Killawatt meter question

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
When I plug a surge protector into it, hit AMPS, it displays the actual current draw for all those devices running correct?

Reason I asked, is I just checked my HDDVR, EHD and subwoofer (cranked pretty loud) andit was 1.10 AMPS. For some reason I figured it'd be worse I guess. Im using a tripplite isobar ultra for those and its 12amps, so I guess no worries there LOL.

Cool stuff, Vacuum was 9.1 amps and the hair dryer was almost 13A.

I've found the Kill-A-Watts to be fairly accurate. All of my UPS's display current wattage being used, and I have compared that to a Kill-A-Watt and they were both pretty close to each other.

People make a lot of fuss about nothing about DVRs running 24/7. Comparatively speaking, they don't really draw that much.

Oh yeah, I had it on a bassy song, and the volume was cranked. I wonder since most amps have large capacitors, if it does not slowly build its power for peaks, so you dont see a huge draw on the bass hits because it comes from the caps.

That is exactly it. The power supply is heavily buffered to avoid heavy draw on short peaks. In addition, the sub is a heavily inductive load, so the large capacitors will also lower the power factor. It is an efficiency issue because reactive loads will draw more power than resistive ones.

I guess that's why like for my sub, it's 350rms and 1400 short term. Also why I guess HSU recommends certain setup parameters on the sub to offer the most "headroom". I guess headroom is about eating into that stored capacitor power too quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts