Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Looks like someone pulled the plug on poor Plazzman.:eek: No points since 8/14/09.:(
I'm hoping he's on vacation and not anything worse. He hasn't logged onto SatGuys or the Folding Forum since the 13th.

After the Windows Updates and Apple updates, things are getting more stable here Folding-wise. But it's still not cool enough (for me) to forgo the AC at night...

still no plazz, wow, I really hope he's on just on vacation.

I think we saw the last of the little bits of warm weather for the year here. Not that it won't get warm again, but we just never saw the typical humid, upper 80's, mid 90's that summer usually brings. I think we barely averaged in the 80's for the most part this year, so I have kept all the home folders humming as the need for AC hasn't been great. Got all the windows open right now, nice breeze blowing, low 70's, upper 60's outside and looks to stay that way for a few days.

Roland, I know you aren't far from me but weather can be a funny thing, you seeing the same weather this summer I have? Bout the only difference is you have gotten the stormy weather and we've mostly gotten just rain aside from a few strong storm cells here and there this summer.

We had some bad weather come through last night, but it's been dry and cool for most of the summer. The heat started after we got back from vacation, but we've got a break the last two days. I've got the air off and the windows open tonight.

Plazzman has fallen off the EOC stats now. Anyone with 0 ppd for the last seven days doesn't get counted, I guess. If you look at our Team page, there is no longer a 7,000,000 milestone group. We could really use his help, too, as we're going to start moving backwards in the race towards the Top 100.

Well, with the new system now stable, decided to see what this folding is all about; joined the sat guys team and started my first what ever you call it. Looks like 1,500,000 steps, sitting at about 51% complete. Does seem like a good way to put an idle system to a noble use.

Well, with the new system now stable, decided to see what this folding is all about; joined the sat guys team and started my first what ever you call it. Looks like 1,500,000 steps, sitting at about 51% complete. Does seem like a good way to put an idle system to a noble use.
Welcome aboard.:up Tell us about your system and what folding client that you have installed.

Two and 1/2 weeks until we overtake Beefysworld.com Forums.:D
Plazzman is still flatlined.:(

The system is a homebrew rig that I build over the past month or so:
Core i7 920
Corsair XMS3 6 GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA x58 SLI LE motherboard
EVGA GTX 275 896MB GPU
WD Caviar Black 640GB HD
Corsair 750HX Psu
Win Vista Home Premium 64
Azza Solano Full Tower Case
Coolermaster Geminii S CPU Cooler

Posted on the first boot (not bad for a first time builder)

As for folding: Running the Windows CPU Client, Version 6.23.

Still trying to figure out the best way to do it. I've been pausing the work when gaming; leaving it do it's job when the system sits idle. I've heard that there is a way to utilize the GPU as well, but haven't had the time to dig into it. I'm using the handle INFPGeek (one of my "gamer" names).

Attachments

• 0826090051.jpg
    0826090051.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 57
The system is a homebrew rig that I build over the past month or so:
Core i7 920
Corsair XMS3 6 GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA x58 SLI LE motherboard
EVGA GTX 275 896MB GPU
WD Caviar Black 640GB HD
Corsair 750HX Psu
Win Vista Home Premium 64
Azza Solano Full Tower Case
Coolermaster Geminii S CPU Cooler

Posted on the first boot (not bad for a first time builder)

As for folding: Running the Windows CPU Client, Version 6.23.

Still trying to figure out the best way to do it. I've been pausing the work when gaming; leaving it do it's job when the system sits idle. I've heard that there is a way to utilize the GPU as well, but haven't had the time to dig into it. I'm using the handle INFPGeek (one of my "gamer" names).

Run the GPU console client. You will crank out the ppd.

Definitely - that way you are getting full use of your cpu and your gpu.
It's amazing how much the GPU is kicking my CPU's butt. Figured out (man am I slow) how to run the GPU client. Getting a performance on ranging from 330-360ns/day right now. 4 hours in and I'm at 15900000/20000000 on my current protein.

I guess 61C isn't too hot for my GPU - other temps: system Temp 29, cpu 44, vreg 44.

It's amazing how much the GPU is kicking my CPU's butt. Figured out (man am I slow) how to run the GPU client. Getting a performance on ranging from 330-360ns/day right now. 4 hours in and I'm at 15900000/20000000 on my current protein.

I guess 61C isn't too hot for my GPU - other temps: system Temp 29, cpu 44, vreg 44.
Download Riva Tuner and change the default fan speed to 80% or higher.:D

It's more about the ambient room temp. Have the fan manually set to 93%. The case I have has 2 140mm front fans, a 230mm side intake fan, an extra 120mm bottom intake fan, a 230mm top exhaust fan and a 120mm rear exhaust fan.

BTW, wow, went from 460points to 1790points in one afternoon.

(of course it won't show for a few more hours I guess?)

It's more about the ambient room temp. Have the fan manually set to 93%. The case I have has 2 140mm front fans, a 230mm side intake fan, an extra 120mm bottom intake fan, a 230mm top exhaust fan and a 120mm rear exhaust fan.

BTW, wow, went from 460points to 1790points in one afternoon.

(of course it won't show for a few more hours I guess?)

Yeah, the points post at intervals during the day.

My previous case was designed so that the heat from the hard drives overlapped with the video cards and was really creating an oven that was not being ventilated at all. A great case gets everything located optimally for temp control.

Of course, you start with ambient temps in the room...

Well, the one nice thing is in the winter, I can actually close the heat vents to the office in the basement with the PC's. :)