Just got my HD DVD player!!!

teamerickson said:
Are there DVD players that upconvert through the component? My Toshiba only upconverts throught the hdmi and I believe Sony is the same.

I seem to remember that Zenith makes one that upconverts through component... and if I remember right.. with only certain firmwares.. I don't know if the newer ones can do this anymore.. But they were popular models

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023CDL4/002-6815000-1879260?v=glance&n=172282

I guess I will pass on the new Toshiba HD being I own a HD TV with components. And if its true it won't play DVD+R then thats weak. I also don't want something that bulky.. looks really ugly and its way to big for my applications. I think there is just too many restrictions on these new players coming out. Its going to be interesting how the image restraint tokens are used or not.

I must avoid. I have purchased too many "new" products only to get sent to "obsolete corner" in a very short time.

In a short time, these things will be clogging up eBay.

At least it's priced reasonably! Good luck to all who get them. I know my credit card will be lobbying me hard to grab one............BUT I MUST RESIST! :D

JonUrban said:
I must avoid. I have purchased too many "new" products only to get sent to "obsolete corner" in a very short time.

In a short time, these things will be clogging up eBay.

At least it's priced reasonably! Good luck to all who get them. I know my credit card will be lobbying me hard to grab one............BUT I MUST RESIST! :D

You know what's funny. The same thing was said about the HD Tivo. I for one have enjoyed mine for almost the past 2.5 years. And there isnt an end in sight especially with the new D* 3 year contract extension. With MPEG4 national stuff still ways away and the MPEG4 D* version DVR AWOL, this thing has done everything and more. It has no foreseable end life. If it ends next year, so be it.

In today's changing world, I look at value add over 3 years. If it adds to my life (hence enjoyment value) and was worth the price, then it can go bye bye in year 4. I look at cars the same way. Trouble free service for 5-6 years, great. I get a trade in for it, bonus. Its a used thing. Its not an investment. I know its hard to look at it that way but as long as you dont spend 1000 bucks and it gets used beyond month 1, then it could be worth it.

I for one will get alot of use out this thing. Netflix, bring on the movies. If I get 3 years HD DVD renting, then it was worth the 500 bucks. :up

teamerickson said:
Are there DVD players that upconvert through the component? My Toshiba only upconverts throught the hdmi and I believe Sony is the same.

Look at the LG LDA-511and LG DVB-418

They play NTSC and PAL, have codes to become full region free, macrovision defeat, and up-conversion via component; they also have built-in media card readers and play virtually every recorded format known.

The price of this unit will come down. After all...they aren't going to make a ton of money with just a few people buying the machines. I also want to see what movies are available before I plunk the cash down for one. I know the picture quality will be great.

dfergie said:
I looked this morning in all the likely places in this town, not even a hint nor a glimmer of the box here... the Furniture store that doubles as the Audio Visual mecca here did not have, in fact the salesman flatly stated that he just got back from a seminar :D...

Looks like you are headed for El Paso this weekend.

dfergie said:
Actually if I would have seen one here... I would have bought it but, I hate to make the 2+ hr drive (one way) to El Paso :D but... the force is drawing me that way, must resist...

Yeah, but you can eat at Leo's while you're there. Or Chico's Tacos!

Yesterday i was at the local bestbuy here in chicago, and they had two HD DVD players on the shelf with one additional player connected to an Plasma
PQ looked pretty darn good, then i went to the Service desk to pick up my items from my Online order, then i remembered i forgot some other stuff, while going looking for the item, i passed by the HD DVD players display again, and saw the Bestbuy Employees looking at the HD DVD, and they were talking amoung themselves and thinking which tv will show the best PQ, and one BB guy said that they could hook it up to one of their 1080p HDTV

I was shocked what i heard from the BB guys Yup they knew there HDTV stuff :D

I was at sears last week, and the sears guy asks me what is HDTV..... and he works in the TV dept, lol :D but thats for a whole another thread LOL

But anyway i think i'll wait for the Blu-ray players

And yes BB was selling the HD DVD's software on monday guess they will get fined :D

Last edited:
hdtvtechno said:
I was at sears last week, and the sears guy asks me what is HDTV..... and he works in the TV dept, lol :D but thats for a whole another thread LOL
:D

I know that the Sears employees usually are a little lacking in knowledge as far as new technology goes....but it is a little sad that a salesman could work in the tv dept and still not know what HDTV is. I mean common now!!!

I got mine from VE today along with Serenity from Netflix. Its amazing. Now im just waiting for my 2 movies from VE

jgags6 said:
I got mine from VE today along with Serenity from Netflix. Its amazing. Now im just waiting for my 2 movies from VE

Do you know when they are coming? I sent note to Robert but havent heard back. Serenity for me is also coming today from Netflix. Cant wait!! I watched Return on the King in 480p and it blew away my regular 480p DVD player. It was not a high end one and compairing the 2 really showed. This HD DVD player is very nice. Just have to get a beer when loading a DVD.

I dont know. I emailed him also but havnt heard back. There is a post by someone who ordered their hddvd through value electronics also and he got him movies with trhe player

I got my player with Samurai and Opera, but it shipped Tuesday. I talked to Value Electronics on Monday and they were not able to ship the players with HD-DVDs on Monday, so I had them delay the shipment of my player until Tuesday so they could ship which discs they managed to get. I assume Chronos and M D Baby will be coming as soon as they get released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts