Just some questions about the Hd 811

hdtv1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2004
Hello all,

Just ordered my 50 inch plasma and it will arrive late this week. I am considering DishNetwork HD package that many satellite website offered. "Free HD receivers, and installation with 1 year committment". However, I have been reading that the HD 811 is shortage in quantity. Does anyone know how long can I expect to get the HD 811 receiver when I sign up? I will be a new subscriber.

Thank you

As a new subscriber, I'd say you'll get equipment in a timely fashion.

Be sure to get the program where you OWN the equipment as opposed to leasing it.

gpflepsen said:
Be sure to get the program where you OWN the equipment as opposed to leasing it.

I respectfully, yet adamently, disagree :)

On the DHA plan, the monthly cost is exactly the same as owning the equipment.

The difference? On the DHA plan you can walk away at any time. If you own, you are tied to a one year commitment.

The only advantage I can think of for ownership is the possibility of using the 811 as OTA STB after leaving E*. Notice I said possibility.. word is the 811 must still be pointed at a E* sat for the box to function for OTA (even though OTA doesn't come off the satellite). E* could easily change it it the future so that OTA would not work if the box is not subscribed.

One caveat to my earlier post...

The DHA plan price includes satellite locals, even if you are not interested or even if they are not available in your area.

snathanb said:
I respectfully, yet adamently, disagree :)

On the DHA plan, the monthly cost is exactly the same as owning the equipment.

But the cost at the end of the year is offset by you owning $300-$400 in equipment. That makes owning a better option. If the commitment bothers you, by all means don't commit for the two years. If it really bothers you just lease it.

If you are set on having the 522, it is my understanding that it is only available to the lease customers. Is this correct?

gpflepsen said:
But the cost at the end of the year is offset by you owning $300-$400 in equipment. That makes owning a better option.

Good point. The fee for non-returning an 811 is $200.. so, even on a lease, you could still probably turn a profit on the 811.

I agree with you both. :)

I chose free equipment, because I thought it would be better to own, and have the option of selling at the end of the commitment or whenever I felt like upgrading. Also, at the time, DHA (DHP?) was an additional $5 per month.

However, now I wish I had gone with DHA, so as not to be bogged down by a one year commitment.

In the end, it's just TV and you are watching what you want. We probably make much more of the issues than the ordinary complacent consumer.

How much left on your sentence, Gary? 10 months?

I think I have 8 months left on the new sub. But, you know, by being locked in, I may actually get to see a turnaround in Dish. They have been making wholesale personnel changes and additions in several troubled areas, such as product development and customer service. Their geeks really seem to be working harder on the bug issues. They seem to be trying to form a coherent strategy.

I'd like nothing more than to see them return to the quality and service I enjoyed in a past (single) life as a previous customer. I like having WPIX available. I look forward to being able to once again recommend Dish to friends, and reap the Club Dish rewards. 8 months is plenty of time for them to do it.

Sounds like the new car " to buy or to lease" discussions that have been going on for years. Choice is what makes the world go around.

Don't count on any E* receiver being able to do ANYTHING unless you're a current Dish subscriber. A given box, might, or it might not - just don't count on it.

As for the 322/522 - they are lease only. They can NOT be owned. The ones on eBay are almost certainly illegal, or at best, the seller is ignorant. Dish has stopped activating purchased x22's - although a sob story might work if you've already got one.

I guess Im a knucklehead. Didnt know there was a difference or option of buying or leasing. Had install yesterday, they installed a superdish, 811, 510 and a 522. Im paying $10 a month for the equipment so I guess its a lease. I believe I also have a one year commitment but it seems I got alot of equipment for $10 a month. Let me know what you think. Did i get taken.????? :no

Weedhopper said:
I guess Im a knucklehead. Didnt know there was a difference or option of buying or leasing. Had install yesterday, they installed a superdish, 811, 510 and a 522. Im paying $10 a month for the equipment so I guess its a lease. I believe I also have a one year commitment but it seems I got alot of equipment for $10 a month. Let me know what you think. Did i get taken.????? :no

If they gave you a 522... I think you are probably leasing...

Did they have you sign an contract while you were there?

If so... does it say "DISH Network Digital Home Advantage Agreement"?

If so, it's a lease.

The $10 is for 2 xtra recrs. I did sign a contract while they were here but there are no lease fees and no DVR fees. I got the everything package and DVR fees are waived. I basically I pay $100 a month for all equipment and all channels including HDTV package. Based on the equipment I got, I dont think its too bad. Access to 3 dvrs is awesome.

With the 811, there is the 1 year HD pak commitment required. If it weren't for that, I might consider the DHA plan, profit aside. I owned a Panasonic D* reciever and it actually went down in value.

Unless there is a way out of the HD pak requirement, it seems to make more sense to own, since you are locked into a commitment to get the 811 anyway, albeit for the HD programming specifically.

I'm going to be ordering my Dish service as a new subscriber shortly. I was slightly suprised that even the DHA requires a commitment if you want the 811, which seems to be contradictory to the point of choosing DHA.

I also find it odd that the new Club Dish cards (one of which I plan to use) make no reference to the free-for-all (own) but rather only discuss the DHA plan. I would imagine I can still choose to own, per the above reasoning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts