Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Well after a lot of trial and error this evening I may or may not loose a few points?? The good news is I got the main point getter running Windows 7 RC and folding prime.. :up The 3 9800 GTX's are a tad tricky under the new 7 RC and eat a full core when running the SMP core along with them. Actually they don't eat the whole core but in order for them not to loose any point's or power you have to dedicate them to one core that the SMP Isn't using. On another good point I have now actually been able to overclock the AMD 940 on air to an acceptable 3.6 Ghz with the new operating system. As a result of this evening's play I may or may not be down a few point's as It took a few hours to get this running and on top of that I lost a few client's do to hardware issues at the office today!:mad: Gotta love Dell hardware that just makes it past the 3 year warranty by a week..!!! :rolleyes:

Fold On... !!! Plazz

Last edited:
Bebop, Sorry!!! I think we all just assumed that you were running the smp client on your quad and not the single processor client. Hope our apologies are accepted..:eek: Anyway onward and upward, you should be able to throw the Nvidia card in along with your new smp client and add around 5,000 PPD...:up

Fold On...!!! Plazz

bebop, when you say you gave up on the GPU client, do you mean the 9800GTX+ card you ordered? I can't imagine it would take too long to complete with your Q6700; my son's Dell 2.8 GHz P4 can crank out a nVidia WU in about 3 hours. According to the WU, it has a deadline of 6 days.
:D - no, I gave up on my crappy 3450 ATI card that I got for $20. I bought it in an attempt to do HDMI to my home theater right after I got my new computer. It works great for that use, but it doesn't fold. So I gave up even trying to complete a WU with it.

The 9800GTX+ is in route via UPS from Newegg right now. Which reminds me: the web-page from newegg said it was a GTX+, but the invoice says it's just a GTX (no +). And the part number matches up with EVGA's regular GTX model (not the +). So I'm wondering what they are sending. I sure wouldn't be happy if they sent the GTX and not the GTX+ since that's what I ordered. :confused:

The WU's for my ATI 3450 had 3 day deadlines and I needed about 4 more hours to get them to complete. Even if they had, I'd only be adding about 500ppd max. I was just hoping it would work, but I already spent the money to have the 9800GT:mad:+?) sent.

Bebop, Sorry!!! I think we all just assumed that you were running the smp client on your quad and not the single processor client. Hope our apologies are accepted..:eek: Anyway onward and upward, you should be able to throw the Nvidia card in along with your new smp client and add around 5,000 PPD...:up

Fold On...!!! Plazz
You don't need to apologize, I'm on a good learning curve here. I found this page and it's the best I've seen to explain F@H: http://www.overclock.net/overclock-...348-complete-detailed-guide-folding-home.html. We ought to promote it to anyone new to maximize their ppd and minimize frustration. I haven't read it all, but it's a great start. Any way to get this info more easily seen by our folders? Just need to remind them to use 55236 as the team number so we can get credit.

I'm hoping to be at around 7000ppd by the end of next week.

I had 2 instances of the single processor version working, and I could have done 3 or 4, but the SMP ppd looks like at least 2x as much even if I was running all 4 cores. The performance of my system is still good, even though my CPU usage is 100% all the time.

The only screwy thing (that seems independent of folding) is that my Acer monitor won't bring up my windows desktop when I turn it back on after being gone for a while (says no signal and thus needs a reboot to view my OS). I don't know if it's my graphics card or the monitor (or a combination). I hope the new card fixes it. It's a X193W+ monitor. I've tried messing with all the settings and it's intermittent at best. So I try to not turn it off and make it go into standby, but that's doesn't always work either. Oh well, no need to sidetrack this thread.

Last edited:
Well after a lot of trial and error this evening I may or may not loose a few points?? The good news is I got the main point getter running Windows 7 RC and folding prime.. :up The 3 9800 GTX's are a tad tricky under the new 7 RC and eat a full core when running the SMP core along with them. Actually they don't eat the whole core but in order for them not to loose any point's or power you have to dedicate them to one core that the SMP Isn't using. On another good point I have now actually been able to overclock the AMD 940 on air to an acceptable 3.6 Ghz with the new operating system. As a result of this evening's play I may or may not be down a few point's as It took a few hours to get this running and on top of that I lost a few client's do to hardware issues at the office today!:mad: Gotta love Dell hardware that just makes it past the 3 year warranty by a week..!!! :rolleyes:

Fold On... !!! Plazz
After looking around, your post here reminds me of the following.

Found this site tonight:

Folding Forum • View topic - Dual Smp Clients on Quad Core?

Post #4 shows 3 methods for running VMWare to run virtual Linux inside of your Windows OS and boost your ppd quite will, with 'no' hardware changes. Anyone look into this yet?

:D - no, I gave up on my crappy 3450 ATI card that I got for $20. I bought it in an attempt to do HDMI to my home theater right after I got my new computer. It works great for that use, but it doesn't fold. So I gave up even trying to complete a WU with it.

The 9800GTX+ is in route via UPS from Newegg right now. Which reminds me: the web-page from newegg said it was a GTX+, but the invoice says it's just a GTX (no +). And the part number matches up with EVGA's regular GTX model (not the +). So I'm wondering what they are sending. I sure wouldn't be happy if they sent the GTX and not the GTX+ since that's what I ordered. :confused:

The WU's for my ATI 3450 had 3 day deadlines and I needed about 4 more hours to get them to complete. Even if they had, I'd only be adding about 500ppd max. I was just hoping it would work, but I already spent the money to have the 9800GT:mad:+?) sent.
Glad that you got the SMP client working properly. It will really add to your point production. Now for some add-ons. Download Speed Fan and Riva Tuner to monitor your temps and adjust your fan speeds. You may also look into another cpu cooler if your core temps are too high. I really like this one (for Intel) but it takes up a lot of room in the case.

We have another folding team in our sights. NeoGAF, with 62 active users, goes down today.:D It looks like we will pass another team, Linux, on Friday. The SatelliteGuys Folding Team is on the march.:up

That new machine I brought online is really contributing. 18K yesterday.:D
The SatGuys have put up 743K points since May 1st. We have averaged 148,657 ppd so far for May.:D

Glad that you got the SMP client working properly. It will really add to your point production. Now for some add-ons. Download Speed Fan and Riva Tuner to monitor your temps and adjust your fan speeds. You may also look into another cpu cooler if your core temps are too high. I really like this one (for Intel) but it takes up a lot of room in the case.
I'll look into those. What range is 'too high' on the CPU temps?

I was thinking about over-clocking my CPU a tad to see if I can do it. Any suggestions or sites? It's an intel q6700 (one step up from the q6600) quad-core at 2.66GHz. I bet I could get a few more ppd by doing that. I also want to look into this VMWare for running virtual-Linux while logged into Vista. I heard you can get a good boost by having the SMP client run on Linux instead of windows.

I was thinking about over-clocking my CPU a tad to see if I can do it. Any suggestions or sites? It's an intel q6700 (one step up from the q6600) quad-core at 2.66GHz. I bet I could get a few more ppd by doing that. I also want to look into this VMWare for running virtual-Linux while logged into Vista. I heard you can get a good boost by having the SMP client run on Linux instead of windows.
My temps are currently running at 48C to 55C per core. This is with the new CPU cooler installed. They were in the 70 - 80C range.:eek: Both the GPU and CPU temps vary according to the demand that the clients are putting on them. Earlier today, my GPU was running at 69C and right now it is at 81C. Proper cooling is a must, especially if you are thinking about overclocking. With a 100% cpu load on all four cores, I try and keep the temps below75C. With the new cpu cooler, i haven't needed to adjust the fan speed manually. It usually keeps the cpu temps below 60C.:D Now for the gpu, I sometimes have to up the fan speed from 60% to 80%. Right now, it is at 100% with that 81C temp.

I'll have to look into the VM stuff. Don't have any experience with Linux yet.:eek:

My temps are currently running at 48C to 55C per core. This is with the new CPU cooler installed. They were in the 70 - 80C range.:eek: Both the GPU and CPU temps vary according to the demand that the clients are putting on them. Earlier today, my GPU was running at 69C and right now it is at 81C. Proper cooling is a must, especially if you are thinking about overclocking. With a 100% cpu load on all four cores, I try and keep the temps below75C. With the new cpu cooler, i haven't needed to adjust the fan speed manually. It usually keeps the cpu temps below 60C.:D Now for the gpu, I sometimes have to up the fan speed from 60% to 80%. Right now, it is at 100% with that 81C temp.

