Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Foo, the Mac SMP WU servers appear to be down. I have a Work Unit sitting on my Mac and it won't upload. Plus, the Work Assignment server isn't responding, either. I wondered why it was so cool in here this morning...

Don't know why, but for some reason my bigadv WUs are not nearly worth as many points anymore. Only about 104k instead of the 300k that I was getting. Plus it takes a few tries for the machine to get a WU. Are the bigadv WU's hard to get now? Maybe I should switch back to normal SMP WUs?

Don't know why, but for some reason my bigadv WUs are not nearly worth as many points anymore. Only about 104k instead of the 300k that I was getting. Plus it takes a few tries for the machine to get a WU. Are the bigadv WU's hard to get now? Maybe I should switch back to normal SMP WUs?

Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger :tombstone:.

They're worth less now, details here Folding Forum • View topic - bigadv points changes
Vijay's blog page Folding@home has a bit of an explanation why.

You still get a bonus, just not as big. Personally, I'd say keep with the big ones, you've pulled this team out of the doldrums. :hatsoff:

Well, a 20% bonus is still decent.

I wonder what I should do on my home machine? It's an i7-2600 with Radeon 5770. Right now I'm just running one bigadv SMP client (Finishes with 59% of time remaining). I could run a 7 core SMP client and a 1 core GPU client. Not sure which setup would be better.

jgantert said:
I could run a 7 core SMP client and a 1 core GPU client. Not sure which setup would be better.
I'm not sure how many points the AMD GPU Work Units generate. I know that the nVIDIA WUs seem to garner more points based on the price of the board. Since your PC came with the 5770 card, I'd say it would be worth trying it for a couple of weeks to see how it Folds.

Folding is on hold until I&M restores power to our neighborhood. It may be a few days before we're back on the juice.

Sorry about that, folks.

Foxbat said:
Folding is on hold until I&M restores power to our neighborhood. It may be a few days before we're back on the juice.
Phew! Power was restored around 3am, but my UPS for the DSL/LAN didn't power up on its own, so we were off-line until a few minutes ago.

Sorry guys. I was away last week and someone turned my computer off. Now Folding at full steam again.

It has been a bad month of folding for me. Now looking at stats, looks like folders are out again, and I am on vacation...

Power outages and a slew of MS patches have been causing reboots...

Pop! Out of the blue, the power goes out again! I'm hoping the crews are in the area working on a circuit that required them to cut power while they make the repairs and we'll be back soon.

My son came back from his friend's house who still had power, so now he is :( because we're in the dark and the UPSes are beep-beep-beep-beeping.

My Folders are back on-line again. I forgot about the Windows Updates, though, so I need to check on my XP boxes.

Fold on!

It's been quite a while since I visited the FoldingForum, but with Lion coming out I thought I would check to see if there were any issues with the 32-bit app running on a fully 64-bit Mac. What I saw was interesting. No one asked "What about Lion?" in the Mac client forum. I finally found two whole entries in the Beta forum. Almost verbatim: "Will the OS X Client work on Lion?" "Answer: I am running the Beta and it Folds."

Has anybody here tried the Beta 7 client? I downloaded the 32-bit Windows client and the 64-bit OS X client but haven't tried them yet.

The V7 client is a game-changer in that there is one unified client for Uniprocessor, SMP, and GPU. It does this through "slots" and uses XML to define the client configuration. With this, you can have your machine Fold using your multi-core CPU and your fancy video card. You can specify that the GPU folds for one team while the SMP Folds for another. If you have multiple graphics cards, you create another slot and designate it as a GPU. It seems pretty radical, and yet a whole lot easier than the multiple directories needed to run the different clients now. Now, if they can just add an OpenCL client to take direct advantage of GPUs under Linux and OS X without using emulation or WINE.

I'm afraid that my Folding monitor will get broken when the new version goes in, not to mention InCrease which I use to keep an eye on the Folders in the basement. But, supposedly, remote monitoring is built-in to the new Client, so we'll see.

Has anybody here tried the Beta 7 client? I downloaded the 32-bit Windows client and the 64-bit OS X client but haven't tried them yet.

Been using it for a few month now. I set my x3 processor to run SMP on 2 cores and leave the other free for what ever else needs it instead of having all 3 maxed out.