Junior to the Rays?

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
ESPNNEWS is reporting that ken griffey jr is considering waiving his no trade clause to be traded to the tampa rays. i just turned it on and saw the breaking news alert!!!

Must be why they took him out of the game in the 5th inning.

some clarification.....espnnews actually got the info from sports illustrated. evidently jr has told his buddies that if the reds were to trade him and tampa remains in the race, he would consider waiving the clause. saturday, they were saying on the fox broadcast that junior is not appreciated in cincy because of all the injuries. i hate to say this but my gut tells me he's gone by trade deadline. and if he has to go, tampa is okay with me. its less than a 3 hour drive from where i live!

MLB.com is reporting that Griffey and his agent are both denying the rumors. Of course, that's usually the way it works. I can't think of the times when an agent and player have denied a rumor like this only to end up where the rumor originally indicated they would be. :rolleyes: I personally think it would be nice seeing Griffey in Tampa. No doubt about it, they are a very fun team to watch and Griffey would at least add leadership to the team. I think he will certainly be gone by the trade deadline. I think that, at some point, he'll end up back in Seattle.

Cade

the trade would work for me.

The diminished-skills Griffey Jr. can finish up his MLB career somewhat close to his Florida residence.

actually, it sounds like he would prefer tampa because its close to his orlando home. he can pprobably DH for the rays. but there are sticky issues....most notably, his $16 million option for next year. and i also wonder how many, if any, top prospects the rays would have to give up. i think if junior can dh, he probably has 2 or 3 more years left in him. howver, since the rays have a small budget, you wonder if they want to open their pocketbooks that much!!

They might be able to afford some decent pitching if they let them both go.

I'm pretty sure the current Red putting the most butts in the seats is Jay Bruce.

And the Reds haven't been in the top 20 in average attendance since 2004 anyway.

This would be a pretty stupid move on Tampa's part. They're doing much better than anybody expected.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Reds GM was interviewed during the early innings of the game on Sunday on WLW's coverage and more or less said the fire sale was on.

The question is, who will care?

No Griffey + No Dunn = attendance spirals downward

actually, i beg to differ. i watch enough reds games too know that junior has been underappreciated since his arrival in cincy. dunn hits for power but he also strikes out a lot.

beside, the fans are smitten with jay bruce and the new reds. quite frankly, he, joey votto, edison volquez and johnny cueto are putting hineys in the seats. i don't think the reds would lose much trading either junior and/or dunn. and as ramy suggests, if it brings decent pitching and hot prospects...its worth it!

beside, the fans are smitten with jay bruce and the new reds. quite frankly, he, joey votto, edison volquez and johnny cueto are putting hineys in the seats. i don't think the reds would lose much trading either junior and/or dunn. and as ramy suggests, if it brings decent pitching and hot prospects...its worth it!

You are dead right. Griffey and Dunn (plus Ryan Freel) are the most criticized and most disliked players, by the fans, on the team. All three of them also probably have the MOST fans of any players on the team as well, however. Most Reds fans have strong opinions about all of them.

Griffey, no doubt, is washed up. People use his injuries as an excuse as to why he didn't live up to his expectations, and while that is true, that doesn't explain why he can't hit in the clutch.

Dunn strikes out too much, is a defensive liability, and doesn't give a flip. He has shown no progress in improving parts of his game that are sorely lacking.

Freel, quite simply, has the lowest "Baseball IQ" I've ever seen. He constantly gets picked off base, tries to steal and gets thrown out when they are two runs behind, dives for balls (and misses) in the outfield allowing hitters to take second or third instead of letting them drop in front of him for a single, and plays so recklessly that he gets hurt and makes the team have to scramble for a replacement. 100% total idiot..... and I've met him personally--he's a punk.

But every Reds fan likes the new guys. They are the reason I've been going this year--not the deadweight that needs to be removed from the roster.

If I were the Rays, I will not do it. Do not mess up the current chemistry of the team for players that will become waste later. The rays are fun to watch because of their young team. If they can keep that team together for two or three years, they may pull another Marlin one of these years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts