Just curious

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
As site operator, is there an option to mark a certain poster, so that when he logs in, he makes and sees his own posts but nobody else does? That he is invisible to everyone else but himself? Just as a way of discouraging certain posters when he gets no acknowledgement of his posts?

Yes there is such a feature, but it does not work good, as when you enable it it shows posts by the user as "You have decided to ignore this user" shown instead of the message... so then I get million PM's asking what is wrong with the user accounts as they can not figure out how they set the user to ignore. (When they didn't set the user to ignore.)

We have only used this feature once, but it caused more trouble then it was worth.

You'd think site operators would insist the feature work well and invisibly.

But I guess the "perps" would twig on soon enough.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

if a user is so disruptive that you wish to completely ignore them from the site all you have to do is remove there posting ability.

I would like to see the ignore feature prevent the ignored from being able to read your posts. It doesn't happen often but we've all had the smart aleck/borderline stalker replying with nonsense to your posts. Sure, you can ignore them...but that only means you can't see them quoting you and replying to your posts. Hardly an ignore feature.

Interesting idea.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would like to see the ignore feature prevent the ignored from being able to read your posts. It doesn't happen often but we've all had the smart aleck/borderline stalker replying with nonsense to your posts. Sure, you can ignore them...but that only means you can't see them quoting you and replying to your posts. Hardly an ignore feature.

I have to agree. If a user is to the point that they are so disruptive that the moderators want to make all their posts invisible, that user should be banned. What is the point of trying to protect the feelings of the individual by hiding all their posts?

They would not know they are banned, and would not try to re-enter via another name at another location.

Until other members quote those posts from the ignored member.....

I have to agree. If a user is to the point that they are so disruptive that the moderators want to make all their posts invisible, that user should be banned. What is the point of trying to protect the feelings of the individual by hiding all their posts?
I agree - ban them if they're that bad. The other method suggested (via the tool that Scott says doesn't work well) sounds childish. Actually, cowardly is more like it...

Smite The Unbelievers! Or at least those living off the deep end. :eek: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts