Just got Yellow Card

I installed mine last night. Took about 20 minutes before it was working correctly, tech support had me rebooting doing check switch and other things before my channels started coming in.

For some reason the 721 upgrades are not automated like they have done for other receivers, as you have to talk to someone to get you new card activated. This is why there is no website listed like on the other units.

Hmmm. I'm a subscriber since 5/2000..... NEVER have seen a smart card replacement yet (and I have 2 7200s, a 4900, a 510, and a 921 active)

Got my yellow card last Saturday. Did anybody else notice their 721 dialing out to activate your programming with the new card? That's what mine did at least. It did not report the PPV on the 721 at that time though. I also tried my old blue card and it's still working too. All my timers and recordings are also still there.

Bimmerbenz

MThomas2424 said:
Got my yellow card today for my 721. The install did affect all the timers I had set for today. Other than that, everything went well with the swap.
Same here, The Timers were still in the timers menu but did not show up on the guide with the red dot. No chances of missing any of my shows so I deleted them all and set them all back up, just to be on the safe side.;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
My wife just called me to tell me that in todays mail was a new yellow smartcard for my 721. This is the first I have heard to a smartcard swap on the 721. I was also surprised that there were no new smartcards for my two Dishplayers (7200)

Anyone else with a 721 get a new card?

Yes, I just received a yellow card for my 721 today. My first attempt to call was met with a LOT of static and a hangup from the CSR. The second call was marginally better. In a very heavy asian accent the CSR kept telling me to go to channel 199. I didn't and still don't know of any channel 199. I told her it came up on the NASA channel and she insisted it wouldn't work, read her script, then hung up. NASA did work, by the way.

Best regards,
Charles

What happens if I refuse to use the new yellow card? It is a violation of my civil liberties, etc. and I am satisfied with my existing smart card.

Let's start a petition to stop the yellow card!

Pepper said:
Got mine today. I haven't decided if I will swap it tonight, or wait till I hear from someone here that doing so did NOT trash their existing recordings or cause other problems.

Swaped my card out today, it was painless. Everything woked.

Pepper said:
I suppose in the meantime once all the 721's have new cards they could disable blue card support in the next software update.

They don't need a software update in order to do that. Once all the cards are distributed for that model of receivers they can turn off the Nagravision 1 datastream for that model ONLY (and from what I understand that is exactly the way DISH is doing it. Some model receivers are now only using the Nagravision 2 datastream).

I got mine last week (one for my 508 and another for my 4900). Swap out went fine....the 508 took a couple of times for it to go through and i didn't lose any timers/programs in my 508

mitchflorida said:
What happens if I refuse to use the new yellow card? It is a violation of my civil liberties, etc. and I am satisfied with my existing smart card.

Let's start a petition to stop the yellow card!

Petition and sedition all you want. In time, your blue card will smoke and you'll see nothing at all.

I wonder how many people will actually destroy the old blue card as instructed. I also wonder if it might be useful later, say I find a receiver cheap somewhere without a card, would they let me activate it with the old card (then send me another new yellow card for THAT box once it is their target for yellowness)?

Anyone thinking of dumping it on ebay, realize that Dish will know what you did if for some reason the buyer tries to activate it for a legitimate reason such as the above.

This is getting close to hack talk, and no one needs to be discussing cards like this.

But note that a card is married to a receiver - the old blue cards are worthless with any other box.

Sorry, didn't mean to approach a forbidden topic, was just concerned to let others know the reasons NOT to try to do anything with those replaced items.

I had the same experience as A_Noland. Inserted the new card and received the "Card is not inserted properly" message. Spent 30-40 minutes on the phone and rebooted a few more times. The end result is that they re-activated my blue card and are sending a second yellow card via UPS (and I need to return the first yellow card). Fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)