Just switched from D* to E*. Need a little help with the 922

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Well I pulled the trigger a couple of days ago and made the switch to Dish. Got the 922 installed and have to say that so far, I'm loving it. Way way better receiver than my HR21. Have had no trouble with missed recordings so far, no lock ups, and sling works great. I love it.

Coming from Directv though I've never used a Dish DVR before so a few things are a little different. The big question I have though is this. On Directv when you fast forward and then hit play it jumps back a couple of seconds. That way if you're a little slow hitting play you don't have to rewind or anything. My 922 does not do this and it's very annoying. It just stops wherever you hit play. I looked through the menu's and did not see any option to make it do this. Is there anyway to fix this?

Also if you guys know any tricks and/or shortcuts for Dish DVR's I would love to hear them!

Skip forward button-skips 30 seconds forward. Skip backward button - skips back 10 seconds. Most subs don't use the fast foward or backward much . I advise you to use the skip buttons instead of the fast foward/backwards button .

Agree with Mike. Coming from a TV years ago I always did the FF (and it skipped back a few seconds). I didn't think I'd ever like the 30 second skip. However I got used to it real quick and could never imagine going back. Give the 30 second skip forward and the 10 second skip back a shot. I think you'll like it.

Ok. I'll try it. Never was a big fan of the 30 second skip on Directv but it's worth giving it a shot.

Second question. I have a SD tv that I want to get the home distribution signal to. The install said I can use the triplexer that came with the 922 to back feed the distribution signal in with my satellite coax. He didn't say what to do next. Do I just put a splitter in the satellite coax after my grounding block and send the other feed to my SD tv and tune that tv to the station that I set in the menu in the 922?

If there is a coax cable run from the 922 home distribution port to the sd tv , it should work on the channel you preselect in the menu . Say channel 60 or 62 antenna or cable. The triplexor should allow you to do that but I really don't know how it works even though I have one. I use simple coax out from my 922 , to my splitter under the house and from there it runs to the other tvs in the house and they see it on channel 60 for tv 1 and channel 62 for tv 2.

Maybe someone else can chime in on how the triplexor is supposed to work?

Ok. I'll try it. Never was a big fan of the 30 second skip on Directv but it's worth giving it a shot.

Second question. I have a SD tv that I want to get the home distribution signal to. The install said I can use the triplexer that came with the 922 to back feed the distribution signal in with my satellite coax. He didn't say what to do next. Do I just put a splitter in the satellite coax after my grounding block and send the other feed to my SD tv and tune that tv to the station that I set in the menu in the 922?

You need to put a diplexer over buy the grounding block. Not a splitter

Ok. How do I wire the diplexer? Obviously 1 will come from my grounding block, 1 will be the sat feed/home distribution from my 922, and 1 will be the feed going to my sd tv. But which hookup wires go where on the diplexer?

Years ago, my 622 would move back in time about a half-second after you hit pause then play, and I LOVED it. Unfortunately we lost that feature with a software upgrade and newer DVRs haven't reimplemented it. Seems now that if you hit pause and play, you lose at least a half-second (of audio, at least) and it has remained annoying for years (at least to me).

I do like the skip (forward and backward) buttons a lot more than the fast forward or rewind buttons, though. Very useful.

Ok. How do I wire the diplexer? Obviously 1 will come from my grounding block, 1 will be the sat feed/home distribution from my 922, and 1 will be the feed going to my sd tv. But which hookup wires go where on the diplexer?

On the diplexer there is three ports.. 1 says sat that goes to the satellite. 1 says in/out that goes to the recv or the triplexer and one says vhf/uhf that goes to the sd tv.You then need to go in to the settings and figure out what channel.. Good luck

Cool. Got it wired up. Have the channels set and I am receiving signal on my SD tv. I haven't tried the TV2 work around (will later tonight) but it's mirroring TV1 just fine. With 1 small exception. I can't access my guide or menu or DVR or anything. The buttons all work but as soon as I hit guide it makes what's on the TV a really small box in the top left corner of my screen, and the rest of the screen is black.

BTW. I'm getting used to the 30 second skip. It's pretty nice once you get used to it.

Cool. Got it wired up. Have the channels set and I am receiving signal on my SD tv. I haven't tried the TV2 work around (will later tonight) but it's mirroring TV1 just fine. With 1 small exception. I can't access my guide or menu or DVR or anything. The buttons all work but as soon as I hit guide it makes what's on the TV a really small box in the top left corner of my screen, and the rest of the screen is black.

BTW. I'm getting used to the 30 second skip. It's pretty nice once you get used to it.

Mine does that every once in a while.. You need to do a soft reset..

Ok well that leads to the dumbest question yet then. :) On my directv dvrs you did a soft reset through the menu. How do you do it on the 922? Or do you just mean the red button on the front?

Ok did not take a soft reset. I changed the shared view option to on and everything is working great now. Thanks everyone!

Anyone else having issues with the "skip back" button on the 922 when watching recorded programs? When I hit "skip back" once or twice it performs correctly. But if I hit it a few times in succession, it skips back to the beginning of the episode I'm watching, even if I'm over an hour into the episode. It's very annoying because then I have to fast forward all the way again.

Don't skip backward that many times or slow down and skip it one at a time. The 922 is a touchy machine ,especially at first. There is an adjustment period for those of us that have had DISH for years with the 922, so there really has to be one for former Directv subs.

The 922 has a lot of issues moving back and forth in programming. Try pausing going forward and back a few frames and suddenly you can end up somewhere else in the program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)