Killed My Openbox S10... Now What??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I uploaded new firmware to my S10 not realizing that it was a clone. It's now dead. Is it possible to fix, or should I look at a new receiver?

I uploaded new firmware to my S10 not realizing that it was a clone. It's now dead. Is it possible to fix, or should I look at a new receiver?

it is possible to fix but i wouldn't try to mess with it i did the same thing a few months ago and just purchased a new microhd from satellite av instead would recommend the same

Same thing happened to mine a few weeks ago. Did you buy it from a retailer? If so, you can write them and see if they'll exchange it for an authentic model. That's what happened to me and I've been using my s10 since my microHD got caught in a reboot loop a few days ago. I think finally I got the real deal -- it feels solidly built, the chip seems to be correct, and it has the latest firmware. I haven't had any sudden reboots as of yet either. So, if you can, go that route first. If you can't, I think you have to have an older computer so you can hook up an RS232 serial cable to it and download the Openbox rs232 loader to reinstall the previous firmware (which I hope you still have). See the thread on this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/290747-Any-hope-for-the-bricked-clone

I'd be curious to know, as I don't have an old computer if my Openbox goes haywire again, if the TLL USB cable that I'm ordering to reset my microHD could also work with the Openbox if there's a problem in the future. Anyone know?

Last edited:
It would be nice if everyone that bought a clone that they would say or state from whom they bought it, so other member will not fall into the same trap.
Thanks.

I was going to be a smart *$$ and reply to the title of this thread by saying "Have a funeral service for it and then buy a microHD!" :D

But seriously, the micro is a FAR better receiver than the S9, and from what I hear, the S9 is better than the S10.

From all the reviews I've read and comments here, the MicroHD sounds like the way to go. I've already ordered one from SatelliteAV's website, and I can't wait to get it. I was so upset when I realized my S10 was dead. Why would they make software that kills a receiver anyways? I spent a lot of money on that.

From all the reviews I've read and comments here, the MicroHD sounds like the way to go. I've already ordered one from SatelliteAV's website, and I can't wait to get it. I was so upset when I realized my S10 was dead. Why would they make software that kills a receiver anyways? I spent a lot of money on that.

They don't like competition under cutting their market, so the "real" company creates clone-kill firmware. I'd be willing to bet if you took the time to go to small claims court, you'd win a judgement against them and get it replaced with an original, or paid to get a different one. There's no difference in destroying your property in person, OR remotely. If it was deliberate, it's against the law. Even a strongly worded letter from a lawyer might get you some action.

They don't like competition under cutting their market, so the "real" company creates clone-kill firmware. I'd be willing to bet if you took the time to go to small claims court, you'd win a judgement against them and get it replaced with an original, or paid to get a different one. There's no difference in destroying your property in person, OR remotely. If it was deliberate, it's against the law. Even a strongly worded letter from a lawyer might get you some action.

I don't want to bother with the Openbox manufacturer anymore. The only reason I uploaded newer firmware was because Openbox wasn't working properly in the first place. The 22 Khz didn't work. Screw the Openbox receivers. I'm going with the MicroHD. Hopefully I won't have the same problems with that. I purchased it directly from the company that makes them.

I'm going with the MicroHD. Hopefully I won't have the same problems with that. .
you wont have any issues with it. Just check out a couple of the stickies in that area. I recommend loading the newest software once you get it to make sure you're on the same page with the rest of the users if there is an issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)