KCRG 9.3 CW - Cedar Rapids - Getting sound on Surround Left and Center only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ESPNSTI

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Decorah, IA
Can anyone confirm that KCRG 9.3 CW as of late is essentially only mixing the center channel, and the surround left channel?
And surround left appears to be a copy of the center channel.
It was working without issue, until sometime last week.
I can't imagine that this is something on my end.

It seems to only happen during the show itself.
When a commercial or a network promo is running, it seems to be fine.
It also doesn't seem to do it on any other channel that I've checked.
For example, SyFy works OK, and I get sound from the correct speakers, including the surround ones.
Using any other source, like Blu-Ray or PC also works OK.

Turning off Dolby on the Hopper3 doesn't seem to make any difference.
My A/V receiver indicates it's getting a 5.1 Dolby signal:

KCRG-9.3-CW-C+SL.jpg

Does anyone else have this?

Is it only happening during a specific show or multiple shows on the same channel?
What show is it (to rule out the network feed)?
Are you pulling it in OTA or just subscribed to Dish local?

A number of shows on this channel have had this issue.
Currently I don't have OTA, it's Dish local.

I've had this happened on:
  • Monday:
    • Roswell, New Mexico
    • The Republic of Sarah
  • Tuesday:
    • Star Girl
    • Superman & Lois
  • Wednesday:
    • In the Dark.
  • Thursday:
    • The Outpost.
  • Sunday:
    • Legends of Tomorrow
The shows from Tuesday on are still in the DVR.

I had a similar issue with one of my locals that I only received through Dish.I ended up going to the AVSforum "local HDTV info and reception" thread where I lucked out.Someone had an AVR,Direct tv and OTA reception so we could compare notes.
In the meantime perhaps contact Dish and/or the station although they usually will claim it's the other party at fault.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've cross posted it to AVSforum.

Before contacting DISH/KCRG, I'm looking to get some confirmation of someone else with the issue first so that I at least have some evidence that it's not something with my equipment.
Without that, the cynic in me would expect that aside from claiming each other, they'd claim it's my setup.

Reactions: tanman
I had a similar problem on my CW in 2016. I emailed the chief engineer and two day later, the problem was fixed. The audio had been that way since the digital conversion in 2009. After seven years, there was finally something on the CW I actually wanted to watch, so I complained. Amazing that no one at the station had bothered to listen to their own air. Or maybe someone did and didn't care.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Seven years is impressive.

I've seen the occasional screw up on the local channels, like a window-boxed picture or things like that, but usually that is fixed within a few hours, or a day at most.

I had a similar problem on my CW in 2016. I emailed the chief engineer and two day later, the problem was fixed. The audio had been that way since the digital conversion in 2009. After seven years, there was finally something on the CW I actually wanted to watch, so I complained. Amazing that no one at the station had bothered to listen to their own air. Or maybe someone did and didn't care.
Is the CW a sub channel or a primary? If sub, it's possible someone is not regularly listening to it. It's also possible they're not listening to it in 5.1, but a mixdown. They should notice the VU meters though.

Reactions: Jimbo
It sounds like it just got fixed.
I'm watching Roswell, New Mexico, and the problem was initially there, but stopped after about a minute or two.

No, I do not have an antenna, I have the Dish "Local Channels" package.
KCRG 9.3 CW is on channel 020-00.
I don't think 9.2 is included.

Is the CW a sub channel or a primary? If sub, it's possible someone is not regularly listening to it. It's also possible they're not listening to it in 5.1, but a mixdown. They should notice the VU meters though.

Primary. A UHF running at 1000KW. It sounded like it was out of phase somehow. The center channel was mixing into the other channels making the dialogue hard to hear. Also, this was only happening on CW programming. Maybe they only checked it during off network hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)