Just Got my Dish HD System Package it is not that bad so far

jgra

Original poster
May 4, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Hello Everyone,

I really want to give you all the details of my experience from why I moved from Directv to now having Dish Network HD System.

Sometime in 2004 I had directv with tivo and had no problems just that they do not update there software that much from what I thought it could do. So one day I saw a commercial and went online to dishnetwork.com and saw they had and offer with the dvr 522. I jumped to it not only because dish was offering a dvr but because dish was cheaper (at that time). So I jumped to dish network.

So the first thing you notice is the huge difference is user-friendliness from the tivo. The tivo was so much easier to use. Nonetheless I got a hang of it and so did my wife and son. (My wife loved tivo.) I noticed a couple of problems with the 522 but overall not that many. eg freezing up. Then the new software update came in the last month or so. I loved it with new name based recording. So dishnetwork actually was on my good side even more because I love updates. I rather have a beta update than a finished update, because I just want the update. Anyways had no problems with 522.

Then I saw that dish had hdtv package and I been interested in getting into the hd scene for a while but never wanted to spend to much money (over $1500 total). So when I saw there package I was excited and thought I about for a few days then ordered it.

So I received my 921 about 5 days ago the installers came yesterday with some confusion involving what they had to bring. Actually, it was very confusing dish never told them to bring the 34'' hdtv. So I had to wait a longer time. The installers had some problems installing everything. They called technical support and they could not help either. After a longer period of time and frustration shown on my part the one installer that was left, the other left to do another job, fixed it. Basically they could not get the hd/sd to hook up and work. Well they got to work even though I knew they did not do it the correct way. So the guy left (without a tip, I am sorry but he took to long) and I started playing around with it. The quality is great the tv is huge and I like overall for the price that I paid. Had no problems until this morning when the picture on the tv was fuzzy. After playing around with connections of the tv and receiver I noticed some problems and fixed it. They started working again.

Well at this point it looks great, I already recorded and schedule recordings with no problems both dish hd channels and ota hd channels. Nonetheless here are my small list of problems I have encountered so far: (which my not be related to dish network):

I cannot get cbs hd through my antenna (terk hd indoor antenna)
I cannot get wb11 hd
Some of the ota hd channels when scanned by 921 are incorrect for example it would say 5-02 which channel 5 in my area is actually fo:mad:wnyw) it actually saids wwor with wnyw guide.
You cannot record two hd channels at the same time. (ota or dish)
The software is not user friendly when you are in a certain view you cannot get back to the previous mode but would have to cancel and press the menu button again.
Not that many dish hd channels
No interactive features as is available in the 522
Cannot use PIP while in a HD channel
Cannot use swap button to switch between two channels you are using (in the 522 you were able to swap between the two tuners) I guess it is because the were dual tuners but if you can record and watch another channel why not have the PIP swap capability as well
The software does not look nice at all a little smoother, more tranparency options are needed
No name based recording so back to the pre 522 age

Well I hope that helped a lot of people, I welcome any questions you may have or suggestions.

I will try to update you on the status of my Hdtv system

Take care
jg

jgra said:
You cannot record two hd channels at the same time. (ota or dish)
jg
You should be able to record two satellite HD programs at a time or one satellite and one OTA. It is correct that you cannot do two OTA recordings at a time. As you get more familiar with the 921, I think you will enjoy it more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)