I'll have to look into the VM stuff. Don't have any experience with Linux yet.:eek:
I better check out my CPU temps after the increased load. Last night my computer rebooted itself, probably due to overheating now that you mention it. I couldn't find anything in the logs to indicate why.

I guess going from 50% load to 100% load was too much for my cooling setup. Sounds like it's worth investing in the $30 cooling hardware (just need to make sure it will fit).

In the instructions for installing the SMP client, there should be a note that says to check on the over-heating of your CPU. :(

I guess going from 50% load to 100% load was too much for my cooling setup. Sounds like it's worth investing in the $30 cooling hardware (just need to make sure it will fit).
...and so it begins. $30 for a new heatsync, $60 for a new P/S, $120 new graphics card... I warned you, this Folding can be quite addicting! (and expen$ive!)

Fold on!

To overclock you need a bios that supports it , so visit the forums for your mobo, and sites like EXTREME Overclocking - Tweaking PC Hardware To The Max or other sites for info.

As you said you thought you pc rebooted without OCing, not sure you have much to play with, but as mentioned it could be cooling, dont forget if you change the fan to replace the seating paste too.
My fan preference is this Newegg.com - ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks but it requires you to remove the mobo, but a much better connection, i hate the intel board pushpins !

I went from high 60s, to high 40's degrees running smp 24 hours on a q6600 oc'd to 3.2hghz, after fitting this fan.

As you said you thought you pc rebooted without OCing, not sure you have much to play with, but as mentioned it could be cooling, dont forget if you change the fan to replace the seating paste too.
My fan preference is this Newegg.com - ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks but it requires you to remove the mobo, but a much better connection, i hate the intel board pushpins !

I went from high 60s, to high 40's degrees running smp 24 hours on a q6600 oc'd to 3.2hghz, after fitting this fan.
That temp drop is great. My cores are running at 63 degrees (65 high, 60 low) with my CPU maxxed out. So I don't see why it rebooted without notice. I downloaded "Speed Fan" to monitor my system. I'm not OC'd and run at 2.66GHz.

My system is a bit more unstable now that I've started the SMP client. I notice my screen blanks out (flashes at about 1/2 Hz) for about 4 seconds occasionally (2 times a day or so). This started after starting the SMP client.

I backed off the max CPU usage to 90% to have a little buffer. I'll let you all know if things improve (stability, rebooting, etc.). My cores went down to 55 degrees when I stopped made this change.

Last edited:
That temp drop is great. My cores are running at 63 degrees (65 high, 60 low) with my CPU maxxed out. So I don't see why it rebooted without notice. I downloaded "Speed Fan" to monitor my system. I'm not OC'd and run at 2.66GHz.

My system is a bit more unstable now that I've started the SMP client. I notice my screen blanks out (flashes at about 1/2 Hz) for about 4 seconds occasionally (2 times a day or so). This started after starting the SMP client.

I backed off the max CPU usage to 90% to have a little buffer. I'll let you all know if things improve (stability, rebooting, etc.). My cores went down to 55 degrees when I stopped made this change.
When you install your new graphics card, your system performance should improve. The ATI cards need to use some of the CPU so it puts a small drag on performance. The NVidia cards have a much smaller overhead.

I finished my first SMP WU, after having backed off the CPU to 90%, with no problems! I'm expecting the 9800GTX today - hopefully it's the + model.

I finished my first SMP WU, after having backed off the CPU to 90%, with no problems! I'm expecting the 9800GTX today - hopefully it's the + model.
According to the feedback on the link you provided, it is.

Hey, bebop, I hope you got the right Team number and Username in your config file. According to EOC, you have 0 points/WUs for the last 24 hours!

According to the feedback on the link you provided, it is.

Hey, bebop, I hope you got the right Team number and Username in your config file. According to EOC, you have 0 points/WUs for the last 24 hours!
I hope there isn't a glitch. I verified the right username 'bebop' and team ID '55236'. They are a bit behind on pulling stats from Stanford's site.

Here's the official link:
Folding@Home

I'm on top with Team: SatelliteGuys.us It has me at about 2000 more points than EOC.