KBS World help

springs80923

Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
colorado springs, colorado
Was wondering how I can receive KBS World. I have an old dish from when I was with TanTV (even though they didn't offer KBS World) and it has an Lnb. Is KBS World available in North America for free? If so, which satellite is it on and can I use the existing TanTV receivers?

KBSW is on ch 9850 @ 61.5, 118.7, or 121 satellites, you don't have to have a dish sub to get it since it is in preview status, you do need at least a used dish network receiver with a current G3 smartcard and it cant be locked. in other words when the former owner was done with it they must have allowed it to call in to prevent the card from locking after 45 days, and it must have been constantly connected to some dish network satellite since to stay current in the authorization and smartcard revision. A new receiver that was never subbed with a subscrition wont work since it is not authorized for previews. Otherwise you would have to sub to $6 access fee and something like a $2 a month ala carte superstaion to get the hit that would allow you to also see KBSworld preview. After a month you could just cancel and still see the free preview channels.

r10fret...thanks for the information. I'm relatively new at this kind of stuff so bear with me and my questions. I do have an old TanTV satellite dish (larger than the ones from DISH and Direct TV) and it has its own LNB. I have 2 Tan TV receivers (one is a HUMAX) and I have 2 older model DISH network receivers and each has its old smart card. Can I use my existing equipment and pay someone to start the service to KBS. I'm not interested in other channels...jst want to get KBS.

Many thanks for what you have given me already. I'm learning.

Sounds like you can perhaps use your dish/lnb for the 121 satellite, you need purple smartcard in the dish receiver to see the channel though, but you could probably use your old dish receiver to lineup the dish and see if you can get a signal reading on the 121 satellite tp 15. EL:42 AZ: 200 skew :19

Last edited:
Thanks again...I do have a couple of old DISH receivers and each has the smart card that came with it...closed the account years ago and they never asked for the equipment. Right now I'm using that Tan TV dish and the HUMAX receiver and am able to pick up some channels...mostly religious. I just need to get KBS...don't care about any of the other channels.

With the TAN TV sat dish, what other channels can you get besides the Korean channel which you pay for?

I read TAN TV did closed down or transfer all accounts to another provider, Direct TV. If you want MBC and SBS, you have to subscribe to Direct TV. It cost around $30 for 5+ korean channels with locals...it will cost you $40+ (1TV).

Otherwise, the video store is another option. Depending on where you live, each DVD cost $1.25 to rent.

When Tan TV went away they had me return the smart cards but I kept the 2 receiver boxes and the dish. With the current set up I can get a couple of korean religious channels, the history channel, some radio channels and a few other foreign channels. I was told by a friend at work to go to a free to air site and buy a new receiver and they would set it up for me to receive the korean programming. Not sure what type to buy...the FTA sites have dozens to pick from.

You might check with Home2US.com and see what they can do for you.

KBS mentions only DISH Network but Home2US speaks of offering Tan channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)