Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I'm on EVGA's waiting list. Who knows how long it will take but I WON'T pay some ebay scalper's price.

Reactions: Foxbat
The GTX 1650 is around $160 or so and should be good for 300,000 Points per Day. I thought about picking one of these up to replace the GTX 750i I have in my 13 year old MacPro.

An RTX 3080 (considered by some to be the sweet-spot of PPD/$) is around $700 if you can get it for MSRP. Non-trivial purchase.

Reactions: KE4EST
It has been acting up. Partially I think it is the aging supply. It is not a standard off the shelf plug and play one either.

Partially I think it is the aging supply. It is not a standard off the shelf plug and play one either.
Nope, I had ordered an EVGA 1000 Watt P/S and had to send it back. :(. Non-standard MB connector, non-standard P/S plug. I didn’t feel like splicing a bunch of wires, hoping there were no mistakes made.

SatelliteGuys.US Team, please pour one out for my 2006 Apple Mac Pro which is no longer able to make the “Happy Mac” sound. I shut off the power to do some electrical work in the basement and when I restored power, the Mac Pro wouldn’t boot. The fan on the GTX 1060 card would spin for a quarter turn, then stop. I think the power supply has finally had enough after 13-1/2 years of continuous Folding, with brief breaks for new cards and new OS installs. But the Mac Pro was pretty much on all the time.

My Folding production will be limited to my Dell Precision T7400 for the foreseeable future. And just when I thought I might pass Voyager6 for the #2 spot on the Team, too…

No joy with the replacement P/S, either there is something wrong with the Motherboard or the replacement P/S was also bad. The Apple support document for the Mac Pro shows the Diagnostics LEDs indicate the Power Supply is failing PoST, but it doesn’t offer much help as to the steps to take troubleshooting the issue. I’ve removed all the graphics cards, drives, and I even tried removing the RD-DIMMs and replacing the CR2032 coil cell on the MB.

And my old nemesis, blown caps? Nope, Apple made a quality system with quality parts, no puffy caps to be seen. It’s dead, Jim…

• Sad
Reactions: EatMyVolts
That’s not right, down a Folding rig, and I’m the leading daily Points Producer? Was the October Microsoft patch release that dramatic?

I found a Dell T3500 tower for a good deal, but the single Xeon CPU is 2.4 GHz and has 2 non-HT cores. The tower case is also a little tight for full-length GPUs, but my GTX 1060 and GTX 750ti fit fine. No CPU FAH slot, though, ‘cause I ran outta cores. I found a Xeon X5680 6-core CPU that’s on its way to try and beef up things in this box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voyager6 and KE4EST
I've been living at crash central lately. And now something is making a whine inside, thought it was a hard drive bearing but I replaced with a SSD and it's still there. I know it's coming on time to build a new PC but I'd kinda wanted to wait until the 11th gen Intel chips were out - next spring. Just today I restarted folding on my Windoze machine (1070 and 2070) so I've been way down on points. Will see if it stays up over tonight.

Scott seems to be the only one of us without some sort of hardware bugaboo. He’s been chugging along at 1.2 MPPD since the change to the new CUDA FAH Cores. Voyager6 seems to have put any recent woes behind as well.

I wonder if that increase in Folding efficiency put extra strain on our older rigs, leading to things like P/S and other equipment failures?

Scott seems to be the only one of us without some sort of hardware bugaboo. He’s been chugging along at 1.2 MPPD since the change to the new CUDA FAH Cores. Voyager6 seems to have put any recent woes behind as well.

I wonder if that increase in Folding efficiency put extra strain on our older rigs, leading to things like P/S and other equipment failures?
Way to many updates and power outages here recently. I put the T7400 on a battery backup so no more unscheduled outages there.

EatMyVolts must have gotten it figured out; my hopes of regaining the top spot in the Team are unlikely now. My overtake estimate from EOC Forums got stuck on 3 weeks out, and now smasho’s results for yesterday showed over 3.5 MPPD!

But the great news is the Team produced over 11,000,000 Points yesterday for the first time in almost a month! Hopefully, that will help stop our slide down the Charts!

Reactions: EatMyVolts
EatMyVolts must have gotten it figured out; my hopes of regaining the top spot in the Team are unlikely now. My overtake estimate from EOC Forums got stuck on 3 weeks out, and now smasho’s results for yesterday showed over 3.5 MPPD!

But the great news is the Team produced over 11,000,000 Points yesterday for the first time in almost a month! Hopefully, that will help stop our slide down the Charts!
Those new graphics cards are killing us. I guess it's time to upgrade.

Well, one small upgrade I made to the “new” Dell Precision T3500 was to remove the 2-lung 2.4 GHz Xeon it came with and replace it with a 3.33 GHz 6-Core X5680. Now I have a pair of CPUs for the two GPU slots and a 4-core CPU slot.

I was on the fence about enabling HT as I read this particular generation of Xeon shared a Floating Point Processor between the regular core and the HT core. So, there may be more Integer Units in HT mode (12), but still the same 6 Floating Point Units which might cause contention in the Core_A8 Folding Core, leading to lower performance. I’ll let it run in this configuration for a couple of weeks and reboot with the HT enabled to try that out.

Right now, this $70 upgrade has added another 22K PPD to the box; not a huge amount, but it’s welcomed none the less.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST and Voyager6

With the latest Windows update (I really shouldn't have joined the program where you keep getting the bleeding edge updates) my main PC has stopped crashing and crashing and crashing. Swapping out my second drive for a SSD has stopped the bearing noise. Now I can wait for the 3080's to become available - and not at scalper's prices.

Reactions: KE4EST and Foxbat