John Carter

I used to love the books. The problem is that Star Wars and other recent Sci Fi films have built on the John Carter books so much that any film based on them now will look derivative----even though these stories predate the recent stuff.

New Trailer..

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how it is. I enjoyed the books (and this is based on 3 of them) but I don't hear much buzz about this.

I'm heading out with my nephews to see it this afternoon. It is getting good reviews and apparently word of mouth is helping it, as it didn't do great at the box office domestically over the weekend. It did great overseas though.

The movie was OK, I saw it in Imax 3D. It was not that it was a bad movie, I would just not call it a great movie. There is a reason it was released in March and not during the summer.

The problem they have is that they spent 250 million on the movie, they have $100 million so far world wide (it did almost 2x outside the US as it did inside). They will probably make enough eventually to pay for it and there is work on a sequel. But, it is not turning out to be the replacement franchise for the Pirates of the Carribean. It will be interesting to see if the sequel is made.

My friend and I went to see this Monday night. We both came away feeling like this movie was extremely well done. I had never read the original books, but thanks to public domain, all the Edgar Rice Burroughs books can be downloaded on iBooks for free. Last night, I devoured "A Princess of Mars", the book credited in the movie.

Needless to say, I'm glad I saw the movie first. "John Carter" is another Reboot movie where massive changes were made to the story. Considering the originals are now close to one hundred years old, some refreshing is expected, but wow.

If you read the John Carter stories as a kid and think that all Science Fiction owes a debt to them, then I suggest you don't pay money to see this in the theater unless you can live with everything you know is wrong.

One thing that irked me after seeing the movie was the way the moons of Barsoom were imaged. Deimos should barely be visible while Phobos would move across the sky at quite a clip. Burroughs was aware of this and wrote it into his stories, but the movie treats them like the Eiffel Tower: if it's night, we must see two moons side by side so we know we're on Mars.

The movie is really based on 3 books not ust Princess of Mars.

I enjoyed but think that taylor Kitsch was a poor choice for the lead. the role really calls for an older actor and he just did not convince me he was John Carter. I agree Disney blew it. en the title was a mistake. A shame really ben those books.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts