Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Amazing what 8 months can bring to a market TV wise

At the beginning of the year it was just ABC (KAIT 8) and PBS
Then KAIT added NBC as subchannel
Then they got a new Fox station (KJNB) in July

Now I found out (courtesy of a member here) that the same folks who started the FOX station is going to start a CBS on 8/1 on KJNE-LP channel 42

So they will be a full market then.
According to rabbitears and FCC this station (unlike FOX) will broadcast from downtown Jonesboro

highly unlikely. Probably a CW subchannel as the owner runs the cable only CW station. CW programming (only the syndicated stuff) is filler on the FOX station. No actual CW programming is on that station.

With a good outdoor antenna Memphis is possible. In these smaller markets I think the goal is to have the networks first ;)

I was reading the mess at the end of its Wikipedia article about the MNTV/AntennaTV/Doctor TV affiliated situaton. By reading the article the station tried to affiliate itself with other networks and got stood up. What they should do is launch the CBS with a MNTV and MeTV. This is a market we need to keep tabs on. You need to promote your current antenna setup to the people in this area.

I'm looking forward for anything we get here in northeast Arkansas. Having Dish, we get our locals from Memphis and they aren't in hd. With an antenna here, we are able to receive KTVJ which is 57.8 miles away. However, we aren't able to pick up KJNB the new Fox station up on an antenna. I've seen that it's 40.3 miles from our house. I also seen the new CBS is 40.8 miles away, and I'm not expecting to pick it up either. With the other rumors that there may be more stations on the way, I've got to hope that Dish will add them for us. Interesting note, when KJNB came on on Dish, I didn't see it in the weeks uplink report. Maybe it was on a few weeks earlier and I didn't pay attention that it was for the Jonesboro market.

I'm looking forward for anything we get here in northeast Arkansas. Having Dish, we get our locals from Memphis and they aren't in hd. With an antenna here, we are able to receive KTVJ which is 57.8 miles away. However, we aren't able to pick up KJNB the new Fox station up on an antenna. I've seen that it's 40.3 miles from our house. I also seen the new CBS is 40.8 miles away, and I'm not expecting to pick it up either. With the other rumors that there may be more stations on the way, I've got to hope that Dish will add them for us.
Couple notes
KVTJ is full power whereas the FOX and new CBS are low power (15,000 watts).
FOX tower is not in Jonesboro. Its in Walnut Ridge
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/jonesboro-ar-gets-a-local-fox.351014/

The new CBS station will be in downtown J'Boro (same tower as the locally owned radio stations)

Interesting note, when KJNB came on on Dish, I didn't see it in the weeks uplink report. Maybe it was on a few weeks earlier and I didn't pay attention that it was for the Jonesboro market.
Looking at the old uplinks on 6/3 it was changed. It was just a call sign change from the Memphis FOX to KJNB

Last edited:
So are you saying Dish is actually still carrying WHBQ out of Memphis for FOX and just changed the calls and perhaps the channel number?

So are you saying Dish is actually still carrying WHBQ out of Memphis for FOX and just changed the calls and perhaps the channel number?
no I goofed up. Dish changed out the FOX station from Memphis to the local one. But instead of putting it on 39 (FOX's actual PSIP number), dish left the channel 13 slot there with the new FOX programming/guide info.

Dish seems to do that in markets where an imported affiliate gets dropped when a local affiliate starts up. Dish did the same thing whem KAIT-DT2 (NBC) started. They put it on chanel 5, which is where (imported) WMC was.

CBS launched today. According to FOX 39's FB page they have had a test signal for cable companies for a couple days (assume its fibred)

Jonesboro is now a full market (Big 4 + PBS)

I guess with it being low power, 50 miles is too far out on ota for us. I can see that, as it could run into Memphis. Just sucks for the rest of us in the Jonesboro market that can't pick it up. I was reading on the KJNB facebook where a guy said he couldn't pick up that signal with an antenna from 20 miles away. I guess that as you've said in the Dish uplink reports that they have been putting markets sub channels up only in sd. Which would explain why the KAIT NBC is brought to us that way. No problem picking it up with the ota tuner on the Dish though.

This area has always been a 2- channel area for over the air.....In the analog days though if you had a killer antenna set-up, you could get several stations out of Springfield, St.Louis,Memphis, Paducah, and Cape Girardeau. With digital, we were back to two channels regardless. The NBC addition helped out a lot. Hopefully someone can up the power on the FOX station......

Reactions: Mr Tony
FOX is at the maximum power for a low power station which is 15000 watts. the issue is the tower location is not right in jonesboro like CBS is.

Its up the road like 25 miles if I remember right

FOX is at the maximum power for a low power station which is 15000 watts. the issue is the tower location is not right in jonesboro like CBS is.

Its up the road like 25 miles if I remember right

My parents live north of Walnut Ridge about 40 miles, across the state line in MO. I will call them and see if they can pick up either stations. They currently get channel 8 which is ABC and NBC, channel 19 which is PBS, and sometimes tropo on the Memphis stations.....They can not get Cape Giraradeu or the Poplar Bluff stations at all. They are using a double bay Gray Hoverman (with a pre-amp) which I built and tested here with the St.Louis stations, and it seemed to work very well. ( I am about 65 miles out of STL). I can get all the STL stations, even PBS, but it looses lock sometimes because they are very low power........Which is funny, because they used to be THE strongest station back in the analog days.