Just had Hopper + Joey installed, question about MoCA

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Hey guys, just got Dish installed last week after a disastrous one-month stint of trying to cut the cord (had dropped cable and decided that I wanted Sling to bridge the gap between the flexibility I wanted as a "cord cutter" and an actually reliable service)

I have a Hopper and one Joey. My internet service is cable. My question is, is the MoCA that Dish uses compatible with standard MoCA that I'd use with the cable company? I know that DirecTV "DECA" is just MoCA, but on incompatible frequencies. I've included a diagram on this post to demonstrate what I want to accomplish, but essentially my wifi is not reliable at my TV location, and I want to use my old MoCA bridge to get internet on the coax network at my modem. I also want to bridge from the Hopper into a switch in my entertainment center so that all of my other stuff like Xbox and Apple TV can utilize the wired MoCA connection.

So, what I'd like to do is connect the Joey connection off my Solo Node into the splitter coming off my cable line, to bridge the two MoCA networks. Will that work? And do I need a diplexer? Or does the Solo Node completely isolate all non-MoCA frequencies from crossing over to the satellite side?
LLTmhwl.jpg

View attachment 111056

Well, Dish used cable's existing splitter when setting up my joeys it was 1000 mhz max, But I didn't keep that in place very long.

But it did work, But I wasn't feeding my internet through it either.

But I do believe Dish recommends Normally a splitter that has max range at lease 2150 Mhz.

uploadfromtaptalk1445798768050.png
This is the proper way to setup a Hopper and Joey.
If you have a Hopper with sling, Wifi works just fine if Ethernet isn't available.

Right, I understand how it's "supposed" to be done (it's installed as it's supposed to be right now), I'm just curious if what I'm trying to accomplish will work, unsupported as it might be. The biggest question I have is what is the isolation of the joey side and the hopper side of the solo node.

It's possible it might work if the cable modem is on a different frequency than the hopper moca. The only problem I see is that there is no way to keep from feeding moca down the cable pipe.

Reactions: Troch77
It's possible it might work if the cable modem is on a different frequency than the hopper moca. The only problem I see is that there is no way to keep from feeding moca down the cable pipe.

But cable is compatible with MoCA. If Dish's MoCA implementation is on the standard cable TV frequency range, then it will work. that's the other question. Think I'm just gonna hook it up and see if it works.

The answer is no, it won't work.

Doesn't look like the cable modem signal interferes with the satellite signal (meaning the Joey side and the Hopper side are 100% isolated outside of MoCA), but it looks like Dish's MoCA uses a different frequency range from the Actiontec bridges I use. The Joey and Hopper also lost connectivity, so that makes me think it's possible the MoCA band they use is incompatible with a cable modem.

If your goal is to distribute internet with the Joey MoCA then you should get a Hopper Internet Connection adapter, otherwise known as a HIC.

I finally found a source that had the frequency ranges for everything. Satellite signals are up in the 950 to 3Ghz range, Dish MoCA is in the 650-875 Mhz range, and my Actiontec "cable compatible" MoCA bridge uses 1125 to 1525 Mhz. So, I definitely will need the Dish bridge (HIC). The problem I have, though, is that I only have one coax run at my modem/router, so I need to figure out a way to get the signal from the cable company over there as well. The hitch there is that the highest frequency my cable modem is currently using is 627 Mhz.

I found a filter that will essentially block out any frequencies higher than 650-ish Mhz or so (because my cable system likely is 750-900 Mhz in total bandwidth, and I also don't need to backfeed the Dish MoCA out to the cable company). Plus, I can't guarantee that the modem channel(s) won't move around.

So, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep on the path of trying to make this work or if I'll just deal with getting ethernet or coax run between the locations.

I've never used them but a guy the other day was telling about his experience with powerline ethernet adapters. He was more than satisfied with the performance by the way he talked.

Amazon product ASIN B00AWRUICG

Depending on the brand of the adapter and the wiring in the house the results will be mixed. In my experience most of the time they work pretty good.

Reactions: Tampa8
Depending on the brand of the adapter and the wiring in the house the results will be mixed. In my experience most of the time they work pretty good.

I imagine they probably need plugged straight into the receptacle rather than a surge protector or power strip.

Reactions: JSheridan
Correct. And sometimes if you have a choice trying different outlets can yield better/worse results. Just as JSheridan says, generally good results.

Reactions: JSheridan
Yeah, I have a set of powerline adapters, but was having trouble. It's an older house with less than great wiring.

I wanted to try to get the most rock solid stable connection I could, as well as bridging it to the rest of the equipment in my rack (xbox, etc) but I will likely just try powerline adapters again or re-arrange my wifi AP to try to get that coverage stable, too.

I absolutely love ubiquity's products. This would be overkill but you could use a couple of nano stations to get wireless from point A to point B. The power would likely have to be cut back but the thru put is rock solid.

You could get by with 1 at the location you need it pointed back towards the router. The nano would go to a poe adapter then onto another router setup as an access point. You could then have 4 wired devices off that router.

I'm not crazy about repeater setups because the bandwidth is cut in half. With this scenario it would not be.

I want to say no, as the Hopper is the MoCa bridge, through the node.
i belive that's what the hybrid hub is for it some how makes the moca signal from the hopper to the joey so they can talk to each other. one installer wanted to make a moca conn using my cable lines i said the cable co don't suport moca here. then he told me that he could diplex the signal. then i was like no my cable lines are so messed up they need to run a line drop. i am sure it was a money grab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)