just switched from directv...question on recording to DVR functionality

wags1070

Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Maine
I just got hooked up with Dish today after 10 years with Directv, having to dump them because of service issues. One thing I always enjoyed with directv was the ability to record an in progress TV show with the touch of a button, which would set the DVR to record it and stop recording at its scheduled end time. The Dish installer today told me that I cannot do this with Dish, that if I'm watching an in progress show, and decide I want to record it, I cannot simply hit the record button, as it won't stop itself at the end of the show, and will continue recording until manually stopped. I'm hoping he was wrong, because that is a ridiculous shortcoming if that's the case. He said in order to do it, I had to drill down in a menu and manually set it when to stop. I have not tried it yet, but I find that to be a bad design if that is the case. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to record an in progress show and have it stop automatically without drilling down through menus to make it happen? If not, I suppose I'll simply get used to it and maybe it won't bother me so much in time, but right now I find it ridiculous if I can't do it with a simple button press like I did on directv. Thanks

Your installer in on crack.

You can record a show in the middle and it will stop at the end.
There are also several more recording options over D* DVRs.
D* HR's are only Repeat and First Run of recording options, and I've noticed "First run" setting often misses schedule recordings.
The R15 is the worst at that, HR 23 is in 2nd , The R16 is spot on.

Never Has any VIP missed a recording in the 3 years I've used them.

that is awesome to hear. I'll have to play around with it to get used to the new format,etc. But that is great news! Thanks!!

You just hit record. You can also "background" it to the tuner if you select the options button when it pops up.

Depending on the buffer, you can actually record the "whole event" under options also. ( if you start watching a show from the beginning and decide to record it after it starts, and don't change the channel before that. )

when you record a program mid stream it starts where the buffer was. So if you turn the program on at 6:06 and it started at 6, it will record from 6:06 until the end of the program

On my R22 when I do this I get a popup that says "you are now recording" and gives the options of changing the recording time (add minutes to the end), record the whole series and a couple other options. I do it all the time

If you were watching, rewind to the beginning and if still in the buffer you can record from there.
If you have the recorder in single mode (button next to power inside the door) then you can, after starting the recording or any time, swap the viewed tuner.
Dual mode is for independent operation of TV2 at the loss of PIP and swap.

Hit record, then options in popup, then record entire event. This will get the whole show, no rewind necessary... Provided you were on the channel when the show started.

Hit record, then options in popup, then record entire event. This will get the whole show, no rewind necessary... Provided you were on the channel when the show started.

Every time I've that it fails to recoerd the entire event so I just rewind first, works every time.

Here are some screen shots from my 722k that shows the recording options.

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 175
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 190
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 148
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
BEEP wrong answer

I just got hooked up with Dish today after 10 years with Directv, having to dump them because of service issues. One thing I always enjoyed with directv was the ability to record an in progress TV show with the touch of a button, which would set the DVR to record it and stop recording at its scheduled end time. The Dish installer today told me that I cannot do this with Dish, that if I'm watching an in progress show, and decide I want to record it, I cannot simply hit the record button, as it won't stop itself at the end of the show, and will continue recording until manually stopped. I'm hoping he was wrong, because that is a ridiculous shortcoming if that's the case. He said in order to do it, I had to drill down in a menu and manually set it when to stop. I have not tried it yet, but I find that to be a bad design if that is the case. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to record an in progress show and have it stop automatically without drilling down through menus to make it happen? If not, I suppose I'll simply get used to it and maybe it won't bother me so much in time, but right now I find it ridiculous if I can't do it with a simple button press like I did on directv. Thanks

He is full of it. You hit the record button and it will give you options.

I always get there 5 seconds too late to record all.
-Ken

Which is why Dish's VIPs need the same pause and live buffers as their 625(2 hour pause/2-120 minute live buffers).:rant:

When i was with D* I use to think the"one button record" wasn't so great especially when I accidentally hit the"record" button and it would take off recording something I did not want recorded.:confused:

Now operating Dish's 625 and accidentally hitting the "record" button I have to select to record that program needless to say I like that alot better.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)