Just ordered Direct instead of Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

marty722

Jan 10, 2005
I have a question, I ordered the direct tv with 3 tv's and one tivo Dvr. When taling to the rep I told him I wanted the Fox sports West network to watch the lakers. He told me that it was inculded in the Total Choice Local Package. After looking on the website it's not on this package. Can anyone explain> Also was it smart to go with direct Tv instead of Dish? Thanks for you input.
Marty

Thanks

Thanks for the link. It answers my question. I didn't feel to good about Dish as the DVR has alot of bugs and my wife loves our tivo. Is there a way to get the tivo single to another TV in the house? I may just keep the Tivo we have now for the kids room. Thanks again.

marty722 said:
Thanks for the link. It answers my question. I didn't feel to good about Dish as the DVR has alot of bugs and my wife loves our tivo. Is there a way to get the tivo single to another TV in the house? I may just keep the Tivo we have now for the kids room. Thanks again.
I'm not quite understanding your question. Are you talking about the D* DVR or a standalone TiVo? Also, do you want to have the DVR be seen in two rooms? If that is so, there are a few ways to do it. If you are using S-Video or A/V cables to feed the main TV, you could use the RF out to feed a secondary TV. Alternately, you could run A/V cable from the DVR to the secondary TV. S-Vid would not be a good choice, as the max distance you can extend the cable without amplification is, IIRC, 25 ft. As for control, just use IR repeaters (pyramids) to send the remote signal from the secondary TV to the DVR. There's also a wireless solution to this that may work. RadioShack has a wireless A/V sender with built-in remote extender capabilities-however, for the cost of one set of those, you could afford to buy a second DVR!

Thanks

Thanks you explained it, I'm getting the DVR tivo that comes with the Dish and I'm going to put our standalone tivo in the kids bedroom. Also what is the difference between the standalone and the one you get from Direct tv?

marty722 said:
Thanks you explained it, I'm getting the DVR tivo that comes with the Dish and I'm going to put our standalone tivo in the kids bedroom. Also what is the difference between the standalone and the one you get from Direct tv?
The Directivo has the satellite receiver and hard drive built into 1 unit it records the actual satellite signal so there is only 1 speed and recording quality. It also has a fee of $4.99/Mo. cheaper than a stand alone :)

Plus all it will record is the satellite feed. It will not record incoming cable or OTA channels.

The DTivo has 2 tuners where the standalone tivo has 1.

The hard drive upgradability is a big plus over the DISH DVR, but is the same feature you can get in an SA tivo.

The standalone TiVo can only record the output of the D* receiver-that's due to the fact that the receiver only has one RF analog output channel and that is either 3 or 4, depending on what is appropriate for your location. This would be the same for a digital or addressable cable box. The D* DVR, however has two digital satellite tuners and records the MPEG-2 signals directly to the hard drive, thus bypassing any analog/digital conversions that have to be done by the standalone TiVo. The two tuners is the reason you must have two cables from the dish to the receiver to have your DVR fully functional.

The DirecTV Tivo unit will also record Dolby Digital 5.1 audio where the standalone will do only 2 channel stereo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)