TWO ethernet ports. one in/one out?
My guess is that the extra ethernet port on the hopper is for passthrough to connect extra devices to your home network/internet. let's say you have a smart TV or a roku, then in theory you might be able to connect it all up one day.

Dish wants a controlled and dedicated network for their Hopper and Joeys via coax. A mixed network would just be more hassle for them troubleshoot/install/support.

Basically why the general feeling is to have coax ready as a backup in case something gets messed up connecting this way. You never know what bugs may crop up and will never get fixed.

Last edited:
Seeing how most installers will not know that it will work without a coax cable and even the few that may find out would still use the coax anyways. Dish Network will probably be able to tell how many are connected via coax and via ethernet and penalize installers that do not install the coax.

I could see this as a great solution to those that may not be able to get service at their home due to trees where a coax wire would be too long to run to the dish but able to get it from a nearby location and transmit the signal wirelessly running an electric wire to a small building where the Hopper is then go wireless from there.

Perhaps Dish Network could have a Hopper on their end and the Joey on the customer's end through a broadband connection to where you can use the Joey on any broadband connection (with high enough speeds of course). Kind of like the preview that Dish was allowing customers on a computer. I am surprised that Dish Network and other providers have not offered their service via IP.

I am surprised that Dish Network and other providers have not offered their service via IP.

Uverse or FiOS might have? I'd be surprised if I heard carriers weren't working on an IP delivery system. Only makes sense. With the size of the pipes that are available this is almost inevitable.

Remember Dish has this bandwidth/spectrum (5GHz range I think) that they could theoretically use to deploy their service via IP.

Last edited:
Please PM a graphical output or at least the test log for a two hour HD video stream on your LAN. I would be interested in seeing a WiFi stream of two hours where the data rate doesn't drop or slow down below 20 Mbs.

You don't need 20mbps for anything from Dish (or most anyone else). Dish streams average about 5mbps. It's variable bitrate, but I'd be surprised if even peak rates go above 8mbps. A good "g" connection should handle a single stream without any issue, a decent "n" net should handle a couple (or more) streams without real issue. OTA streams when available would be higher, but with subchannels being prolific I would be surprised if many OTA channels come close to 19.4mbs max.

I have fairly routinely had two wireless streams encoded at 12mbps going without any real issue. Can't say there has never been a glitch, but they are few and far between, and that's on a single band 2.4 n net.

If someone can't deal with an occasional drop or stutter, then wireless isn't for them. That doesn't mean it's not a valid option for many. It's a trade off for convenience.

I can see why Dish would not offically support wireless though, it opens up a huge support headache. Many reading this probably at least have a clue when it comes to networking, but the vast majority of general population users don't.

How long in seconds is the delay on the Hopper and Joey when you are watching live TV? Is the delay significantly longer when you are using WiFi vs RG6 or RG 59?

I'm wired with a HIC, but I did play around a little with wireless. There wasn't any discernable difference in the experience.

I haven't had a dish in a very long time, but, could this be a backup to signal loss due to bad weather?

Honestly, they should mention this could happen, I believe some, albeit probably few, could be on metered internet access.

I haven't had a dish in a very long time, but, could this be a backup to signal loss due to bad weather?

Honestly, they should mention this could happen, I believe some, albeit probably few, could be on metered internet access.

It's not any sort of backup for the dish. We are talking about the Joey to Hopper connection only. The Hopper still gets it's programming from the dish. None of this involves data over the internet, only your local LAN.

Seeing how most installers will not know that it will work without a coax cable and even the few that may find out would still use the coax anyways. Dish Network will probably be able to tell how many are connected via coax and via ethernet and penalize installers that do not install the coax.

I could see this as a great solution to those that may not be able to get service at their home due to trees where a coax wire would be too long to run to the dish but able to get it from a nearby location and transmit the signal wirelessly running an electric wire to a small building where the Hopper is then go wireless from there.

Perhaps Dish Network could have a Hopper on their end and the Joey on the customer's end through a broadband connection to where you can use the Joey on any broadband connection (with high enough speeds of course). Kind of like the preview that Dish was allowing customers on a computer. I am surprised that Dish Network and other providers have not offered their service via IP.

Closest thing to what you mentioned that I know of right now. Of course it's only international.
International IPTV Channels from DISH | DishWorldIPTV

EasyEEE said:

E^4. Welcome to the show.

As the other poster stated an Ethernet connection does not backup live sat content getting into your home. However in your example of bad weather you can always watch DVR content or if your hopper is Internet connected you can download 3k plus movies in vod or block buster library. Block is $10 per month and most of the other vods have some cost. But some are free.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

With the new 802.11ac coming out, I think WiFi would work vary well.
Most manufacturers haven fully implemented 802.11n yet (MIMO seems to be dragging its feet) so looking forward to ac probably isn't going to be the answer. Wireless standards are worse than the modem and fax standards of 25 years ago in terms of incomplete and/or competing implementations.

Another more realistic example is MOCA 2.0. There doesn't appear to be any devices that have been tested for compliance yet it was ratified almost a year ago.

So nobody has tried the VPN connection, probably because it would need to be on the same network subnet since there is no configuration for host IP? May need to run some packet tests and verify it is performing a broadcast to find the Hopper. However it is possible to rebroadcast discovery packets with business class VPN routers. If this works I see them disabling it or adding a "GPS" feature into the Joey's like all the femtocells have.