Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Im having some heating issues at home, as the temp starts rising here in CA, so will only be folding at night moving forward. Will take me 3 days to finish a WU, but within the timelines required.

Same here, I stopped folding on a couple of machines during the day because it's been too hot.

My work machines are running World Community Grid - they actually pushed it out to us - talk about fluffing the numbers!

Anyways, I setup folding on two of my home machines yesterday and I'm thinking I can come up with a couple more ;). I'll now be contributing to the cause.

Wow, SamPatterson is moving up the ranks. He's now in fourth place and breathing down jgantert's neck. He seems to keep on getting those juicy 1,760 point WUs.

The Team is up to 62 real members. :up (Markd keeps on throwing me off one.)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed: I've got about another 40 minutes to go until my next WU is complete. I've had so any problems this last week that it would be nice to have some smooth sailing for a change...

I don't believe it... I've been waiting for us to roll over 600,000 points, and it's like "Arrivederci, Fiero": we're stuck at 599,997!:
Code:
Date of last work unit   2007-05-08 21:09:40
Active CPUs within 50 days               163
Team Id 	                       55236
Grand Score 	                      599997 (certificate)
Work Unit Count                         1717 (certificate)
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate)  861 of 64934
I can't wait any longer; I'm going to bed...

Hey Sampatterson, what are you running ? You are racking up pts like a maniac.

Anyone here use the GPU client? I have a line on a ATI X1950Pro with 512meg PCIe 16x card and I think I'll pick it up and run the GPU on it. Curious if others here are using it.

I tried the first file in the list on my PCs are found it to run REALLY slow on my Intel hypertheaded PCs. I noticed it runs the virtual CPUs at 50%.

It runs like a champ on my Athlon64 though.

I installed the SMP 'run as a service' client on my main PC and it is trucking along much better. I rebooted do to patch today and it looks to have corrupted something and trashed the work unit :(.

The only annoyance of running this is my CPU fans are working overtime and are noticably louder at night.

The only annoyance of running this is my CPU fans are working overtime and are noticably louder at night.
Yep the folding team says folding stresses a machine much more than some of the stess testing products out there.
The heat being pumped out is why randalla and I have gone to night only folding. MY C2D cores normally run about 35 degrees, with the folding they are running at about 50 degress.

52 degrees while folding for me for the last two days so I paused the folding and I'm running it at night only. Weather should return to normal in cool San Francisco soon.

Also for the P4 machines, I disabled Hyper Threading and they seem to be moving along better. They were so slow before.

Anyone here use the GPU client? I have a line on a ATI X1950Pro with 512meg PCIe 16x card and I think I'll pick it up and run the GPU on it. Curious if others here are using it.
Me, too. I think the addition of a $200 ATI card might be more effective than upgrading a CPU or getting a whole new PC. Plus, you'd have a really sweet graphics card ;)...

I installed the SMP 'run as a service' client on my main PC and it is trucking along much better. I rebooted do to patch today and it looks to have corrupted something and trashed the work unit :(
I have a similar experience on my Mac. Last night I got notified that there were Microsoft Office 2004 updates available. I went ahead and applied them, figuring they would not require a reboot, and shortly thereafter, one of my Folding SMP Clients croaked with an Interprocess Communications error (in reality, caused by one of the SMP cores crashing). Another Work Unit lost :mad:

I'm beginning to see a pattern of running the Installer on the Mac and screwing-up WUs in Progress. I may get a PS3 just to cut back on the frustration!;)

Wow, SamPatterson is moving up the ranks. He's now in fourth place and breathing down jgantert's neck. He seems to keep on getting those juicy 1,760 point WUs.

It is probably because I am running the SMP version on 2 of my QuadCore Intel EE processor boxes at home. I think they get fed those juicy units by F@H. They take less than a day to do a full large workunit.

Wow Sam, nice to have those machines on the team! Custom builds?

I am severly into gadgets, and don't mind bragging a bit also. ;-) Yes, built both myself using 975XBX2 Intel boards, 4GB RAM, NVidia 7950GX2 in one, and Nvidia 8600GTS in other . One is my Media Server (currently @ nearly 9TB storage - areca 24 port sata raid card using RAID6) running Windows Server 2003 64bit, the other is my MediaClient for the livingroom running Vista32 Ultimate MCE. They both don't do much so pretty much get 100% of the CPU time unless I am playing Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, then they only get about 60% of the CPU.

Very nice Sam. Nothing wrong with bragging a bit. Little bit of change sunk into em, but you have a use for it it looks like. Best part of customs is spec'ing and building!

I am severly into gadgets, and don't mind bragging a bit also. ;-) Yes, built both myself using 975XBX2 Intel boards, 4GB RAM, NVidia 7950GX2 in one, and Nvidia 8600GTS in other . One is my Media Server (currently @ nearly 9TB storage - areca 24 port sata raid card using RAID6) running Windows Server 2003 64bit, the other is my MediaClient for the livingroom running Vista32 Ultimate MCE. They both don't do much so pretty much get 100% of the CPU time unless I am playing Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, then they only get about 60% of the CPU.

Nice! :hungry:

:up:up:up Now, that's some serious horsepower! My wife thinks I have a big computer; I need to show her this and say, "See? It could be worse..." ;)

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US team, Shawn95GT & bigalbklyn! Also, I see Neutron and junianby started Folding a few days ago.

Here's a list of new members from the last week courtesy of the Kakao Stats site:
55236-7.png

Now that's really freaky: It seems that every time I check on the Team's position, it's a Dish receiver number. One time it was 942, then 921; now it's 811!

Last edited: