Known HDMI Video Out Problem with 942

w8zdjf2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Can someone advise me how to work with DishNetwork Customer Service?

My 942 used to have what seemed to be a short in the HDMI output. At times I would loose video signal and to get the video back I would have to wiggle the cable on the HDMI output of the 942. About two weeks ago I lost video completely and can not get it back.

I am using the HDMI to DVI converter. I can hook a PC to the DVI cable and the TV works perfect. Connected to the HDMI on the 942 the TV says No Signal. The other video outputs on TV2 work. Audio works perfect (SPDIF).

Dish told me that this is a "Known problem" with the HDMI on the 942 and that I need a software update. Last night (Feb 13, 2006) I went thru the long annoying troubleshooting proceedure with Dish customer service to determine that I do have the latest software. They said that the update would be coming out soon and I would not be charged for service until it is fixed.

I appreciate Dish not charging me for service, but I want to get this replaced as I don't believe that the "Software update" will fix the problem.

Can someone give me some guidance? Anyone else have this problem?

Thank You.

I just hooked mine up the other day with HDMI as my new HD set has this connection and it is working fine so far. It is even passing audio which I read somewhere here that Dish does not do this with their HDMI implementation. Sound like you have a bad HDMI port.

Yes, I do believe that I have a hardware problem, not software.

I would like to get Dish to replace it. Can someone suggest how I can get them to do this?

They were not interested last night.

Just to confirm that the HDMI port on the 942 works. I am using the HDMI port on the 942 connected to the HDMI to DVI cable that is provided with the 942 which connects to the DVI to HDMI adapter (also included) which connects to the HDMI port on my TV. It sends audio and video and I have used this for over 2 months now with no problems at all. I have never had a drop with audio or video the entire time. My TV is a Toshiba made in 2005.

Yes, my HDMI port worked. It worked perfect for almost 9 months straight.

Now the HDMI Video out does not work. It did show symptoms of a electrical short about a month ago. Now it does not work at all.

How will a software upgrade fix this?

How do I get DishNetwork to replace their unit?

Same thing here, have used HDMI to HDMI since day one with my 942 and never a problem with video or audio.

tawhite said:
It is even passing audio which I read somewhere here that Dish does not do this with their HDMI implementation.

But does this mean that the 622vip will not pass audio over HDMI. Kind of defeats the purpose in addition to requiring extra cables.

1) The 942 does (and the 622 will) pass audio on the HDMI. For the 942, its only 2 channel, not 5.1.

2) Some people (me included) are having occasionaly audio drop-outs on the 942 HDMI. I do not seem to experience these when using component video + rca or optical audio. I don't know if this is HW or SW, but I'm waiting for my 622 before I worry about the HDMI.

3) For the Original Poster, your problem has to be either the receiver or the cable. I'd try a different cable (borrow one from a friend??) first - if the problem persists, try a different CSR, or go thru the CEO & get a replacement receiver. I'll eat my hat if this is a SW problem.