Juggling Receivers

muleman1

Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Fort Myers, FL
I'm looking for advice on juggling receivers between my motor coach and my sticks n' bricks. I currently have two VIP612's (one owned, one leased) and a Wally. When we travel I usually take one of the DVR receivers with us to supplement the Wally which stays on board the coach. We've just moved and I'm planning on upgrading to Hopper and multiple Joeys in our new home. Here's my question. It's my understanding that the VIP612's won't work in conjunction with the Hopper/Joey setup, but can I still use it as a "stand alone" receiver in one of the rooms in my home?

I'm looking for advice on juggling receivers between my motor coach and my sticks n' bricks. I currently have two VIP612's (one owned, one leased) and a Wally. When we travel I usually take one of the DVR receivers with us to supplement the Wally which stays on board the coach. We've just moved and I'm planning on upgrading to Hopper and multiple Joeys in our new home. Here's my question. It's my understanding that the VIP612's won't work in conjunction with the Hopper/Joey setup, but can I still use it as a "stand alone" receiver in one of the rooms in my home?
Here is my advice. Replace one of the ViP612's with a Hopper Duo, and replace the other ViP612 with another Wally. You can use an external hard drive to transfer the existing recordings from your ViP612's, and they will play on the Hopper Duo. (Or better yet, transfer the recordings to the internal drive of the Hopper Duo. Then you could reformat the external hard drive for use with the Wally.) The Hopper Duo is just as easy to hook up as the ViP612, and it is much smaller and lighter-weight. Using the external hard drive with the Wally, you would still have two tuners for recording, just like you are used to having with your other ViP612. (Activating the external hard drive DVR functionality for the Wally would cost a one-time fee of $40, if you have not already paid that.)

Reactions: Stormy_2021
My advice is...
Don't juggle more than 3 receivers at a time...
You'll always end up breaking the 4th on your head... or your head on the 4th...

Same goes for chainsaws, machetes, and baby Great Whites...

Reactions: pattykay
I would definitely go with the H3 and Joeys.
Either take the H3 with you in the coach or by a second H3 to keep in the guest bedroom (coach). I believe if you own it, you can turn it on and off any time you like to minimize monthly expenses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)