Not open for further replies.

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
Well,just a few days ago,west Tennessee and western Kentucky was hit pretty hard by storms and tornadoes.Alot of structural damage and several lives lost as a result.This afternoon and evening,the middle Tennessee area seems to be taking a pretty serious hit with the latest round of storms (several tornadoes have been reported as touching down throughout the area).There have been hundreds of homes and businesses damaged/destroyed and 10 confirmed fatalities (as of now) as a result of these storms.We suffered some hail damage ourselves (broken windows in the rear of the house,damage to vinyl siding,rear window of one of our cars is gone,hit by hail,both cars took body damage from the hail).Just yesterday evening on the NBC Nightly News,they had highlighted Missouri,Arkansas and Tennessee as "The New Tornado Alley".Well,it sure seems to be shaping up that way.I know there are many other areas in the country dealing with this kind of damage too,but it seems that over the last few days that Tennessee is taking alot of hits from these storms.I hadn't noticed any threads in regards to storms and tornadoes on here and thought that I would get one started up.

Thank you dragon,that is appreciated very much.As of now,it appears that the southern Kentucky,southern Tennessee and northern Alabama areas are under the gun with the worst of the current line of storms.We are still getting alot of rain/thunderstorms in this area.The entire area is currently under a Tornado Watch until 4AM CT.

steve615 said:
Thank you dragon,that is appreciated very much.As of now,it appears that the southern Kentucky,southern Tennessee and northern Alabama areas are under the gun with the worst of the current line of storms.We are still getting alot of rain/thunderstorms in this area.The entire area is currently under a Tornado Watch until 4AM CT.

same here on the prayers.
Madison County (Huntsville) is looking at one possibly coming right now. I'm watching WHNT there in Huntsville is advising people at the airport and other areas in the city to get in there safe place. 3 counties to go to get to me. I just hope and pray we will be ok. I'm on call for cable and fire both and we are just watching.

cablewithaview said:
same here on the prayers.
Madison County (Huntsville) is looking at one possibly coming right now. I'm watching WHNT there in Huntsville is advising people at the airport and other areas in the city to get in there safe place. 3 counties to go to get to me. I just hope and pray we will be ok. I'm on call for cable and fire both and we are just watching.
Thank you cable and our prayers are with you too.It looks like the southern U.S. is in for a long night with these storms.

I hate to say this but things are only going to get worse weatherwise. This year is going to be proved as a very bad year for hurricanes once again too and the U.S. has a good chance of getting another strong hit perhaps like last year like Katrina.

The bad part for me, I would have to go out as a fire fighter to help clear the area, buildings, etc. and then go back and start working the cable. Sometimes I have to do both at the same time since lines would hender some efforts. I have crews on stand by south of here and hope I want need them. It would take 6 to 8 hrs for them to arrive so I'm on my own until then.

IF YOUR IN MADISON COUNTY, AL, TAKE COVER!!!

cablewithaview said:
thanks Steve
You're quite welcome cable.I just hope you all don't see the damage that we have over here this evening.

Stargazer said:
I hate to say this but things are only going to get worse weatherwise. This year is going to be proved as a very bad year for hurricanes once again too and the U.S. has a good chance of getting another strong hit perhaps like last year like Katrina.
I agree Stargazer.I have lived in this area for the majority of my 42 years of life.The winters here seem to get milder as each year passes by.I can recall in my younger days,the winters here were pretty cold and we used to see alot of snow.These days,the winter months consists of very little snow and much milder temperatures.These kinds of changes in the seasons don't bode well for the future,IMO.

Update

This info was just broadcast on the ABC affiliate (WKRN) in Nashville,TN:The National Weather Service has confirmed at least 35 tornadoes (touchdowns) and at least 11 deaths from the storms today in Tennessee.These numbers are not taking into account anything that has went on in other states.

Last edited:
Pics from the storms

I'm attaching some pics from the storms that hit us earlier.My first time adding any attachments on here,I hope it works.

Attachments

• 100_0121.JPG
    100_0121.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_0097.JPG
    100_0097.JPG
    426.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0103.JPG
    100_0103.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_0122.JPG
    100_0122.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 123
I see that the pics did post...that hail is small in comparison to what we got hit with when the first storm came through.Some of it was the size of a softball,no joke.:eek: I'll see if I can get a couple more pics posted,I have more.

Last edited:
More pics

Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• 100_0131.JPG
    100_0131.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_0096.JPG
    100_0096.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 133
If there is anyone close to a TV,check out the Weather Channel (channel 362 on D*),they are showing some footage of some of the damage done in this area,along with some interviews from some of the people in the affected areas.

Steve, my son and I were returning to Indiana from a trip to Chattanooga and were passing through Nashville right after (14:40CDT) the tornado tore through Sumner county. We got stuck for over an hour in the I-65 North lanes, and when I thought I was finding a way around the accident (I hadn't turned the radio on yet!) I had exited on SR386 and US31E towards Hendersonville and Gallatin (talk about frying pan into the fire!)

We finally made what Mapquest said was a six hour trip in just under eleven hours. When I got to our hotel, I checked the Nashville TV4 (since their van was stuck in traffic just in front of us on US31E) and they have the following story and videos.

We'll keep you and your neighbors in our prayers...

Foxbat said:
Steve, my son and I were returning to Indiana from a trip to Chattanooga and were passing through Nashville right after (14:40CDT) the tornado tore through Sumner county. We got stuck for over an hour in the I-65 North lanes, and when I thought I was finding a way around the accident (I hadn't turned the radio on yet!) I had exited on SR386 and US31E towards Hendersonville and Gallatin (talk about frying pan into the fire!)

We finally made what Mapquest said was a six hour trip in just under eleven hours. When I got to our hotel, I checked the Nashville TV4 (since their van was stuck in traffic just in front of us on US31E) and they have the following story and videos.

We'll keep you and your neighbors in our prayers...
Foxbat,wow you and your son were without a doubt in a bad place at a bad time yesterday afternoon.I am located 60-65 miles southeast of Nashville,between Murfreesboro and McMinnville.There were many areas around here that were hit very hard with these severe storms.We sustained some property damage ourselves,but we do consider ourselves very lucky indeed compared to the total loss of alot of homes and businesses,and the loss of lives in this area.I am glad to hear that you made it home safely,no doubt alot longer trip than expected for you,but at least you did get home in one piece.I am watching some of the local news currently.Gallatin and Hendersonville look like disaster areas.They are estimating the tornado that touched down in Sumner County (Gallatin) was on the ground for at least 3 miles.The Dickson area was hit hard also.That is approx. 1 hr. west of Nashville.There was also alot of damage in the Warren County area,around McMinnville.That is about 20 miles or so to the east of us.Thanks for the link to the WSMV articles,and thank you kindly for the prayers,alot of people need alot of help in this area indeed.

we survived here. everything went north or south of here and east of here. I think we had some pea size hail close to here but that was it.

That's good news cable,thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)