Just "moved" - new channel lineup not coming in

cgtyoder

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Ohio
I just called Dish yesterday and successfully (supposedly) "moved" to Pittsburgh from the Columbus OH region (go Stillers :)). On my Dish account page online I can see the new service address. From looking at http://jameslong.name/ and http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworksatellitemap I can see that I am within the spotbeams for the Pittsburgh locals, but I have unplugged my ViP722 DVR (software ver L725) several times now, but the new channel lineup is not appearing. What am I missing here? Thanks for any input.

I just called Dish yesterday and successfully (supposedly) "moved" to Pittsburgh from the Columbus OH region (go Stillers :)). On my Dish account page online I can see the new service address. From looking at http://jameslong.name/ and http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworksatellitemap I can see that I am within the spotbeams for the Pittsburgh locals, but I have unplugged my ViP722 DVR (software ver L725) several times now, but the new channel lineup is not appearing. What am I missing here? Thanks for any input.

Go to the dish aiming page on your receiver, and see if the specific spotbeam transponders are actually receiving any signal. If so, what's the level?

Just because some map says you are within the spotbeam, doesn't mean you really are! It may take a larger dish to receive it. Check on that page for signal... Perhaps do a checkswitch an make it download a new guide (if you have signal that is)

Go to the dish aiming page on your receiver, and see if the specific spotbeam transponders are actually receiving any signal. If so, what's the level?

Just because some map says you are within the spotbeam, doesn't mean you really are! It may take a larger dish to receive it. Check on that page for signal... Perhaps do a checkswitch an make it download a new guide (if you have signal that is)
For Sat 129 Spotbeam 26, signal strength: 40
For Sat 110 Spotbeam 9, signal strength: 66
(and existing Sat 110, signal strength 78)

I have done a couple guide downloads already, but I am doing another one now.
[Edit] Still no new channel listing after a guide download.

Last edited:
This is a newer situation I have seen posted a couple times. You need to have them hit you again with the new locals. For some reason the first time does not always work.

Last edited:
This is a newer situation I have seen posted a couple times. You need to have them hit you again with the new locals. For some reason the first time does not always work.
Tampa8, that did it - thanks!

HOWEVER - now for the bad news. When I try to tune to the HD locals, it announces "signal loss" and immediately switches me to to the SD version of the channel. I double-checked the signal strength on 129-26, and it is now up to 45 and the bar is green. Is there any hope for me here?

Tampa8, that did it - thanks!

HOWEVER - now for the bad news. When I try to tune to the HD locals, it announces "signal loss" and immediately switches me to to the SD version of the channel. I double-checked the signal strength on 129-26, and it is now up to 45 and the bar is green. Is there any hope for me here?

Check on the info screen to see if you have any lnb "drift". My (owned) EA dish lnb went bad after 2 months, and I had to swap the lnb head out under warranty due to massive drift. Dish is covering it under 2 year warranty, and I had a new one in 4 days! It came up with the signal loss screen just like that.

Check on the info screen to see if you have any lnb "drift". My (owned) EA dish lnb went bad after 2 months, and I had to swap the lnb head out under warranty due to massive drift. Dish is covering it under 2 year warranty, and I had a new one in 4 days! It came up with the signal loss screen just like that.
Well, this is under Point Dish -> Check Switch -> Details (if that is the right place - sorry I am a n00b when it comes to these things):
Port4 External LNB: None No Connection

Is that the place you mean? (If so, probably sounds bad)

Sounds like you are selecting transponder 26 and not transponder 10
TP26 is CONUS and has the HD RSN feeds on 129W

green means you should be safe
yellow is iffy
outside of it...nothing
what do you get when you tune to 129 transponder 10 in the setup install (menu 6-1-1)?

Make sure where it says transponder it switches to SPOTBEAM...what signal strength do you get?

green means you should be safe
yellow is iffy
outside of it...nothing
what do you get when you tune to 129 transponder 10 in the setup install (menu 6-1-1)?

Make sure where it says transponder it switches to SPOTBEAM...what signal strength do you get?
For 129-10, Signal Strength: 2 :(
Apparently the green oval is really the yellow oval here.

So I guess I am SOL and need to move back to Columbus?

Keep in mind that the EA CONUS markets will be switching to spotbeam in a few months after the new satellite is launched in Nov. and tested. Should get you through this football season at least.

Also, if he switches to EA, he won't be able to easily "move" back to Columbus, as there are no Columbus locals on EA.

Can you point me to instructions as to what that entails, to see if I want to undertake that adventure?

Get a larger dish, just for that satellite. I'd bet a 39" FTA dish, with a DP lnb strapped on would work fine. Just remove the outside plastic case. I did that originally for 61.5w, and my signals levels went up 15 points higher. I was using a 1 meter Primestar dish for 110w, and my signal levels went WAY up for that one. I could get the spotbeam for Chicago, and I'm 75 miles out of it's beam.

Houston locals on spotbeam come in at around 45 strength on eastern arc on the 61.5 sat (1000.4 dish)and I'm about 75 miles from the closest town(Baytown) from Houston. But on western arc I get Houston at 50 strength on 110 spotbeam sat (1000.2 sat). Don't really see any drop outs unless it is raining cats and dogs.

Thanks to all for the help here! I think I will just move back to Columbus - not looking to spend more $$$ at this time for new hardware. I will suffer through having to watch Brows/Bengals games instead of the Steelers. And Dish, get your act together and get channel 10, the local CBS affiliate back on the air!

pics missing

Dish or me? Locals are broken up via sat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)