A DISH 500 for Hawaii?

ryank808

Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I recently discovered that unless I get a DISH looking at 110W I will never get the full 9-day EPG I'm supposed to get (as advertised). Since, I'm in Hawaii though, it's not as easy as just upgrading to a free DISH 500.

I was wondering if there are any 3rd party satellite dishes like the DISH 500 (that pick up 2 separate satellites with 2 separate LNBs) that would work out here. It would seem as if DISH just doesn't want to make a bigger DISH 500 for those in places who need a bigger dish for good reception (even some people in the CONUS need bigger dishes like the HI 24" ones to combat rain fade, right)? I don't really have room for a completely separate dish.

It looks like Channel Master makes a 75cm (30") eliptical dish that picks up 3 oribtal slots (http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/75E_GAINMSTR.pdf), but I'm not sure if the angle/spacing of the LNBs would work over here, they might be fixed to the angle range that would occur in the CONUS. (Would this be a problem, I don't know trig.). That 3rd LNB pointed at 101 might be useful if I tried to switch to D*, but it wouldn't hurt having it sit there unused with E*...

Sorry but you will need 2 seperate dishes with at least a 30" dish pointing to 110.

Even with that you will experience major rain fade. I've been thinking about a 36" dish for my set up on the Big Island.

Dune

So a 75cm eliptical dish wouldn't work because the spacing between the LNB arms are off for HI? (I know that 75cm is probably too small for D*'s 101, which usually requires a 1m dish, but it would seem to be enough for E* 110, and more than enough for E* 119).

Suprisingly, my receiver does have coordinates for a DISH 500 (Zip: 96734), Azimuth 95, Elevation, 35, Skew 30. The coordinates for my 24" 119 dish (Dish 300): Azimuth 99, Elevation 41. It would seem that it would work if the Dish 500 were big enough to pull in enough signal, right?, which the ChannelMaster gainmaster does right? Anyone hooked up a 18"er or a mainland Dish 500 in Hawaii for the heck of it? Able to get any signal at all (20%?, 30%?)?