just an idea google play store on the hopper 3

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
with Airtv player debuting starting today that will have the google play store has dish ever thought of doing a google play store app so if one person would like to download thousands of apps from the store like different music,video and other things. it is just an idea and i am throwing the idea out to you guys at dish.with everything going streaming nowadays.

thanks

Allen bluegras

i forgot about that then why is airtv player which part of dish can do google play store.
An app is just a program. It can work on multiple platforms, from Android to Apple (iOS, MacOS, TVOS, etc) to Windows to Roku and so on. You oversimplify things.

An app is just a program. It can work on multiple platforms, from Android to Apple (iOS, MacOS, TVOS, etc) to Windows to Roku and so on. You oversimplify things.
i am sorry but its a good idea for dish to work on something so we can maybe get more streaming choices would you like more choices to choose from music to anything else you want

Reactions: Kizzer
No Allen, sorry but I find I have way more options on my H3 currently then I will ever have time to look at. I would rather the H3 be good at what it is supposed to do which is DVR satellite and OTA programming than add useless additional apps.

I like the idea of the new box having the android TV OS, but it makes me wonder a little bit why Dish stuck with their old (Unix I believe) OS for the Hopper 3. The H3 with Android as it's OS could have been a real game changer! Imagine all the apps, search across the different platforms, and voice functionality already baked into the OS. Not to mention the stability that we're lacking now in many ways.

Reactions: bluegras
I like the idea of the new box having the android TV OS, but it makes me wonder a little bit why Dish stuck with their old (Unix I believe) OS for the Hopper 3. The H3 with Android as it's OS could have been a real game changer! Imagine all the apps, search across the different platforms, and voice functionality already baked into the OS. Not to mention the stability that we're lacking now in many ways.
thats true why cant dish could work on a some kind of software that would work with google play apps you have think how many apps we could have on our hopper 3 and for the folks who disagree with me no problem at all.dish could add spotify,tunein and a bunch of other streaming apps :)

thats true why cant dish could work on a some kind of software that would work with google play apps you have think how many apps we could have on our hopper 3 and for the folks who disagree with me no problem at all.dish could add spotify,tunein and a bunch of other streaming apps :)

It's not quite that simple. The apps on the google play store are written for the Android OS, which was based on a Linux kernel. They're in no way compatible with the Hopper OS. That's why it would have been nice for Dish to use Android TV as their new OS from the start. Failing that, it would require some type of emulator, and that could be quite a challenge to code. Think about how long it took Google who owns Youtube and Android and has close to unlimited funding to come out with their app for the H3 Or Netflix is another good example. They have had to code multiple apps for the Dish receiver and the 4K app still doesn't work.

but it makes me wonder a little bit why Dish stuck with their old (Unix I believe) OS for the Hopper 3
Dish uses a Linux base for almost all, if not all, of their current receivers. They used to publish their kernel changes and may still, but whether it's "old" or not isn't really that big of a deal. They could be using a Linux kernel that's 5+ years old and as long as it's stable and reliable, Dish is happy. They can even back-port security fixes. Years ago, this would have been unnecessary, but today, with the boxes being connected to the internet, they may do this now.

Dish also shares A LOT of code between receivers and for good reason. It's not a simple task of switching to another OS just because it's available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts