Just ordered DISH - What should I look out for?

guito13

Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Hi All,

I'm new to all of this so please bear with me. I recently ordered DISH through MyDishNow.com and was quoted a price of 40 bucks a month for the 100 channel plan plus locals and equipment. They said installation was free (including running all cable as my condo is not wired with coax) and they (the third party company) also tossed in some "gifts".

My question is, what do i need to look out for to ensure that the quoted price does not rise via. hidden costs? I don't have a home phone, should i watch out for the $5 fee for that? I dont have any HDTV's currently so opted for the DVR only, am I going to end up paying out the @ss to upgrade when i do get a HDTV?

I know its a lot of question and i know im probably coming across as very "green" here but I would greatly apprecaite your input.

Thanks in advance!

first you probably need written permeation from the association. it will be free install as long as the tech doesn't have to wall fishes, or attic work.yes you do have to have your receiver hooked up to phone line to save $5, there is $5 DVR fee. and if you got second box it will be $5. if you decide to go with HDTV later it always changes different promotions.

first you probably need written permeation from the association. it will be free install as long as the tech doesn't have to wall fishes, or attic work.yes you do have to have your receiver hooked up to phone line to save $5, there is $5 DVR fee. and if you got second box it will be $5. if you decide to go with HDTV later it always changes different promotions.

Thank you for the reply.

Good call on the association, i didnt even think about that. I know that they allow it as several people have dishes however ill give them a call just to make sure.

See, i asked them on the phone about the pulls & attic work as i KNOW that has to be done and they said it was covered and there would be no additional charge.

They also quoted me a 39.98 price (excluding taxes) for the service and equipment.

If they deviate from what was said on the phone (i havent signed anything, but have paid a 50 fee which they say will be credited to my first 2 bills), what type of actions can/should i take to hold them to their word?

there is nothing can be done. the 3rd party people trying to sell no mater what it takes, that one of our biggest problem as a tech. my suggestion will be talk to the tech when he gets there before he starts. see what is the bes option

there is nothing can be done. the 3rd party people trying to sell no mater what it takes, that one of our biggest problem as a tech. my suggestion will be talk to the tech when he gets there before he starts. see what is the bes option

That is what i will do, its not his/her fault. I actually have the cable and other equpment required to run everything but i figured, if its free, i would have the tech do it (hell, ill even help the guy with they dirty work).

Lets say that the tech tells me its going to cost extra for the install, do I have any way to get my 50 bucks back from the company since they lied to me regarding the install costs?

sorry to say but no. and it's not going to 3rd party it will be credited to you after couple of bills. the 3rd party will get paid by dish separately

You should be getting a DVR625 which will have 2 tuners. On dual tuner receivers DISH charges $5 if the receiver is not plugged into a phoneline. A DVR has a $5.98 fee for usage of the DVR capability. So you have been missquoted by $11 on the monthly bill to start with If you want wall drops you will probably be charged a fee for the extra labor. The $49.95 activation is a DISH charge on the DHA 18 contract and is credited back on your first bill. You are contracting for an 18Mo. commitment.

I suggest cancelling the current install and contacting either a local installating dealer or calling DISH at 800-333-3474 and getting the facts from them. If you call DISH get an Email spelling out the promises that they make for pricing and installation.

How did you pay the activation fee if by credit card you can contest the charge seing they didn't earn it.

Last edited:
I agree with Bob, I wouldn't go with a 3rd party as they can add cancellation fees and other clauses to their own contract. Deal with a local installing dealer or Dish Network directly.

You should be getting a DVR625 which will have 2 tuners. On dual tuner receivers DISH charges $5 if the receiver is not plugged into a phoneline. A DVR has a $5.98 fee for usage of the DVR capability. So you have been missquoted by $11 on the monthly bill to start with If you want wall drops you will probably be charged a fee for the extra labor. The $49.95 activation is a DISH charge on the DHA 18 contract and is credited back on your first bill. You are contracting for an 18Mo. commitment.

I suggest cancelling the current install and contacting either a local installating dealer or calling DISH at 800=333=3474 and getting the facts from them. If you call DISH get an Email spelling out the promises that they make for pricing and installation.

How did you pay the activation fee if by credit card you can contest the charge seing they didn't earn it.

I am going to call the 3rd party tonight and get things in writing from them or i will cancel the install if they wont provide it.

I paid by debit card and will do whatever i can to get it back if they dont carry out on their promises. I have not signed anything, only paid the 50 install fee.

Update:

I called DISH directly and they clarified some things. I was lied to by the 3rd party retailer at least 3 times. I am going to have the installer come out and we will see what he says and take it from there. I have made DISH aware of the 3rd parties lies and have called the 3rd party (to no suprise, i got put on hold 5 times and never talked to a manager) but i dont think anythign will come out of it. The 3rd party is registered with the BBB so I will be contacting them next.

The Lies:

1) Installation is NOT all-inclusive as there may be additional charges (they said it was all covered including line runs, additional materials, etc)

2) Channels included. I specifically asked if a certain channel was included in the package I was interested in and they said yes. To get the channel i wanted its another 13 a month.

3) I asked if the price they quoted included the fact that i did not have a home phone line, they said yes. They did not include that cost. This is another 5 a month.

The 3rd party:

MyDishNow.com (Parent company = E-Management)

Thanks again for all your input everyone.

If you cancel it the will provide a refund no problem of course they will try winning you back by throwing extra off for more months or a random gift i work at dish and really dont care for 3rd parties but some a re really good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts