Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I am having an issue with one of my folding machines. I am using two Dell Inspiron 530 Q6600 machines with 9800GT cards. One is using Vista Home Premium and the other Vista Business. The Vista Home Premium machine has suffered the Nvidia Vista BSOD issue. It was working perfectly for the last three months and then Sunday night - BSOD. I have tried all the "fixes" that I could find on the internet. Next step was to do a clean install of Vista Business on this machine. Same issue when I install the Nvidia driver.:mad: Next step is to download Win 7 and hope for the best.:(

SatinKzo should reach 5 Million points in about 3 days.:up :D
Maybe 2 days now. My prediction for me is for two weeks, but I think I'll shut down most of my Folding Farm when I'm away. I don't mind letting things Fold on their own for a day or two, but I get nervous when it's longer than that. Besides, it's about time to shut everything down and go through a dozen cans of compressed "air" to blow away any dust bunnies that might have set up shop in the heatsinks...

I am going to try something with my problem machine. I am going to clone the hard drive of the 530 that is working properly and insert it into the problem machine. This should tell me if it is a hardware problem. I don't think it is because everything I read online says it is a Vista/Nvidia issue. I think it is related to the last update from MS. Everything was working fine before then. I also have ordered a new PSU, just in case.

Way to go, SatinKzo! It doesn't seem that long ago that we were neck and neck racing towards 4,000,000 points, and now here you are, past 5,000,000! Congratulations!

Well the problem on my problem machine turns out to be hardware related. The MSI 9800GT card is the problem. It will not work in XP/Vista/Win7.:mad: It works fine the the standard VGA mode but when you install ANY Nvidia driver, it gives you the BSOD. I think the problem is in the video bios but you can't access the video bios unless you can load a driver. I ordered a GTS250 to replace it.:D I also ordered a HD3850 (AGP version) for a Dell 4600. I will be losing one of my folding machines (Quad core) soon so the 4600 will have to pick up some of the slack.

I currently have Win7 (X64) running with the SMP client. Seems to running well. I will have to read the forums to pick up some Win7 tips.

Well Voyager6 just letting you know that your not alone in the boat. Lost an Nvidia 250 GTX + this week during all my computer swapping. Fortunately it doesn't blue screen and somehow passes all memory test but will not fold consistently. Nans and machine errors in Windows and now Linux also!! :rant: On top of that Lost one garbage laptop at work that was folding and have had to cut back once again on most of the work machines to folding outside of 8-5 hours. So my point's lately will reflect the pain..;):up

Only good news is I'm getting real close to being do for a new machine at the homestead... :):up

Anybody here have an octa-core box running Linux? I see Stanford has a new beta of the SMP client that allows the downloading of massive work units that take an estimated 3-4 days to complete, but are worth 25K points, plus a performance bonus.

Also, Stanford has addressed the botnet threat and totally neutralized both Team F-T-L and Team 163214. :up Folders are carbon-based once again!

Yes sir Foxbat I saw that on the forums. I have one machine at work that is an octa but could only squeeze about 6 free day's with it and figured by the time it ran the initial 10 WU's that are required with the pin number before you can actually get the bonus unit and with the reformat to linux that it wouldn't be worth it switch operating systems. Thought about running it with Virtual Box so it could still run in production windows but figured it would be killed by the 8-5 Virtual box usage. But who knows my new machine might be an Octa...:D:up

Gonna have my 3 GPU's and 1 SMP offline for 5 days or so while we head out of town. Temps are going to be in the 80's and I'm turning the AC off. Will be leaving 5 SMP's at work running though.

Well SatinKzo enjoy the time away..!!! I know I surely would.

Excellent Deal there Voyager6, glad to hear you are back and running.:):up

Good news on my end also as I took the failing 250 gtx+ to work and installed on one of the lesser used xeon quads and it is back folding..!!:)

Big :welcomeBack to the Scorpion.Sting glad to see those folders going at it again!!!!

Foxbat the parts for your experimental octa will arrive hopefully by next Wednesday so I expect half of all cost and I do accept checks..:D Will you be helping with the electric bill also? Oh'' by the way I will be giving you all the points from one of the processors and half the bonus points but the 2 video cards are going on my account K..?:p

I was looking at the Refurbished Mac Pros on Apple's Store site and trying to justify in my mind how I could trade up to one of the new Core i7-based Xeon (Nehalem) dual-quads, but the cheapest one currently shown is the 2.66 GHz model at $3,999. Much more "reasonable" is the previous generation 2.8 GHz Mac Pro dual-quad for $2,399. Considering I paid $2,199 for my 2.66 GHz dual-dual 2-1/2 years ago, that's not too bad.

Refurbed i7 dual-quads over on the Dell Outlet showed similar prices.

So far, so good with the two new video cards. Looks like the 3850 will avg around 2200 ppd on the Dell 4600. On my quad-core machine (running Win7 x64 now), the GTS250 and a smp client look to avg nearly 8.5K ppd. I was getting about 5.5k before with the 9800GT and Vista.:D

I will be away next week so production may fall off.

We are about 3 days away from overtaking Estonia.

Foxbat
is nearing the 5 Million Points mark.:up

Foxbat this is as close as I could come to your Mac Pro Killer..:)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAi-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Extended ATX Dual Intel Xeon Processor 5500 sequence (Nehalem-EP processor) ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16813182186 $389.99
Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Unbuffered Triple Channel Kit Server Memory Model CT3KIT25672BA1339 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820148259 $215.98 ($107.99 ea)
Intel Xeon E5530 Nehalem 2.4GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602E5530 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819117184 $1,079.98 ($539.99 each)

We will see how it performs.. I'm debating on Debian and or it's fledgling Ubuntu as the Op system.

I was looking at the Refurbished Mac Pros on Apple's Store site and trying to justify in my mind how I could trade up to one of the new Core i7-based Xeon (Nehalem) dual-quads, but the cheapest one currently shown is the 2.66 GHz model at $3,999. Much more "reasonable" is the previous generation 2.8 GHz Mac Pro dual-quad for $2,399. Considering I paid $2,199 for my 2.66 GHz dual-dual 2-1/2 years ago, that's not too bad.

Refurbed i7 dual-quads over on the Dell Outlet showed similar prices.

Excellent Voyager6 that should really help in are strive to hit that magical top 100 spot..!!!

Last edited: