This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Jvc Hm-dsr100du E* D-vhs?

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
OK, this one will really date me.

I still have a JVC HM-DSR100DU from back in the days of my original E* service. At the time it was a great system with the ability to record stunning video on D-VHS tape (in mpeg format). Only down side was the fan which sounds something like a 747 on take off. (I once removed the fan, it is actually very quiet, the problem is the design of how and where it is mounted)

Anyway, my one non-HD box is a DISH 311 (leased). I was considering sending that back to E* and reactivating the JVC. I realize I need a DISHPro adapter and already have one of those

In terms of software features or functionality is there any reason why I would not want to do this?

Why it would hardly seem like DISH to abandon customers of their top end equipment. ;-)

Actually, the csr tech is the one who told me I needed the DishPro adapter so it appears that it still has at least minimal support.

on a serious note, dish has abandon the 501, 508, 511, 721, and 921 users.

i won't say for sure on your model. but don't hold your breath.

Wow, I have 4 of those *plus* an old D-VHS receiver (unused).
I feel so lucky to be a dish early-adopter, we certainly have been shown how much they care about us.

Seriously, the older receivers guide info is very painfully slow for sure.

There was a recent (11/2004) upgrade for the HM-DSR100, so I wouldn't exactly call it "abandoned." I consider it a first (or 1.5) generation box. As a x000-series receiver, Dish won't support SuperDish on it. Also, if it is an early unit, the IR receiver wasn't enabled (UHF remote only) which puts the cabosh on using it with Universal remotes.

I don't use mine for anything but a VCR nowadays, as everything I've got is HD. Every once in a while (like free HBO / Showtime / Cinemax weekends) I'll hook it up to the dish and record some movies if anything's good.

Amphicar770, did Dish ever send you a Yellow Card for your HM-DSR100? Oh, and what it's worth, a Dish CSR once told me that there are only about 75 of these things still in use.

Amphicar770, I just wanted to warn you that korsjs takes every opportunity he can to bash Dish Network. A lot of what he says is simply not true. Dish has not abandoned 501, 508, 511, 721, and 921 users. What he is most likely is referring to, is the recent announcement that Dish will not support name based recording on these devices. This does not mean that there will be no support at all like he is implying.

Tony S said:
Amphicar770, I just wanted to warn you that korsjs takes every opportunity he can to bash Dish Network.

simply not true. there are many of us who have grown tired of the dish lies. in the past, i have always defended them when all the direct tv users would come over and laugh about how dish can't write stable software, etc, but will not do so any more. if dish does something positive, i support it. one example is the rumored wwf channel. i have said dish is smart in adding that. i also have said and agreed that they have better programming packages and prices, however, come feb 1, that might not be the case any more.

i still have dish network and believe me, i would like to stay with them and am giving them every opportunity to do so because of the cash i have invested in them. but with all current receivers most likely needing to be replaced when mpeg 4 comes around, it is a little scary.

I own a 501 and 508 and honestly could care less about NBR. When I purchased both receivers I knew they didn't have NBR and that's fine. To me the potential downside of implementing NBR on my now stable platform is not worth it. If I owned a 510 or 921 and had to pay the idiotic VOD fee I probably would feel differently. Dish needs to either make NBR available on those receivers or drop the stupid fee.

NightRyder