Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I'm still working with insurance. Because of how things blew out. They ordered a full electical inspection. Looks like I might end up with a whole new service panel etc. I have checks in the bank for the fried equipment, but have not even begun to look at replacements until they determine the electical is up to snuff.
With a surge of that size, I would have them check every outlet and switch for damage. You might consider just having them replaced while the electrician is there. Pretty cheap insurance to prevent a fire or other problems down the road.

Quite a serious squall line came through the region, so I shut down Folding for an hour while the worst of the storms blew by. I took advantage of the downtime to blow out the dust from the heatsinks. I would have thought the basement would have been the nastier environment, but it was the Dell in the parlor that had the most dust.

Everything is Folding once again. There are still some boomers in the area, but nothing like two hours ago.

With a surge of that size, I would have them check every outlet and switch for damage. You might consider just having them replaced while the electrician is there. Pretty cheap insurance to prevent a fire or other problems down the road.

Yep, that's what they did. Re-did the whole house. Electrician was also doing one of the neighbors homes for same reason. Official word is somehow a few homes on the street got sent 480+ volts for a short time. I'm not an electrician, so I am not sure how it happened and since it happened after a storm rolled through insurance is classifying it as storm damage (no ding/rate increase category).

So now I have a brand new service panel, outlets and some older wiring was replaced (most wiring was absolutely fine they told me and the insurance company gave them the option to replace at their discretion so I have to believe they would have replaced it if it was even marginal since they basically had a blank check).

Also, APC did come through on their protection claim. I am surprised in all honestly. They had the electrician already here inspect the wiring, verified that the UPS's were all hooked to properly wired outlets etc. So low and behold I got 2 checks... 1 for new UPS's and 1 for the damaged equipment connected to the UPS's that got nuked.

Now with summer upon me though, I think I am gonna wait until some deals come around on parts and systems and hold off on folding until the temps and humidity go down.

I don't know what my son did to the PC with the nVidia card, but it looks like it lost it DNS settings and as such, it wasn't talking to the Internet. I fixed an hour or so and started a Virus Scan which found the bogus Virus Protection trojan. :mad:

I guess I'm rebuilding his PC this weekend...

I don't know what my son did to the PC with the nVidia card, but it looks like it lost it DNS settings and as such, it wasn't talking to the Internet. I fixed an hour or so and started a Virus Scan which found the bogus Virus Protection trojan. :mad:

I guess I'm rebuilding his PC this weekend...
It turns out the nasty he picked up was a process that changed his Proxy settings in IE to point to Localhost, port 5577. When the Microsoft Defender found and deleted the infected EXE, the proxy setting remained, so IE could not go anywhere. I also found a bogus Bing search engine as his default search. The icon was a reverse interpretation of Microsoft's Bing logo, so it looked legit. I removed both Bings and set Google as default, plus clicked the "do not let programs change search settings" checkbox.

Folding-wise, the latest SMP WUs for my Macs have been disappointing. It may be time to toss the ATI card in the HP wx8200 and replace it with something from the nVidia GX line.

Congratulations to Voyager6 on reaching (and passing) the 9,000,000 Points Milestone! Nice Folding, Tex!

I swapped out my 1.83 GHz Mac Mini for a Mac Store Refurbished special. Now I have 2.53 GHz of Core 2 Duo power Folding with 4 GB of RAM instead of the 1 GB the other Mac Mini came with. Seems much faster now! The frame times dropped to just under 15 minutes with the new box.

Boy, I can't wait for the summer heat to be gone so we can get our cold-weather Folders back on-line. We're running about half our normal Team Average PPD.

Boy, who pulled the plug? I've taken over the #1 spot. ScorpionSting shut down a week ago?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-20 at 08.41.06 .png
    Screen shot 2010-07-20 at 08.41.06 .png
    13.2 KB · Views: 147