Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This morning, Sling TV announced that it will launch limited cloud DVR beta program for Roku users<http://news.sling.com/press-release...oduces-cloud-dvr-debut-beta-select-roku-users>. The invitation-only beta program will begin in December, with support for additional devices to follow in the coming months.

Sling TV's cloud DVR will not have a 28-day restriction on your recordings, and will boast features such as conflict-free recording, the ability to pause, rewind or fast-forward recorded content, and simple space management. At launch, the beta program offers up to 100 hours of cloud DVR storage at no extra charge to Roku users who participate in our beta program. Sling TV will continue to develop our DVR feature with customer feedback, including the ability to upgrade storage space and protect recordings. Customers may request an invitation at http://www.sling.com/dvr (link fixed) :)

Reactions: gadgtfreek
This is freaking awesome, 100 hours!!! tigerfan33 whats odd is, on my XBox S the max bitrate is like 6 mbps and it looks quite good, on my roku I never see over 4. Issue with the S is, the app is BUGGY as hell.

Should have known Dish would be working on this, they always do technical better than most many times.

Interesting for sure. But, I would like to see them spend the time and money on making sure a customer can connect and stay connected. I have found it is best not to even try during prime time. It is not my internet provider. I have streamed hundreds of hours from Amazon with only two times the connection was interrupted. The DVR function would be nice to have. Maybe they are working on both.

Which device are you using? I dont think all of them behave equally. My Roku Ultra is almost flawless, where my Xbox sucks.

Kinda like how Vue is nice on the Fire, but sucks on the Roku.

according to Variety. It wont be able to record any Disney/ABC/ESPN channels

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/sling-tv-dvr-test-100-hours-storage-1201927575/

However, Sling TV’s DVR feature will not be available for Disney, ABC or ESPN channels — because the Disney-owned networks’ distribution agreements for Sling do not allow recording of their programming on the internet-delivered service. Sling TV’s cloud DVR beta program will be available first to customers using Roku streaming players and Roku TVs, starting in December. It will be available at no extra cost to subs with either the single-stream Sling Orange package or the multistream Sling Blue plan.

I can live with that.
Through my core i5 laptop with windows 10. I then send picture to my 65" TV for viewing.

I think that is it then. Part of the reason the Sling TV sucks on the Xbox S is the Win 10 app needs an upgrade. I read an article somewhere that is supposed to happen at some point. Im pretty sure, me using the app on the Xbox S is the same as you using it on a Win 10 PC.

With the 100 hour recording limit, I hope Sling lets you be more selective in what you record. On PS Vue, to record my local team's college football game, Vue records everything with "college football" in the title. And you can't selectively delete individual episodes/games either.

Normally 100 hours is plenty for me because I watch most of my weekly shows within 3-4 days.

Yeah, since I have an OTA Tivo, 100 hours would be plenty. Mine isn't so much space as it is time, which is why the 28 day deal is not enough for me.

I can live with that.

I think that is it then. Part of the reason the Sling TV sucks on the Xbox S is the Win 10 app needs an upgrade. I read an article somewhere that is supposed to happen at some point. Im pretty sure, me using the app on the Xbox S is the same as you using it on a Win 10 PC.
Very interesting. Sling must stream with different "electronic parts" than what Amazon uses. As I stated Amazon plays 99.8% purrrrfect. NBC and CBS also play without any "stop and pause" problem.
I will wait and see if I find Sling useful before I buy a device that should/may make it play better.

I think it is the app and how it works with windows 10. Amazon and Netflix are their own apps, and they work perfectly on my Xbox S, where the Sling TV app cuts out, hangs, gives me the spinning orange arrow, a LOT.

This will be interesting. Vue's DVR shifted me from Sling to Vue, but with Vue losing Viacom, maybe head back to Sling once this goes wide distribution. Only issue is that Vue still has the on demand rights for channels like NBCSN while Sling does not.

Vue's DVR shifted me from Sling to Vue...
We were an early adopter with Sling TV and I tried my best, but my wife just couldn't accept the lack of DVR so we switched to a Charter bundle (TV + internet) earlier this year. If Sling TV's DVR service is decent, I would switch back to them in a heartbeat (and try their Blue package this time)! I have a HTPC still running Win7 (to use WMC) to record OTA network programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)