Just had my 811 installed.

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Installer just left from installing my 811. I have to say, the 811 outshines the 6000! I have read and heard horror stories about this unit, but so far, it is outstanding. As far as the dark picture everyone is talking about, I am not seeing any dark picture whatsoever. It seems the HD channels are more vibrant and full of color. Maybe a turn around for the 811 eh? Defiently impressed so far!

Maybe a turn around for the 811 eh? Defiently impressed so far!
I'm glad to hear that! I am awaiting a call from an installer right now, to have my 811 put in today. Hope mine looks as good as yours!

Enforcer said:
Installer just left from installing my 811. I have to say, the 811 outshines the 6000! I have read and heard horror stories about this unit, but so far, it is outstanding. As far as the dark picture everyone is talking about, I am not seeing any dark picture whatsoever. It seems the HD channels are more vibrant and full of color. Maybe a turn around for the 811 eh? Defiently impressed so far!

Glad you are enjoying it. You'll see a few quirks along the way, but overall I think you will be happy with it. :)

Wait until you see the game on TNT tonight, last one was great, I am finding that the games on TNT look much brighter and vibrant than the ones on ESPN, plus ESPN does not have 5.1 DD sound coming out either.

mattzane227 said:
i thought that the lakers tnt game looked better than the pistons espn game too

I agree. My 2 1/2 year old was up during most of the 1st half of the Lakers game on Tue. With the lights down really low and the DD, he actually made me change it until he went to sleep because it scared him, everything loooked so clear, especially on the close-ups that he was not convinced that they were not real. TNT-HD...a great addition.

I had my 811 installed last Saturday (one day late for the TNT-HD debut and my Timberwolves in HD :( ).

I have to say that I've been overall quite pleased with the 811. Despite some of what I've read here, my unit performed quite well. I've noticed a few quirks, but certainly nothing any more serious than what I am used to with my previous (D*) HD receiver. The 811 definitely shines when it comes to HD material - what I've seen on Discovery HD Theater, HDNet and on occasion on TNT-HD is as good as the OTA HD that I am used to.

That said, I certainly have much to explore and tweak, but I think this is a great start.

On a side note, I am very impressed with the installation job that E* did. Before they completed their work there were 3 techs present (arrived in 2 different trucks) and they made short work of the process once they finalized the location of the dish and the path of the cable run. VERY professional and clean work - consider me impressed.

Well, my schedule is for tomorrow morning. Hope it goes well. Anyone know that the installer would give me a DVI cable or I have to purchase it separately? Also, I bought an external terk roof antenna for OTA HD, does the installer install that for me too? or do i have to do it myself?

thanks

I asked my installer about the DVI cable and he didn't have any with him. Actually, I don't think DVI has any noticable difference over component cables. Spending almost 100 bucks for a DVI cable with minimal PQ improvement doesn't seem worth it to me. As far as installing an antenna, I guess that would be up to the installer. Technically, I don't think they have to since it's not Dish equipment. I am sure with a promise of a good tip, they might consider it. I have had many extra RG6 lines run thanks to a good tip. Without it, I doubt they would take the time. Give it a shot. I gave the installer 30 bucks and let me tell you, he ran a new Rg6 line (over 60') and added great connectors. Defiently money well spent.

Enforcer said:
I asked my installer about the DVI cable and he didn't have any with him. Actually, I don't think DVI has any noticable difference over component cables. Spending almost 100 bucks for a DVI cable with minimal PQ improvement doesn't seem worth it to me. As far as installing an antenna, I guess that would be up to the installer. Technically, I don't think they have to since it's not Dish equipment. I am sure with a promise of a good tip, they might consider it. I have had many extra RG6 lines run thanks to a good tip. Without it, I doubt they would take the time. Give it a shot. I gave the installer 30 bucks and let me tell you, he ran a new Rg6 line (over 60') and added great connectors. Defiently money well spent.

DVI can make a huge difference. depends on the TV. Mileage may vary, but in most cases will be equal or better. Someone already posted a link for inexpensive cables.

From what I gather, DVI seems to make the biggest difference with LCD, DLP, and Plasma, while component is just fine for RGB and Direct-View.
BTW, I use component for my LCD projector, and it looks pretty fuggin good. (My pj doesn't have a DVI input, unfortunately.) I have to use the DVI to my Direct-View HDTV, which looks looks excellent, as well. (There is that slight loss of detail in the dark areas of the image. But, the P266 updateappears to have brought the DVI image back up to P264 quality, which was worsened temporarily with P265.)

I also thing dvi will definitely improve picture quality if you have a plasma or LCD. Can't wait til tomorrow to get this hd811 going.

You won't be disappointed. I was worried about the pq and reliability of this box, but so far I am very pleased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts