Keep 811 set to 1080i or not?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Do you guys keep 811 set to 1080i output, even if broadcast you're watching is 720p? Or do you switch to 720p in HDTV menu? I'm wondering if the picture would be better if I switched output to match broadcast? This would only apply when I watch HDTV on my projector, so it's not a big deal. Thanks.

This is a subjective call and probably depends on your set to some extent, but I always get the best picture in 1080i mode regardless of the source.

BTW- How can you tell on the 811 whether the source is one or the other?

811 & 1080i

rhasselbaum said:
This is a subjective call and probably depends on your set to some extent, but I always get the best picture in 1080i mode regardless of the source.

BTW- How can you tell on the 811 whether the source is one or the other?

There is no way on the 811 to check if the source is 720 or 1080, that I know of. You can only check what the 811 is set at in the HDTV m

NOBODY else has any opinions?

My projector is 1280x720, so I leave the receiver set to the 720p setting. Those 1080i channels need to be scaled down to 720p one way or another to match the projector, so might as well do it in the receiver and make life easier. Plus if you leave it at 1080 then it has to upscale and then downscale again, which you definitely don't want to do. So I'd say always set it to match the native resolution of your display device.

The scaller on the 811 is agreed to be a POS, so the best thing to do would be to set it to whatever the res for that channel is. I wish they would implement an output native selection, but we have to make do I guess.

HD vs. SD

I had read about 1 month ago or so on another SAT forum that changing the setting in the 811 does affect the viewing experience according to the source being displayed. However I should say that particular post was discussing SD as well as HD sources. If I remember correctly, when watching SD material the 811 should actually be set to 480P for the best viewing experience. And when watching anything on Dish's HD pack (9420 & higher), the 811's setting should be determined by the source with 1080i being the most prevalent.

Ken

The 811 outputs 480I on the composite and s-video jacks. There is no way to adjust the SD at all. That said, when you are in HD mode, you can set your 811 for 480P, 720P, and 1080I. Whatever you set it for will be what is outputted. The 811 will not output whatever signal it sees out as that signal. An example, ABC transmits HD at 720P and CBS is at 1080I. You have to set the outputs manually to accomodate each. Even that doesn't matter much, because you should set your 811 output to that which is native to your TV. There are not many that will have 720P and 1080I as native resolutions.

On the other board, some were saying that their SD programming looked better, while in the HD mode, when they changed the output to 480P. I experimented with this on my Mits 65". I found that there was little difference between the 480P in HD mode and 480I in SD mode using S-video. My Mits has a pretty good line doubler, that is the difference.

No no no. The point is the scaler on the 811 is a huge pos. So therefore you should set the 811 to whatever the resoultion of the channel your watching so the TV does the scalling and NOT the 811...

The easiest thing to do, that will provide the best quality compromise, is to leave the 811 set to 1080i. Let the display use its superior scaler to convert the resolution.

The highest quality image would be gotten from constantly switching the output of the 811 to match the input signal. You would have to know what resolution the channel uses. Of course, many geeks already know that. Personally, I think it's a pain in the ass to do that. Again, you would be relying on the displays scaler to convert to its native resolution, whiich is always better than letting the 811 do it.

Finally, one of the worst things to do would be to leave the 811 on 720p, simply because that is the native resolution of the display. The 811's conversion to 720p from either 1080i or 480i looks like crap.

BFG said:
No no no. The point is the scaler on the 811 is a huge pos. So therefore you should set the 811 to whatever the resoultion of the channel your watching so the TV does the scalling and NOT the 811...

I have to agree with this totally.

If you LEAVE it at 1080i, and you have a native 720p tv, for the THREE 720p stations (really hard to remember ABC, ESPN, FOX) then the Dish 811 converts the 720p signal to 1080i, and the tv converts it back to 720p. Dumb move. Not hard at all to see the quality loss. Just look at the scorebox in any football game ... see the little jaggies in the text.

You have a multi-thousand dollar tv and no programmable remote????

Easy, very easy to program a macro to change resolutions.

GaryPen said:
When I watch 720p OTA programming with the 811 set to 1080i output, it looks outstanding, actually. No jaggies in the scorebox. I wonder if it might have something to do with one's diplay device, as well?

That could well be.

I would call 720p at 1080i "good" in my setup.

Quality-wise, from an 811 to a 720p RP-LCD, form best to worst, it goes:

720p program @ 720p output = mind-blowing

1080i program @ 1080i output = awesome (just below mind-blowing)

720p program @ 1080i output = good (minor jaggies in text)

1080i program @ 720p output = good/okay (more jaggies in text)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)