Just received S207 this morning. What did it fix?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It appears they sorta corrected the usability issue of TV Japan being included in the nested channels "feature", as well. (Although, I'm not sure if this was done in the SW update, or on the head end.)

The original TV Japan channel number is back in the guide. BUT, it shows the wrong logo (HTB/NTV America) even though the text label says TVJ, and the data shows "this channel moving to 9989-9990". Tuning to that channel number, or selecting it from the guide, does tune it correctly to TV Japan, though.

I'm glad they made it so the H and J can use the proper channel number again. But, why can't they get the guide to populate correctly? Jeez Louise, their engineers can be so incompetent sometimes. Very frustrating.

Sounds like DLNA/home networking will never work without a HIC (unless by some miracle you have ethernet access in every hopper/joey room or want to mess with USB wifi adapters).

Basically, just about everyone who is trying to hardwire should get a HIC with their install... even if you can connect your hopper(s) directly.

Another option than hardwiring every room in your house, or using a USB wifi adapter that may or may not work, would be to get a wi-fi repeater/bridge and then connect that directly to the ethernet port on your Hopper/Joey. Although this still uses your house's wi-fi network, the device itself thinks its connected directly to a router. It wont know any difference.

There are many options that work, but two that I recommend are:

Rosewill RNX-EasyN4. This is a really small router that you can buy at Newegg for $35 that supports bridging right out of the box and is incredibly simple to get working. You literally take it out of the box, temporarily connect an ethernet cable from a computer or laptop that you have, directly to the router. Open up a web browser, type 192.168.1.1 and login with the username admin/admin. Then on the main page, change it to Bridge mode, and follow the directions. Once its done, you disconnect the router from your computer, and move it to whatever room where you need network access, plug it in and voila! You have network access in a room without hardwired ethernet access and without the temperament of a USB dongle.

The other option is cheaper, but involves a little more tech knowledge. You can get a DD-WRT capable router and flash it. An excellent, but cheap router that I hgihly recommend is the Cisco/Linksys E1000. You can get them remanufactured from Amazon.com for $20.99 right now. The E1000 is fully DD-WRT compatible and it supports wireless bridging just like the Rosewill RNX-EasyN4.

Of course, there are other options, but these are two I personally have experience with and can claim work well.

Another option than hardwiring every room in your house, or using a USB wifi adapter that may or may not work, would be to get a wi-fi repeater/bridge and then connect that directly to the ethernet port on your Hopper/Joey.
if i could edit that post, i would just remove the word "usb" since it's all pretty much in the same wifi club.

Many of us should be able to do the HIC since you only need one client line location. That should still be better than wifi in most forms. You just plug in the HIC and it works. No typing in anything, no passwords, no settings, etc. One less item in your network to even think about.

Dish is giving the HIC or USB wireless adapters for free during the install. Not sure if they'll provide USB wifi adapters to every Hopper/Joey device, so added cost may be another thing to consider by going wifi?

(I would also recommend DD-WRT wireless bridge, if you absolutely had to go wireless. I've been using them for years.)

Last edited:
Got S207 last night about 8:00pm. One of the tuners showed "Software update" and then the thing rebooted right in the middle of recording a show. Even weirder was that the Hopper had been in standby for a week since we were on vacation.

But S207 did enable me to use DLNA with my direct Ethernet connected Hopper and Joeys.

I was hoping that the issues with the 3rd turner not working properly would be resolved but nope. They did fix the DNLA issue with the streaming media, I can actually see my devices now, however, I can't play the videos.

Got S207 last night about 8:00pm. One of the tuners showed "Software update" and then the thing rebooted right in the middle of recording a show. Even weirder was that the Hopper had been in standby for a week since we were on vacation.

But S207 did enable me to use DLNA with my direct Ethernet connected Hopper and Joeys.

It appears the guide updates without the unit in standby. It uses any tuner that isn't in use for something else. I wouldn't think this would also mean it has to update software while out of standby.

I saw one tuner being used to update the guide right after the install, but haven;t seen it since. I was just really surprised by the software update in the middle of the evening. Typically software updates happen in the wee hours of the morning.

Since Scott mentioned S207 was sent out to a small group I wonder if it had some soft of priority flag set to do immediate update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)