Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

According to the FAQ your WU's are posted about 2 to 4 hours after you complete the first one.

If you completed others in the past for other teams (or no team) those wont display on our team count.

I want to see what I can churn out in the next day or two...

AMD X2 4200 (running two instances for both cores 100% on both cores)
P4 3.0ghz (running two instances for both cores 100% on both cores)
P4 2.0ghz (single core :( 100% )

Holding off on the other 2 1.8g Pentium-M's, and AMD Athlon 2500(Barton).

I want to see what I can churn out in the next day or two...

P4 3.0ghz (running two instances for both cores 100% on both cores)
P4 2.0ghz (single core :( 100% )

Holding off on the other 2 1.8g Pentium-M's, and AMD Athlon 2500(Barton).

I'v got a p4 3.0Ghz how do you get two instances running??

and why des It say i have 104 days till my WU is complete?

I'v got a p4 3.0Ghz how do you get two instances running??

and why des It say i have 104 days till my WU is complete?

I don't use the graphical versions.... I use the command line ones without the "fluff".

Does Folding@home run on dual processor or multi-core machines? Yes, you can in two ways. For linux or OSX/Intel, one can run our SMP client.

For other platforms, additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows). First, make additional directories for each processor and copy the FAH Console executable file into each. Then configure them with the -config switch, filling in settings for each. It is very important to make sure that under the "Advanced Settings" option each copy is given a unique machine ID (from 1 to 8). The first copy will default to a machine ID of 1, so additional copies should be given IDs of 2, 3, 4, etc. Each may then be run out of their installed directory, using the -local switch on windows.

Well, I had to use "Foxbat@SatelliteGuys" for a user name as someone else had grabbed "foxbat" :(. I've loaded the OSX SMP beta4 version on my 2.66 GHz Mac Pro so we'll see how long it takes before my CPUs get toasty. One is at 40?C and the other is 41?C (ambient is 22?C).

I've already noticed on issue with the beta: The viewer looks like it is blanking the video in the box and it does not show the actual protein being analyzed. I have no way of knowing my current status.

This reminds me of the old SETI@Home I used to run all the time. But this is a much better cause!

Last edited:
I don't use the graphical versions.... I use the command line ones without the "fluff".

Does Folding@home run on dual processor or multi-core machines? Yes, you can in two ways. For linux or OSX/Intel, one can run our SMP client.

For other platforms, additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows). First, make additional directories for each processor and copy the FAH Console executable file into each. Then configure them with the -config switch, filling in settings for each. It is very important to make sure that under the "Advanced Settings" option each copy is given a unique machine ID (from 1 to 8). The first copy will default to a machine ID of 1, so additional copies should be given IDs of 2, 3, 4, etc. Each may then be run out of their installed directory, using the -local switch on windows.

Digiblur, are you also running them as a Windows service or starting them manually. I found i had to go into regedit to add the -local to the -svcstart that was in windows services setup. Or am i doing something wrong ?

Digiblur, are you also running them as a Windows service or starting them manually. I found i had to go into regedit to add the -local to the -svcstart that was in windows services setup. Or am i doing something wrong ?

One batch file to kick off both instances. I'm picky, I don't like anything in my startup.

Drat! I forgot to disable the "sleep" on my system. Three hours after I went to bed, so did my Mac. I have only 33% of my WU complete instead of 75%...

I don't know about Vista, but you can get a Dashboard Widget for OSX that displays your current WU status as well as your Team rank and number of units completed:

It's a nice quick way to keep tabs on your status without opening up the Folding@home app.

Last edited:
I don't know about Vista, but you can get a Dashboard Widget for OSX that displays your current WU status as well as your Team rank and number of units completed:
(removed image to save space)
It's a nice quick way to keep tabs on your status without opening up the Folding@home app.

There's also Yahoo's Widgets. There's a folding@home widget available to those users as well

How do the points work? One unit on the PS3 seems to be about 290 points, and takes about 8 hours. One unit on my PC (5,000,000 cycles on a XP2500+) was 186 points and took about 2 days! Any ideas?

-John

BTW, those of us with dual- or quad-core CPUs should try using the SMP beta. I was looking at the F@H Forums and one of the mods mentioned that they reward beta testers with more points per WU completed. My first WU was worth 1440 points.

BTW, those of us with dual- or quad-core CPUs should try using the SMP beta. I was looking at the F@H Forums and one of the mods mentioned that they reward beta testers with more points per WU completed. My first WU was worth 1440 points.

Yep, I noticed that too. Been testing out the SMP one for about 2 hours.

Is it normal for it to assign you the same WU on different machines? I have two machines doing the same WU name, and two other machines doing another name but both are the same... So two machines are duplicating what two others are doing?

I've got about 8 machines here at work working on them....