Just hooked up my 721

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
My 721 has been sitting in a closet for over a year. so i decided to hook it back up to make sure it was ok. It took a little time to get all of the software updates to
L322 But i got it done. Did alot of testing with it to make sure it wasn't flaky with the new updates. And it seems to be working great. I still think the 721 was one of the best receivers Dish ever put out. Especially the no DVR fees.

Just wanted to share this..

Last edited:
While we greatly enjoy our 721, it has always been and is still a FLAKEY-WIEIRD box. I can't go into the numerous odd behaviors, especially the reported shutting off just after having powered it on that I experience with regularity. Then there is the mega-long re-boot routine. And it is not as good a box as the 625 generation of boxes. I am on my 3rd 721. The most painful lack of feauture is the NBR. If the 721 had NBR, it would make up for all the other infamous 721 oddities. The one thing I really LOVE about the 721 is that I don't have to go to Channel 100 (DishHome) to check the weather. The weather overlay while still hearing (and seeing if set from the Preferences menu) the TV show we are watching is the BEST. Still, as I said, we do like our 721, with all its warts.

I agree with ya the 721 is great only thing its missing is NBR asnd splitscreen channel 100.
when i had mine active i didnt have any problems
i prefer this ird greatly over the 522-625's ive owned

Please, *no* NBR for the 721!!! The 721 is marginally reliable now; I have to reboot the box perhaps twice a week because the PIP is not working, the box reboots on its own maybe once or twice a week (usually related to flipping between live TV and a recorded program), and I've blocked Dish Home altogether because of the problems it causes. NBR will lead to months of dealing with new bugs, no thanks.

jrbdmb said:
Please, *no* NBR for the 721!!! The 721 is marginally reliable now; I have to reboot the box perhaps twice a week because the PIP is not working, the box reboots on its own maybe once or twice a week (usually related to flipping between live TV and a recorded program), and I've blocked Dish Home altogether because of the problems it causes. NBR will lead to months of dealing with new bugs, no thanks.
Yes, you have a very good point. I was speaking in fantasy terms, of course. As for your troubles with the 721, I had the same problems with increasing frequency as you've described a few months before it died. The first replacement (2nd 721) sent to me worked right for one week, then it displayed the same problems as the one that died. By the end of the month, Dish had to send me a 2nd replacement (3rd 721). So far, this one behaves as well as can be expected from a 721. I hope it lasts the 3 years my original one did.

On my 721, the "lockup" occurs when I am FF or REW thru a recorded program and another live program on the PIP. Suddenly both the main screen and the PIP will freeze for about 10 - 15 seconds, and then the 721 reboots. I'm so used to it now that when I see the "freeze" I simply get up and do something else for 10 minutes or so ... :)

No bugs with my 721. I'm on my 4th one. No weird behavior. Just fine- until the HD dies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts