Just Signed for DISH -- Delayed Installation

PundaSmith

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello,

I just signed for Dish through a local retailer. However, I live in a condo and the condo association needs about 30 days to approve the installation. What should I do in the meantime? Can I freeze the account?

thanks - PundaSmith

Don't forget that OTARD is on your side. 30 days seems very unreasonable to me. Will the dish be installed in an exclusive use area?
The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.
Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.
On October 25, 2000, the Commission further amended the rule so that it applies to customer-end antennas that receive and transmit fixed wireless signals. This amendment became effective on May 25, 2001.
The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

I beleive that it is illegal for any condo association to have to 'approve' a satellite installation. As long as the dish is installed in a location that is in your control (exclusive use area), they can't say, approve, or do anything!

I beleive that it is illegal for any condo association to have to 'approve' a satellite installation. As long as the dish is installed in a location that is in your control (exclusive use area), they can't say, approve, or do anything!
The only time they can get involved is if the location of the Dish is considered a "common" area.

Yes, I agree 30 days is a bit too much -- given that the dish will be installed in an exclusive area - the railings on my balcony. Since I am renting, I will forward the OTARD reg to my landlord who by the way is a lawyer. Maybe he can take it up with the Condo Assoc.

Thanks - PundaSmith

If the Dish is installed in an exclusive use area I would just go ahead and have it installed as soon as possible. There is nothing that the condo association can do! If your landlord is a lawyer he should know this.

If the Dish is installed in an exclusive use area I would just go ahead and have it installed as soon as possible. There is nothing that the condo association can do! If your landlord is a lawyer he should know this.

While I agree in principal, I would not deem it wise to go around the landlord's back.

I sent the landlord the regulation - whether he picks it up with the Condo association is another matter. But out of abundance of caution, I will wait to get proper approval. I will hope that they can speed the process up, though, since I want to be out of comcast clutches ASAP

cheers, Punda

As I stated above, I complained to the landlord that the 30 days is unreasonably long and here is his reply:

===>

As the Association Board probably only meets once a month, 30 days is quite understandable. However, there is still no guarantee they will give approval.

-- Dish Network did not supply you with an exact schematic plan showing exactly where it was going to install the dish. The Board may want that before it gives approval. You may want to try and obtain that plan from Dish Network, forward same to me, and I'll forward it to the Board.

-- Also, the Board may refuse to sign Dish Network's Letter of Permission, especially in light of the fact that the Letter of Permission does not contain an exact description of the proposed work. Again, try to get Dish Network to fill out the exact description of work referred to in the Letter of Permission, and I'll forward that to the Board.

-- Lastly, a dish only works if there is a clear line of sight to the satellite. You should have the Dish Network people confirm that there is a clear line of sight to the satellite from the balcony railing.

===>

What do you guys think ?

As I stated above, I complained to the landlord that the 30 days is unreasonably long and here is his reply:

===>

As the Association Board probably only meets once a month, 30 days is quite understandable. However, there is still no guarantee they will give approval.

-- Dish Network did not supply you with an exact schematic plan showing exactly where it was going to install the dish. The Board may want that before it gives approval. You may want to try and obtain that plan from Dish Network, forward same to me, and I'll forward it to the Board.

-- Also, the Board may refuse to sign Dish Network's Letter of Permission, especially in light of the fact that the Letter of Permission does not contain an exact description of the proposed work. Again, try to get Dish Network to fill out the exact description of work referred to in the Letter of Permission, and I'll forward that to the Board.

-- Lastly, a dish only works if there is a clear line of sight to the satellite. You should have the Dish Network people confirm that there is a clear line of sight to the satellite from the balcony railing.

===>

What do you guys think ?

Move!

===>

===>

What do you guys think ?

If you have a spot that is your EXCLUSIVE area they cannot say anything. OTARD has you covered. And this comes from the president of a HOA so I do know the rules ;)
The only thing is the install has to be in the exclusive area...ie: they may not be able to bolt it to the railing and have it hang over. They could do the 5 gallon bucket of concrete trick

Don't forget that OTARD is on your side. 30 days seems very unreasonable to me. Will the dish be installed in an exclusive use area?

Your condo association CANNOT require you to get an approval, submit prints, file an application, pay a fee, get a permit, or enforce any other requirement.

See the OTARD website referenced above. Call the 800 number if the association gives you any problem.

Condo associations pull that kind of crap all the time. They are NOT allowed to do so and the Commission has levied some pretty steep fines for those who persist.

Call Dish Network, reschedule the installation at your convenience.

Don't worry about the association. Print the rules. Send them to the association, and forget they ever asked you to get permission.

===>

===>

What do you guys think ?

Thats bull!

I have been selling and installing Dish for the past 12 years, and these rules about having to provide a schematic and to type up a description of the proposed work, is crap!

It takes 2-4 hours to install the Dish, its going to take another 2-4 hours to prepare all the paperwork to present to the associaton just to get permission.

This is something where the customer needs to stand up to the board, provide a copy of the FCC ruling and go ahead and schedule their installation.

Everytime I have run into this situation, the customer wants me to fight to the HOA to allow the Dish, and I don't get enough money to fight their battles.

There was only one time where I had to provide a drawing and description of the proposed work when I did a job for the Federal Goverment in Downtown Detroit and I charged them alot of money to do it.

But seriously, if I lived in a HOA I would go ahead and put the Dish up and when they complained I would hand them the FCC guidelines and tell them to go screw themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
But seriously, if I lived in a HOA I would go ahead and put the Dish up and when they complained I would hand them the FCC guidelines and tell them to go screw themselves.

For once, I agree with Claude. Go through with the appointment and have the tech explain to you how everything is going to be installed. You need to make sure it is within your exclusive area as others have stated, and if it is, go ahead with the install. If not, place the appointment on hold and go through the approval procedure. Always have installed without "Approval" from committees like this, though I am always conscious of regulations and go out of my way to make sure it is within those guidelines or the account is canceled.

Thanks Folks for all your insights. The landlord finally filled the application form from the HOA... after a flurry of email exchanges between him and I over what I considered undue delays and hinderances from the HOA. He explained that the association meets only once per month. Since the application was posted to them on Dec 30th, it means they cannot act on it until they meet sometime in January, hence in his application to the HOA, he specified that work / installation cannot begin until Feb 15th (in order to give the association time to go through the approval process).

I will call the Dish installer on Monday and see if they can go ahead for the installation. After all, in my condo, there are a number of properties with DirectTV antennas, so the HOA must be familiar with these requirements, and process this application as speedily as possible.

Pissed at this point -- but Happy New Year to You all !.

rgds, Punda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)