KCOP My Network TV Los Angeles DMA

cool80z

PIT MEMBER
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
So Cal
I noticed today that Dish started carrying KCOP the Los Angeles My network TV affiliate in HD. I have had it in HD for a while over the air. Now why can't Dish have program guides for all the Digital sub channels ?????:confused:

I noticed today that Dish started carrying KCOP the Los Angeles My network TV affiliate in HD. I have had it in HD for a while over the air. Now why can't Dish have program guides for all the Digital sub channels ?????:confused:

About the digital sub channels, there are other threads on here that ask the same question (I don't even know what the answer is) At least you're getting My network TV in HD through DISH. I still can't get my PBS in HD through DISH in Detroit.

It will never happen. Dish carries a few subchannel listings, but the listings are often wildly inaccurate. Why should Dish care what is on a station that they don't even carry? I too wish they would carry the listings, but I have given up on Dish being open about anything and doing the right thing.

Yes, confirmed, KCOP, 13 MyTV is LIL HD. This is going to make a lot of sports fans happy as KCOP 13, is Fox's fall back for Dodger games or other local sports games that KTTV Fox 11 usually airs, but won't air during its prime-time programming. As a flagship station in it is vital that KTTV Fox 11 air all prime-time programming in the massive LA DMA in order to greatly pump up the overall national numbers so FOX Network can charge the most for advertising and get the numbers that beat the competition nationally.

I think the addition of KCOP 13, is just about completes all the stations that 98% of the folk in LA want as part of LIL HD. Personally, I would like Dish to add KLCS 58 (the only PBS that isn't LIL HD) and KPAX 30 ION TV to LIL HD, and that would make it complete for me and just about the last 2% of people here. Now, there are a ton of other stations in the LA DMA that would still not be LIL HD, but they are mostly the non-Spanish foreign language stations, but even the main channel of those stations don't have HD content, anyway.

I forgot about ol' KDOC 56, the Get Smart station. AFAIK, the Ducks games are the only regularly scheduled HD content. In fact, KDOC main channel was running in SD for a number of months and just returned to HD a few weeks ago. In fact that changeover back to HD caused major headaches for a TiVo subscriber who had to call the station engineer and get it going right. They are a funny station. Rick Dees used to call it "the snow channel," the Wally George years. So, I guess KDOC 56 for Ducks fans would make it really complete.

I'm not sure if KLCS 58 actually broadcasts in HD. I think if it did broadcast in HD that Dish would have put it up when it put up the other LA PBS stations in HD.

Right, the main channel is not in HD. I don't know why KLCS 58 chooses to air its main channel in SD (as KDOC, 56 did for several months), as they do air some PBS content very recently sent to member stations in HD. Perhaps they fell that the main in SD improves the PQ on the other 3 -multiplexed channels. Dish did not put up all PBS in stations. Under the terms, they were obligated to put up only a number of PBS member stations in exchange for postponing having to put them ALL up (sometime in 2012 or 2013, I think?) so I think they were not obligated to put up KLCS 58, and given the limited bandwidth, WON'T put them up until the mandate kicks in next year or later. Dish put up only what they had to.

BTW, I have noticed great improvement on KNBC and KABC multiplexed channels that used to have horrible pixelation. Living Well in HD on 7.2 looks much more like good HD PQ and the SD version at 7.3 does NOT suffer in PQ while seemingly no longer causing pixelation on the main 7.1 HD channel. Perhaps better MPEG2 encoders now being used by the stations? Even the broadcasters with 9 or 10 multiplexed channels are looking better--via OTA, of course as they are not up-linked by Dish.

Any likelihood of this channel being added to the Superstations pacakge? I subscibe to 2 of the channels "A La Carte" and would like to add this one if its available.

The law that enables carriers to show the supers actually names the channels that can be covered. KCOP is not one of them. Only WWOR, WPIX, WSBK, KWGN, and KTLA.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems kind of stupid that New York's My Network TV affiliate is part of the Superstations package, but LA's My Network TV affiliate is not. I like getting as much Out of Market sports(especially baseball) as possible so I was hoping this could work for me. Oh well.

If the goal is to watch more baseball I am always in sympathy. unfortunately it is what it is. Remember though the whole business of designating "superstations" started way before there was a MY Network. In fact my understanding is that despite the name MyNetwork is no longer even considered a network.

One would not really want KCOP 13, anyway. They only show Dodger Games as part of the National MLB games when KTTV Fox 11 won't air it. I didn't make that clear in my earlier post. KCAL, 9 (owned by CBS, also the owner of KCBS 2, Los Angeles) is the home of the Dodgers for non-national broadcasts, which are most games. Further, KCOP 13 is still a junk channel, IMHO. Although, some people like the Sienfeld repeats. Overall, KCAL 9 is a better station, especially with its tons of newscasts.

One would not really want KCOP 13, anyway. They only show Dodger Games as part of the National MLB games when KTTV Fox 11 won't air it. I didn't make that clear in my earlier post. KCAL, 9 (owned by CBS, also the owner of KCBS 2, Los Angeles) is the home of the Dodgers for non-national broadcasts, which are most games. Further, KCOP 13 is still a junk channel, IMHO. Although, some people like the Sienfeld repeats. Overall, KCAL 9 is a better station, especially with its tons of newscasts.

Ummm, KCOP carries games of the LA Angels of Anaheim. They have since 2006. KCAL OTOH carries the Dodgers when they traded with the halos in 2006. Anyway's KCOP used to be great when I watched it via ivi.tv before that shut down due to a court order.

KLCS 58 is owned and operated by the LA Unified School District (K 'L'osangeles 'C'ity 'Schools), and their main mission is to support LA Unified and, to a lesser degree, the government of the City of Los Angeles. I seriously doubt that HD is in that station's immediate future. As for KDOC 56 I have not watched all of the Ducks broadcasts, but none of the ones I have seen OTA have been in HD. I personally agree that KCOP is now a junk channel. I used to watch it back in the UPN days for Star Trek: Voyager and DS9. They also had a few other shows that were worth watching, like Seven Days. Since UPN went dark I don't think I have tuned in to KCOP more than a couple of times.

KLCS 58 is owned and operated by the LA Unified School District (K 'L'osangeles 'C'ity 'Schools), and their main mission is to support LA Unified and, to a lesser degree, the government of the City of Los Angeles. I seriously doubt that HD is in that station's immediate future. As for KDOC 56 I have not watched all of the Ducks broadcasts, but none of the ones I have seen OTA have been in HD. I personally agree that KCOP is now a junk channel. I used to watch it back in the UPN days for Star Trek: Voyager and DS9. They also had a few other shows that were worth watching, like Seven Days. Since UPN went dark I don't think I have tuned in to KCOP more than a couple of times.

The only show KCOP carries thats still good from it's days that KTTV had at 12 PM before they put the news on there, I Love Lucy 2 hrs from 12-2 PM weekdays. KTTV still has Lucy on Weekends as filler programming.

you have got to check your OTA or other equipment because all the Ducks games I have seen since KDOC has returned to HD have all been in HD, including one a few nights ago. Something has gotta be wrong on your end. Anyway, I hope you get it fixed, if you like the Ducks, that is.

KLCS could easily go HD on the main, at least for the PBS programming they air, but the engineers probably feel that they would be airing far too much 4:3 content to justify massive compression on the the 3 other multiplexed channels they air. Evidently, KDOC 56 felt the same as they were SD on the main for several months only just recently returning to HD most likely for the Ducks games as that is the only content I have ever seen in HD on KDOC and their repeats of shows are stuff that mostly predates HD.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems kind of stupid that New York's My Network TV affiliate is part of the Superstations package, but LA's My Network TV affiliate is not. I like getting as much Out of Market sports(especially baseball) as possible so I was hoping this could work for me. Oh well.

The Superstations were originally provided to offer ONLY WB and UPN alternate channels. It is only recently that the UPN went dark and some former UPN's became My TV stations. So, the superstations we have today--WB's now turned into CW's still owned by Tribune, a MY TV WWOR, and WSBK Boston (still unaffiliated?)--are a legacy of another era, and that is why the stations affiliations seem a bit untidy.

The superstations were arounf long before the formation of the CW and UPN. In fact when those networks were formed forums like this were full of posts predicting that if the superstations affilaited with them they would lose their status.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)