King Tailgater Pro with 2 Wallys Issue

Zeman2691

Original poster
Sep 7, 2023
Los Lunas, New Mexico
I have installed a King Tailgater Pro with two Wallys in my 2006 Itasca Sunova. One Wally works perfectly but the second Wally will not connect. I have been on with Dish for an hour with no resolution. I have read different threads on this topic with no clear answer to fix this issue. My question is this, if I bought a DISH Solo HD Receiver (ViP 211z) and used this as my second receiver with a Wally as my primary receiver will this fix this issue? I have two tv's in my RV so I can get my primary tv to work with a Wally but the second tv will not connect using the second Wally.

What happens if you take Wally #2 and put it into the MAIN port? Just by itself? If it works, what happens if you then connect Wally #1?
I have swapped Wallys and both will work as the Primary but the other one will not connect. I even switch ports on the King Tailgater with no help. All I can get is one Wally to connect perfectly but the other will not connect no matter which Wally I use.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Makes me wonder if there's a fault in the Tailgater. You should be able to do what you want to do, and if there is an active receiver on MAIN, the secondary receiver should get programming from the same satellite.

Have you tried calling KING directly?

Sounds like an issue with the tailgater. We tested this exact setup last week without issue (part of our yearly tailgater testing for football season). Your second receiver will only see whatever your first can see and there are features in to improve the second port experience but no known issues with a second receiver not connecting on port 2.

Makes me wonder if there's a fault in the Tailgater. You should be able to do what you want to do, and if there is an active receiver on MAIN, the secondary receiver should get programming from the same satellite.

Have you tried calling KING directly?
I have not called King directly yet. But you make a good point about double checking the other port. I will try to connect to the other port to make sure it works as it should. If it doesn't then I will know it is the King Satalite.

I called KING, I had to leave a message on their phone system, they said they would get back to me in 2-3 days. They told me it is a software issue between DISH and their satellite. I the software will not allow 2 Wallys to connect with their Tailgater Pro. I have to order a VIP 211 Z receiver which is an older receiver but this will fix the problem. I ordered one so I will see if it really fixes this issue.

I was just speaking to a senior tech at KING about this very issue. First of all he confirmed that your 211 solution should work, and to a degree it will probably give you a better experience.

But he does confirm that a 2-Wally solution should work, given some basic limitations. Obviously the check switch would fail on the second Wally, because it's not able to move the dish. I think we can all see how that would make sense. The solution would just be to push through the error message and start watching TV.

He also says that if someone were watching the AUX Wally but not the MAIN Wally, the MAIN Wally could direct the Tailgater to look at 119 for a guide data update while the AUX Wally was watching TV. That could be a little bit of a problem.

I am really curious to see if the 211 works for you where the second Wally didn't.

I was just speaking to a senior tech at KING about this very issue. First of all he confirmed that your 211 solution should work, and to a degree it will probably give you a better experience.

But he does confirm that a 2-Wally solution should work, given some basic limitations. Obviously the check switch would fail on the second Wally, because it's not able to move the dish. I think we can all see how that would make sense. The solution would just be to push through the error message and start watching TV.

He also says that if someone were watching the AUX Wally but not the MAIN Wally, the MAIN Wally could direct the Tailgater to look at 119 for a guide data update while the AUX Wally was watching TV. That could be a little bit of a problem.

I am really curious to see if the 211 works for you where the second Wally didn't.

Wally should definitely work - I'm also curious if the 211 solves the issue. The second port receiver just gets put into "slave" mode and has a somewhat limited experience but it should have A/V.