Kansas City, MO\KS area to get ATSC 3.0 on August 24.

Route66Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Missouri
I just received the following message from Jay Nix, Director of Engineering at KSHB & KMCI:
Kansas City is scheduled to launch ATSC 3.0 on Aug 24th. KMCI and Bounce will slide within the transport stream of KSHB. Court Mystery and HSN will be added to the WDAF transport stream. KMCI will then be the ATSC 3.0 station for KSHB, KMCI, WDAF and KCPT. KSMO-62 will be the ATSC 3.0 for KCTV, KSMO, KMBC and KCWE.
It looks like almost every full-power TV station in the Kansas City area, except for KTAJ-TV & KPXE-TV, will be participating in ATSC 3.0 starting on August 24, 2021.

I just received the following message from Jay Nix, Director of Engineering at KSHB & KMCI:

It looks like almost every full-power TV station in the Kansas City area, except for KTAJ-TV & KPXE-TV, will be participating in ATSC 3.0 starting on August 24, 2021.

Your tuner is 3.0 ready, correct?

Reactions: Route66Fan
According to KyL416 on the AVS Forum, here is where the KMCI & KSMO's ATSC 1.0 broadcasts will move to on August 24, 2021.
These will be the locations of KSMO's ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
62.1 MyNetworkTV will be on KCTV's RF 24 signal
62.2 The Grio will be on KMBC's RF 29 signal
62.3 DABL will be on KMBC's RF 29 signal
62.4 Cozi will be on KCWE's RF 31 signal
62.5 Circle will be on KCWE's RF 31 signal
These will be the locations of KMCI's ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
38.1 KMCI will be on KSHB's RF 36 signal
38.2 Bounce will be on KSHB's RF 36 signal
38.3 CourtTV Mystery will be on WDAF's RF 34 signal
38.4 HSN will be on WDAF's RF 34 signal

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
I had to make a correction to the 2nd quote in my above post. Here is another post from KyL416 on the AVS Forum.
So as of now, the following will be available in ATSC 3.0:
KMCI (RF 25):
4-1 WDAF (FOX)
19-1 KCPT (PBS)
38-1 KMCI
41-1 KSHB (NBC)

KSMO (RF 32):
5-1 KCTV (CBS)
9-1 KMBC (ABC)
29-1 KCWE (CW)
62-1 KSMO (MyNet)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
New toy arrived today-

28FA3B5F-1B53-47EA-A788-8F995FA0EDC6.jpeg
C7A4109C-D320-4791-9720-72E640D099FF.jpeg

I wonder how soon we'll be seeing 4K broadcasts. That will be what gets me to buy an ATSC 3.0 tuner sooner rather than later. Not sure if 4K broadcasts will be planned for any of the football games this fall. I know Fox will have some in 4K since Fubo has a broadcast schedule of 4K events, but whether the locals will re-broadcast the 4K feed is what I'm curious about.

I wonder how soon we'll be seeing 4K broadcasts. That will be what gets me to buy an ATSC 3.0 tuner sooner rather than later. Not sure if 4K broadcasts will be planned for any of the football games this fall. I know Fox will have some in 4K since Fubo has a broadcast schedule of 4K events, but whether the locals will re-broadcast the 4K feed is what I'm curious about.

I doubt there will ever be much available in 4K OTA. I believe the broadcasters will utilize 3.0 more as a method to cram even more subchannels onto their RF channel.

Reactions: navychop

Since broadcasters have to maintain their existing AtSC1.0 broadcasts for 3 years, I highly doubt that you will see any 4K broadcasts for at least 3 years. Once they are able to shut down the ATSC1.0 they will be able to do more.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I am monitoring the signals of KMCI & KSMO, using the HDHomeRun Config & TSReader Lite apps. I'll try to have a video of what I see up sometime later today or tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)