OTA for Dish Hopper 3

Rod.P

Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Albuquerque, NM USA
Dish sent me an OTA, but when I do a scan, it doesn't find all of the local channels. Is there an OTA that would work better in finding all local channels? Thanks for any help you could give me.

Need more info. Im assuming it's an indoor antenna, if dish mailed it to you. Do you have the power adapter plugged in? Did dish also send a usb adapter to plug into the hopper? Do you live in the same city that the locals cone from? If do have you tried putting in a windows, preferably fsving the direction of the towards? If you live more than 25-30 miles away from the towers then you'll need an outdoor antenna.

Need more info. Im assuming it's an indoor antenna, if dish mailed it to you. Do you have the power adapter plugged in? Did dish also send a usb adapter to plug into the hopper? Do you live in the same city that the locals cone from? If do have you tried putting in a windows, preferably fsving the direction of the towards? If you live more than 25-30 miles away from the towers then you'll need an outdoor antenna.

You ARE connecting the antenna to a small box that plugs into a USB port on the Hopper, right? Is it a single or dual tuner? Name on it? Tried plugging into different USB ports?

Antennas are antennas. Some better than others. But there is no such thing as a “4K” antenna. The OTA signal propagates pretty much the same. The RECEIVER might better handle multi path. All antennas can receive analog and digital signals.

I don’t know what type of housing you live in. But a cheap outdoor(mostly) antenna is the StealthTenna. It is NOT because it looks like a stealth aircraft. That is bull put out by idiots with a keyboard and often, someone willing to pay for their drivel. It is called that because it is stealthy (original version predated stealth aircraft) in that it is hardly noticeable if you hang it under an eave.

But it might not be good enough for you.

Some folks that must keep the antenna inside have used full size rooftop antennas placed inside different ways. In an attic, or closet etc. Very low WAF.

Can you give us an antenna web of your location? It will go a long way towards helping you pick out an antenna.

But I must be honest- the Dish OTA tuners are not the best out there. I live in a strong signal area, but I use a rooftop overkill antenna (wanted to get Hagerstown, didn’t work) and bought a separate OTA STB with a much better tuner in it.

Best of luck, let’s work thru this together.

PS. I’m still chaffed at an article, widely “reprinted” in which the idiot - err, deceiver, -err, author, many years ago referred to the Voom channel Animania, as “animal centric.” It was anime. Idiot clearly never looked at the channel. There ought to be consequences for that.

Antennas are antennas. Some better than others. But there is no such thing as a “4K” antenna. The OTA signal propagates pretty much the same. The RECEIVER might better handle multi path. All antennas can receive analog and digital signals.

I don’t know what type of housing you live in. But a cheap outdoor(mostly) antenna is the StealthTenna. It is NOT because it looks like a stealth aircraft. That is bull put out by idiots with a keyboard and often, someone willing to pay for their drivel. It is called that because it is stealthy (original version predated stealth aircraft) in that it is hardly noticeable if you hang it under an eave.

But it might not be good enough for you.

Some folks that must keep the antenna inside have used full size rooftop antennas placed inside different ways. In an attic, or closet etc. Very low WAF.

Can you give us an antenna web of your location? It will go a long way towards helping you pick out an antenna.

But I must be honest- the Dish OTA tuners are not the best out there. I live in a strong signal area, but I use a rooftop overkill antenna (wanted to get Hagerstown, didn’t work) and bought a separate OTA STB with a much better tuner in it.

Best of luck, let’s work thru this together.

PS. I’m still chaffed at an article, widely “reprinted” in which the idiot - err, deceiver, -err, author, many years ago referred to the Voom channel Animania, as “animal centric.” It was anime. Idiot clearly never looked at the channel. There ought to be consequences for that.

Back in 1975, when I was in the Air Force, my vehicle and I had a collision. I was in a coma for 16 days due to a TBI. The antenna isn't that important. As I get older, my memory is getting worse. I want to thank you for your help, but I'm not going to find the kind of antenna that I should have, so I am not going to pursue this antenna thing. Thank you again

Back in 1975, when I was in the Air Force, my vehicle and I had a collision. I was in a coma for 16 days due to a TBI. The antenna isn't that important. As I get older, my memory is getting worse. I want to thank you for your help, but I'm not going to find the kind of antenna that I should have, so I am not going to pursue this antenna thing. Thank you again
You mentioned in a message you are only 16 miles. You can easily find an outdoor antenna. If the indoor isn't working then I can almost guarantee a good outdoor antenna mounted to roof will pull everything in.
This is the outdoor antenna dish uses and I've really liked them. They work well

Amazon product ASIN B07PH46Z65
View: https://www.amazon.com/Televes-DiNova-Antenna-Filter-144282/dp/B07PH46Z65?pd_rd_w=gyu07&content-id=amzn1.sym.374b0f4c-7004-471a-8101-cd202f0dfefb&pf_rd_p=374b0f4c-7004-471a-8101-cd202f0dfefb&pf_rd_r=DMS4QHQMYGY6RZPQXDZC&pd_rd_wg=aYSrP&pd_rd_r=a457fd1b-3dd0-460e-872a-9f68de13aac2&pd_rd_i=B07PH46Z65&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_10_t

Reactions: charlesrshell
You mentioned in a message you are only 16 miles. You can easily find an outdoor antenna. If the indoor isn't working then I can almost guarantee a good outdoor antenna mounted to roof will pull everything in.
This is the outdoor antenna dish uses and I've really liked them. They work well

Amazon product ASIN B07PH46Z65
View: https://www.amazon.com/Televes-DiNova-Antenna-Filter-144282/dp/B07PH46Z65?pd_rd_w=gyu07&content-id=amzn1.sym.374b0f4c-7004-471a-8101-cd202f0dfefb&pf_rd_p=374b0f4c-7004-471a-8101-cd202f0dfefb&pf_rd_r=DMS4QHQMYGY6RZPQXDZC&pd_rd_wg=aYSrP&pd_rd_r=a457fd1b-3dd0-460e-872a-9f68de13aac2&pd_rd_i=B07PH46Z65&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_10_t