Joey Works Without Coax Cable?

anyone tried this over powerline networking? I use Netgear adapters to get ethernet to up upstairs rooms and get a solid 150-180mbps connection (more than enough to stream high-bitrate HD from my server). I have coax in these rooms so wouldn't need to resort to Joey-over-ethernet, but if it works over powerline it could be a better solution than wifi for some people.

I bet whatever Dish enabled in 207 to get DLNA working on the Joeys gave us this functionality as well. Hopefully Dish knows this and is just a little present for us and not premature implementation .

I am sure it will be disabled as soon as someone posts it works over wifi at their neighbors house.

But to be honest, running a piece of coax over to the neighbors house is just as easy. I remember the yo-yo's in my old neighborhood just strung one across the yard. I pointed it out to the cable co one time but they could have cared less. Proves where there is a will there is a way.

And just for the record, any kind of account stacking is against the rules.

digiblur said:
I am sure it will be disabled as soon as someone posts it works over wifi at their neighbors house.

But to be honest, running a piece of coax over to the neighbors house is just as easy. I remember the yo-yo's in my old neighborhood just strung one across the yard. I pointed it out to the cable co one time but they could have cared less. Proves where there is a will there is a way.

Yep. I bet that will be a priority over Hopper to Hopper integration.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

There's really not much reason for Dish to mess with this since coax is already far easier to do something against the rules. That coax problem is even more fundamental to this whole system than whatever H/J might add.

Exactly. If someone wants to steal it, they will find a way. Anyone who works out a deal to setup a VPN to share Dish with the neighbors wants to steal as much as they want to watch TV.

Did a little experimenting to see what works:

Hopper with two Joeys hooked to home network, no coax; works 100%, rock solid.
Two Joeys hooked to other Ethernet connector on Hopper using switch; no IPs so doesn't work
Two Joeys hooked to other Ethernet connector on Hopper using old router for DHCP; works 100%.

I see reasons why the Hopper has two Ethernet connectors. One can be for Hopper Internet access and the other can be just for video and DLNA data to Joeys . Installers could use Ethernet separate from the home network to feed Joeys and have known conditions for troubleshooting and not bog down one's home network, especially if using wifi for Joeys.

The network bandwidth issues(if you have one or are worried about one) is easily addressed by running it on its own network.

With modern switches you get full wireline speed between devices in both directions (i.e. the hopper can send one gbit/sec to the joey while the joey sends 1gbit/sec to the hopper and computer a & b talk at 1gbit per sec). Essentially a modern 16 port Gbit switch can handle 32gbit/sec worth of traffic.

Essentially you do not have to worry about other traffic on your lan, the hopper can talk to the joeys at full speed.

One thing that doesn't work is switching a Joey to another Hopper. Joeys do not show the other Hopper on the Whole Home network screen. Also, Hopper shows no Joeys on the Linked Joeys screen and Joeys show unlinked on the Whole Home Network screen. You have to link a Joey to a Hopper using coax before they will connect over Ethernet. Joeys appear to remember and connect to the last linked Hopper.

While we are on this, my Joey stopped seeing my Hopper last night (I just got 207 on the Hopper). This is the first time it has ever happened. I recovered it by resetting the MOCA network connection. A shame it doesn't do that on it's own (or try to fail over to the Cat6 plugged into the back of it).

This is funny as I had the exact same experience with two HR10-250 units from D*, who wanted to run coax between the two units (and $200) to enable whole-home DVR. I had to convince the tech to "just turn on the feature" as the two boxes were running wired ethernet between each other. Once she did, Presto!

With modern switches you get full wireline speed between devices in both directions (i.e. the hopper can send one gbit/sec to the joey while the joey sends 1gbit/sec to the hopper and computer a & b talk at 1gbit per sec). Essentially a modern 16 port Gbit switch can handle 32gbit/sec worth of traffic.

Essentially you do not have to worry about other traffic on your lan, the hopper can talk to the joeys at full speed.

I see the Joeys connecting at 100Mbit, not 1 GBit. I am not in the equipment room to check the hoppers, but think they are connected at 100 Mbit. Wired, I'm less worried about, but wireless (even the forthcoming WiGig) makes me nervous as the environment is a free for all. These should work, but I'm not going to say it will always work. That's why they push the discrete (and dedicated) MoCA network.

With respect to the 16 port non-blocking switch, there are going to be a terribly small number of homes that have more than an 8-port switch. Heck, I don't have more than that (yet). I'll probably swap out at the homerun for a 16-port soon, just so that all rooms can be connected and never have to worry about moving around cables if I need to. I've had to do that once in the 6 years I've been in this house.

digiblur said:

Okay so digi got me thinking now that we know you can run a Joey over a standard Ethernet connection, how could we get some distance between the hopper and Joey.

Setting up a VPN would work but may not be as reliable for some folks as you can't get QoS over regular Internet so it way work good one day but not the next. I know for a VoIP system any latency north of 100ms users are going to start noticing bad voice quality. I am not sure if HD Video has less tolerance for latency, however I suspect it does. So this might work as good as a sling enabled mobile device.

Tossing money concerns out the window here is an option that I know would work.

Setup a point to point microwave system like the Motorola PTP 600.

Pluses:
Up to 300Mbps (150 up 150 down)
Up to 15 mile range with the standard integrated flap panel radio. 30 miles plus with optional antennas.
Simple networking setup as it can act like a bridge so the LAN segments can be the same on both sides.
Pretty much as dependable as a wired LAN no rain, fog, or snow fade. At work we have 2 links setup between two of our buildings 3 miles each and my ping speeds are about 2ms and as long as the radio has power and has not moved, have never had a problem in 2 years.

The not so good:
Need line of sight ( can't go thru hills or rock)
Operates in the 5.4 GHz range so not regulated by FCC. So first come fist serve.
Install but if you can point your dish and know about networks you are halfway there.

The really bad:
Cost only $20k per radio pair

So who might do this?

Say you have a barn/garage on a large parcel of land and want TV, Internet, and phone to this remote building and the main house. Might be the right solution sure beats running fiber.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Or just buy a pair of ubiquiti radios for much cheaper. Would work great in the shop where it is impossible to run a ethernet cable there.

Question is...will the joey power up and operate without a coax?

If not then, all of this is just a cute trick.

I see the Joeys connecting at 100Mbit, not 1 GBit. I am not in the equipment room to check the hoppers, but think they are connected at 100 Mbit. Wired, I'm less worried about, but wireless (even the forthcoming WiGig) makes me nervous as the environment is a free for all. These should work, but I'm not going to say it will always work. That's why they push the discrete (and dedicated) MoCA network.

With respect to the 16 port non-blocking switch, there are going to be a terribly small number of homes that have more than an 8-port switch. Heck, I don't have more than that (yet). I'll probably swap out at the homerun for a 16-port soon, just so that all rooms can be connected and never have to worry about moving around cables if I need to. I've had to do that once in the 6 years I've been in this house.

Interesting Dish only sprang for a 100mbit connection on the joey. I wonder what the hopper connect at? 100mbit would limit 5 20mbit/sec streams assuming OTA full HD. If the hopper had 1GBit it would not have any real limitations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts