Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
For the past two months now I have been searching for a new TV, I have been weighing features with price.

After MUCH research I decided on a Samsung RLS5088W. I wanted the 88 Model because it had the CableCard input, not because I want use Cablecard but because it has a QAM tuner which can tune in the unscrambled HD channels.

So I went to Best Buy, after standing by the computer desk in the TV department someone finally helped me... (yeah right) I told him what I was looking for and I told him they don't have in stock on the floor however the other Best Buy about 20 miles away had one in stock.

He took a look and ran around to the 3 Samsung TV's they had on the floor telling me that they wern't it (no sh*t sherlock) I asked him to check the computer for the model number and he told me "I know our inventory better then the computer and I know we don't have the model, because if we did it would be here on the floor."

I said thank you and told him I was going across the stree to Circuit City. He said "Whatever" and walked away. (All's he neded to do was punch a few keys on the computer he was standing in front of and he probably would have had a sale. But he didnt so I left and went across the street to Circuit City.

I went and planted myself infront of the Samsung 5087W set which was the same TV however it did not have a CableCard / QAM Tuner. Quickly I was greeted by someone and told him what I wanted, he said oh the one with the CableCard, sorry we don't carry that model, people have been coming in and asking about it but for some strange reason we dont...

He said if your looking for a 50 inch 1080p set then take a look at the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 which is a Grand Waga SXRD. and was also $400 more then the Samsung unit. I told him that I researched them online but couldn't justify the price difference between the two. I did notice that the picture was much better.

As we were standing there and looking at the set the manager yelled and asked if I was looking at the Sony, the sales guy yelled back yes I was and the manager came over, following him were two people carrying a TV.

He asked me if I like it and I said yes but I couldnt justify the difference in cost. He then told me I had great timing and explained that a couple just purched a set yesterday and it was just delivered to their house and the wife decided it was too big for their enviroment and had the delivery guys take it back without even hooking it up.

He said he could give me an open box deal on it which was $2,100 which I was tempted to jump at, but I held out, and told him I only have so much money to spend and I would need a stand and installation and also the service plan... He said money? And asked me how I was paying I told him cash, his eyes lit up like a christmas tree and he excused himself and went to a computer and made a phone call.

He came back a few moments later and told me "here is what I can do for you" if you buy the TV, a stand of your choice and the service plan I will knock the price of the TV down $1950!

I asked him about the return policy and warranty and said it was the same as if I purchsed it in a sealed box. I grin came over my face and I said I would take it. :)

So I purchased the TV, for $1950, a 2 year extended warranty which even covers the bulbs for $299 a nice stand for $269, With delivery and taxes it was around $2750. I paid and they were very nice and gave me a Big Screen Perfomance Kit which has a DVD Cleaning Disc,a Calibration DVD, a Blue Filter for Calibration a bunch of coupons as well as all the material on my TV including the remote and manuals and warranty card. :)

So I feel I made out well. I know the TV does not do 1080p input but I understand that it can be done with some tweeking. Did I make a good decission? (And BTW no Green Blob on the set which seemed to be an issue with the early production run units of this set) :)

BTW its being delivered oN Saturday. Can't wait! :)

I went over to the set the guys just carried in and it was covered with plastic, I took a look behing the set and the power cable was still tied up like they look new. I took a look at the case no scratches...

So you ended got the 2005 Sony SXRD?

I plan on recommending the new A2000 SXRD to my brother because it's cheaper than the older 2005 models, and the dumbo ears are really stupid.

I've been following it's thread on AVS and it started great but has gone down hill, although I still plan on making that TV the recommendation

My only question is if they had the TV in their hands, how come the just didn't put in your truck and be on your way?

I've yet to see an SXRD myself actually but just reading about them I've wanted one.

I looked at the A2000 and the picture did not look as good as the A2000. I dont really care about the dumbo ear speakers as I wont be seeing them when I am watching TV. :)

I bought the exact same TV in March and I love it. It stood out when I was looking because it definately had a better looking picture than any of the other sets. I hope you enjoy it.

We the TV came on Saturday and I love it, looks better then I thought it would! This is an amazing TV!

I went down to Best Buy and purchased a Toshiba HD DVD player, I had a coupon for 12% off anything in the store plus I had enough Best Buy Rewards Zone Bucks that I walked out of the store and the HD DVD Happy Gilmore for $385!

I am also amazed at the HD DVD player looks, so far I have not watched any HD DVD's but I did watch a few SD DVD's and was amazed how good they looked! If SD looks good I cant wait til I get a chance to see what HD DVD looks like!

I don't know however if I have a defective HD DVD unit and remote.

#1 I thought the remote for the HD DVD player was back lit, mine does not light up.

#2 A few times I have put in a SD DVD and got a HDMI ERROR 1 error message on the front of the HD DVD player.

I have not updated the firmware yet on the HD DVD player.

I just walked into a sony style store at the mall to look at the A2000 and the XBR and they were showing a concert on a blu ray disc, but I could've sworn the player was actually HD-DVD. nonetheless I was surprise that it was kinda grainy, but it could be that the signal was being distributed, or concert lighting, or being too close to the screen.

BluRay looks really grainy to me as well.

I saw a big demo of it and was nit excited by what I saw, so for me HD DVD is the way to go.

Scott Greczkowski said:
#1 I thought the remote for the HD DVD player was back lit, mine does not light up.

I have not updated the firmware yet on the HD DVD player.

The A1's remote is not back lit, only the XA1's has that.

I'd recommend doing the firmware upgrade ASAP. It's supposed to help greatly with the responsivness of the remotes operation. It will take about 45 min to do and remember to change the IP settings to use DHCP before you try it, default on mine came as static.

Look at the date, this thread is a year old, in case you missed that.

HA! Yep, I missed it. Sorry. Scott just referred to it in a recent post. I mistakenly believed he'd replaced a recently broken set. Now I realize it's the set mentioned in this year-old thread that's malfunctioning. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I feel like a dope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts