Just Downgraded Programming

I also downgraded to AT60. I wish I could downgrade even more (we only watch 2 or 3 of the channels).

We have netflix and love it. We replaced almost all our sat watching with netflix.

minnow said:
I've been toying with the idea for a couple of months now and after really finally seriously looking at the stations we watch on our current AT120 and what we would give up be going down to AT60, I found that we were paying 10 bucks extra each month for three offerings that we would miss a little. So after talking it over with the wife who was really all for the downgrade, I called this morning and pulled the plug on AT120. And while I was at it I had a third receiver deactivated and the $1.99 extended warranty taken off as well. Dropped the bill by $18.00 a month.
I figure if anything goes bad with one of the two remaining activated receivers I can just reactivate the one we had disconnected. And if something really blows up, I'll just call TW and sign up for the three in one service and end up saving even more money that what were forking out right now.
It's just getting to be too much money each month for internet/tv and telephone.
I wonder how many others are downgrading as well ? I wonder if E* is listening ?
My bill is now $84 per month.I have AT120, Superstations, locals, HBO and Max..3 receivers...I am going to discuss going to AT60 with the wife and knowing her, she will agree..She thinks $1.380 is too much..LOL!!!
the only station I would miss is maybe ESPN Classic..BUT..Since I have the HBO/MAX value pak if I go to AT60 My bill would actually increase. So if go tot AT60 I will have to drop MAX as well...Sheesh...Cable is not an option..I despise cable.

If my dad did not watch some of the channels on the AT180 package I would have possibly downgraded to the AT120 package. If I want to watch movies I will watch what is in the AT180 recorded to my DVR. If someone has a DVR they should not need any movie packages, maybe one at the most. There are limits to everything and that includes what people are willing to pay for these services when they are not essentials. I think the internet entertains me just as much if not more. IPTV should become very successful as there could be many different providers willing to compete for your business and should help the prices to be low.

Thanks for all the replies. To follow up on some of the questions raised: I had 3 508's activated and had one of those deactivated. I figure if one the other two still activated crap out, I can replace it with the one now resting in the closet. I dropped the $1.99 warranty as I have had it for several years and have yet to have a problem. So odds are on my side. TW actually is cheaper if I take the phone/tv/internet but I have distant nets with E* and I would REALLY miss the ability to time shift programs. We don't have locals available on E* so I have lifeline basic cable and Roadrunner from TW which runs me $55 per month. Basic phone is $32 and my new Dish bill will be $47(which is a decrease from $63 before the big downgrade). TW would be $125.00 for all three. I'm really just another rate increase away from pulling the plug entirely on E*.
Interestingly, out local TW has decided that they are yanking the Game Show Network off the lineup and replacing it with the Mets network which has generated a lot of complaining. GSN had a tent set up,outside of the local Walmart trying to get people to sign a petition to restore the network. Like that will do any good !!! On top of that their rates just went up this month as well.
I think BOTH cable and satellite TV are pricing themselves out of business. Many people just cannot keep absorbing higher and higher monthly fees year in and year out especially when everything else goes up leaps and bounds.
The only message we as consumers can send to these gougers is with our checkbooks. If a significant number of us could downgrade to the lowest offering possible for a year, these providers might get the hint. But that's just wishfull thinking.

Looking at this also

My dish bill is getting out of sight. $124.xx a month is getting my attention! Currently I have the HDPlatinum at $99 and about $24 in receiver fees/networks/ext. warranty. So no matter what I decide to do I am looking at $24 on top of the package price. What I am wondering about is if I drop to let's say HDGold at $30 less a month- am I going to pickup any additional fees that I don't currently have with the HDPlatinum (ie additional rec. fees/charlie needs money fees, etc..)? I have a 921, Vip211, & 501 currently on my account. If I get the 622 after 4/1 then it will automatically be another $6 lease fee I believe. At that time I would sell the 211 as I would no longer need it thus giving me the 622 & 501 on account.. Could someone in the know, let me know if my above assumptions are correct in this price gouging fee based scenario?
Thanks, Gerry

Sorry

gbjbany said:
if you dropped platinum and you keep the 921 (you didnt mention this in your summary) and 622 you will also pay DVR fees. they are 6 dollars each

Sorry, your right I didn't put the scenario of keeping the 921/211/501 and just dropping to HDplatinum- would this make a difference? Gerry

Thanks

gbjbany said:
i assume you meant dropping to gold. yes both the 921 and 622 incur the 6 dollar DVR charge if you drop from platinum to gold. So an additional 12 dollars there. For HD platiunum this fee is waived

I mentioned gold in the original note. But the bottom line is my $30 savings now gets cut to $24:( . The problem is if I turn in the 921 for a 622 then my monthly bill goes up another $6 for the lease fee! Hard to win with these guys.. Gerry

Mike0616 said:
You really must be enjoying it, if that is not a typo.:devil:

I see what the original poster is saying, that there is no need to over-subscribe to shows you don't watch. Personally, have had HBO, SHO, etc. and dropped them when PPV started working years ago. Also, change from 120 to 180 for ESPNU during football and basketball seasons, but drop them during the off-season (nope, lacrosse, tiddly-winks, et. al. are not my thing and there is not another channel on that package that I would care if they went dark.) My wife likes a few of the channels in 120 or would have the 60 or do only OTA myself. ESPN and news channels are on 60, so would do me fine.

It all comes down to preferences. like anything else. Its like cars, homes, etc. - a matter of what you want throttled back to what you can afford.
Typo, should be $86. Didn't use the shfit key so I got a 4 instead of a $.

Ron

Like the other guy, Last week I went from America's Everything Pak to Dish Platinum plus one International plus HD DVR plus 2 x Rcvrs plus local. Yeah ... about $140 / month.
I like Dish. I absolutely LOVE my new DVR ( never had one ) and I have a good job that pays me a pretty good amount of money. Plus I am young & single.

Downgrading

I wonder if we bitch as much when the price of gas went from $1.00 to $2.50 per gallon. Did you sell you car as that would provide much more in savings!:hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)