KBS World only on 121 (????)

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I noticed on the new schedule that came with my recent Dish Network bill that KBS World is available to subscribers of AT60 and above, but only on the 121 bird. I note that on the 61.5 bird, channel 652, that KBS World is encrypted. Is the programming on channel 652 different from that on channel 704? If it's the same, why is it only available unencrypted on 121, channel 704, for subcribers of AT60 and above? :confused:

Anyone receiving both 61.5 AND 121?

epsilon said:
KBS (652) is probably different than KBS-World (704). According the the Dish channel chart, they're both encrypted. However, 704 is mirrored on 9850 and that one is available to AT60+ subscribers.

That charts shows both channel 704 and 9850 on the 121 bird. That doesn't make sense.

I don't think there is two different types of KBS programming. Lyngsat shows "KBS" on 61.5, 121, and 148 and I understand that there are other international channels on all 3 birds. Someone who can see both 61.5 and 121 could compare the programming to verify that it's the same programming. If they do, I'm going to make a stink with Dish since I receive 61.5 but not 121.

I don't have KP and can't verify the programming difference but, having both dishes, can confirm that 652 & 704 are encrypted and 9850 is not (I have AT180). I don't understand why they're mirroring them on the same sat either.

This space left intentionally blank

epsilon said:
I don't have KP and can't verify the programming difference but, having both dishes, can confirm that 652 & 704 are encrypted and 9850 is not (I have AT180). I don't understand why they're mirroring them on the same sat either.

What type of programming is on 9850? Is there a KBS logo in the corner of the screen. If so what does it exactly read? What shows up in the programming guide? Are there subtitles? Thanks

Right now 9850 is showing "Challenge of Golden Bell" and it is subbed. The next program is "Delicacy Exploration". The channel bug says KBS WORLD. In the past, I've noticed subs on kdramas but not on variety or other game shows.

Probably Somewhat Different Programming

You're probably correct about the programming on KBS and KBS World not being exactly the same. My wife gets KBS via TAN TV on AMC4, a subscription service on a misnamed "Free to Air" satellite and it does not have subtitles and the logo only says "KBS".

It still irks me that I cannot get it since I pay as much for programming as others that do get it. I'm "sure" E* will give me a free Superdish so I can get it.:rolleyes:

DOES CHUCK STAY AWAKE ALL NIGHT THINKING OF WAYS TO IRRITATE CUSTOMERS OR DOES IT JUST COME NATURALLY?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts