John Calipari has some 'splaining to do

Calipari could have leaked this himself, to give him a pretext to resign to defend the integrity of the UK basketball program and therefore become eligible for one of the attractive NBA coaching positions that are open.

Calipari could have leaked this himself, to give him a pretext to resign to defend the integrity of the UK basketball program and therefore become eligible for one of the attractive NBA coaching positions that are open.

Thats what I was thinking when I heard about this.
This was his opportunity to get into the Pros, with all the rumors about him and James

he's got experience at paying players so he'd fit right in in the NBA

You guys are idiots. You didn't even read the article did you. The NCAA even says Kentucky nor Cal, had knowledge of what happened with Bledsoe before he went to UK.

You guys are idiots. You didn't even read the article did you. The NCAA even says Kentucky nor Cal, had knowledge of what happened with Bledsoe before he went to UK.

I wasn't referring to the article in particular. Just Calipari in General.

Calipari is the biggest slimeball in a Profession loaded with it.

It's no coincidence that UMass and Memphis both had to vacate Final 4 Appearances with the one common denominator being Cal.

If he(Cal) stays at Kentucky and gets them to another Final Four I predict that Kentucky will join Memphis and Umass on that list.

Probably will only be vacating a Final Four Appearnce though, and not a Championship because for all the recruitng gems yielded by Cal's unethical ways he's still a terrible on the floor X and O's Coach.

Calipari never has knowledge of anything that goes wrong around him. When Camby was wearing a $1,200 medallion, Calipari didn't realize that it wasn't costume jewelry.

Calipari surrounds himself with people who will do impermissible things to favor his interests without being told to.

cal is a douchebag.

Don't hold back, what do you really think of Coach Cal? :D

Its not ever his fault, its always the guys he has working for him and he makes sure he keeps himself ignorant of anything that is against the rules. The "plausible denialbilty" defense seems to be Cal's regular menu item.

Calipari never has knowledge of anything that goes wrong around him. When Camby was wearing a $1,200 medallion, Calipari didn't realize that it wasn't costume jewelry.

Calipari surrounds himself with people who will do impermissible things to favor his interests without being told to.

Exactly!

Coach Cal the King of Plausible Deniability.

One thing Kentucky fans need to keep in mind. Any program that Cal helms is always worse off upon his certain departure.

UMass
Memphis
New Jersey Nets

Don't hold back, what do you really think of Coach Cal? :D

Its not ever his fault, its always the guys he has working for him and he makes sure he keeps himself ignorant of anything that is against the rules. The "plausible denialbilty" defense seems to be Cal's regular menu item.

this is a family website or i would tell you my real feelings about him. he makes bobby petrino look saintly!

...UMass
Memphis
New Jersey Nets

Hard to say that UMass was worse off. What Calipari left behind was unfulfillable expectations and an unsustainable infrastructure.

I made good money off the success of the UMass basketball program while coach Cal was there. I outfitted the town's largest sportsbar, which never would have become a sportsbar if not to cash in on the interest in basketball that the revived program had generated. Fortunately for me, I moved out of town two years before it all crashed.

Calipari was instrumental in getting the new "Mullins Center" finally built, replacing the 4,000 seat "Cage" that had been the arena for this Division I school of about 26,000 undergrads. I have since read that Mullins has lost money since Calipari moved out of town.

The basketball program dropped to .500 level with his assistant coach, Bruiser Flint at the helm. Unfortunately for Bruiser, he only recruited kids who could read and write. No Loe Roes or Donta Brights.

He did leave some other carcasses along the way. Calipari had an on-air confrontation with the local radio sportscaster over a topic he refused to discuss during the Nike/Coach Cal show and demanded that he immediately cut to a commercial. That broadcaster's contract with the flagship station was not renewed after that, and the station gave him no reason for the non-renewal.

He also moved the coach's weekly show to a non sports bar the year after I departed. A little bird, who was sworn to secrecy, told me that it was because there was a dispute over a few thousand dollars worth of food bills rung up by people he had sent to that restaurant over the course of the season to have lunch "on him".

I'm puzzled by the criticisms I see of Calipari's coaching. During the two years that I ran the equipment for his coach's show, I watched the games closely, and he was the best game coach I have ever seen. When the program was in its ascendency, first beating a top 25 team, then a top ten team, then a number one, Calipari's game coaching made the difference between winning and losing in all of those big games.

But of course, back in those days, he could tell a Harper Williams or a Tony Barbee what to do and they'd do it. It could be that it is a lot harder to coach the one-and-done players that most teams have to rely on today.

Last edited:
this is a family website or i would tell you my real feelings about him. he makes bobby petrino look saintly!

and Petrino (aka the "itinerant coach") makes Satan looks saintly. :D

BTW. a columnist in a local paper (the biggest one in the state and only one that is state-wide) who is a UK bigot (would defend a UK coach, player, etc. i.e if they had video tapes of a murder they did, would say that it was the victims fault, you know the type) wrote an article yesterday about Cal calling him the "teflon John." And this was written by a guy who defends players who cannot read or write (quite literally) being allowed to play. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts