Known Issue List

Completely different scenario here. Dish customers aren't paying for software like the business relationship you're describing.

Sorry but IMO that's a bad argument. We're buying a complete package from one vendor, hardware, software and application. That should make it easier for that vendor to provide a quality package.

The list does not contain requests to add features back but rather issues affecting performance.

I was just going to ask if Dish differentiates "features" with "bugs".

The missing "S" on folders is a feature while the "100% watched" is a bug (and a non-serious one at that). We can presume the "S" was taken away on purpose while showing that a recording has been fully watched when it has not was not by design.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

I was just going to ask if Dish differentiates "features" with "bugs".

The missing "S" on folders is a feature while the "100% watched" is a bug (and a non-serious one at that). We can presume the "S" was taken away on purpose while showing that a recording has been fully watched when it has not was not by design.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

No telling. We will never know.

Speaking of stuff disappearing I just noticed that my Philly locals coming in on 61.5 don't have the sat# on the info screen anymore. They were there the other day. This may not be a "trending" item worth passing up but who knows? This may in some way be related to the failure of the conflict resolution problem which suddenly appeared or to some other minor problems and there just may be a bright young guy back there who, if he saw a composite list of these little nits, would have a brain storm.

If dish won't provide a known issues list then the members here should use this thread for that purpose.

It would sure be nice to have a thread like that even though software should be tried & tested before it goes out.

Hi oldengineer, the satellite number is there if you're watching the channel and hit information. If you hit information from the guide, it won't be there.

Last edited:
I notice now that the aspect ratio does not work on SD channels on ota or satellite now that the S428 software has been spooled. I used to use the gray bars on SD channels and now I can't change it at all. It does work on Hd sat and ota channels.

Say what? We're BACK to aspect ratio not working? Unbelievable!

Sorry but IMO that's a bad argument. We're buying a complete package from one vendor, hardware, software and application.
Sorry, but you're stretching there. We're paying for television services and for most (since E* charges some sort of fee related to using a DVR) the receiver - which is NOT broken out in line items like you want to say.

Mind you, I'm disappointed when they "break" something that affects everyday usability (2 revisions ago, I think, my Hopper was rebooting daily and was a real annoyance). Some issues, I think Dish should almost immediately revert the individual change(s) or rollback the software to a previous release. Things like the satellite #, the "S" on series recordings, etc, well, those are nice to have but can leave without...

For 9 years I was a Principal of a SW company that built compilers, languages , and operating systems. Then I taught MIS at a University for 25 years. It is not good SW practice to update SW that does not allow the end user to keep features they are use to. Microsoft learned this real quickly when they released 8.0. They had to quickly put out 8.1 to allow users to revert back to how they liked to use their computer. When Yahoo created their new e-mail SW they allowed their users to use the old version. The same was true for Facebook. They allowed their users to use the older version while learning the new version. Changing SW without end user approval has been one of the biggest failures of most SW departments . The distrust of end users of SW departments who do not include end user input is very common in industry. Dish SW engineers are just repeating poor SW development practices.

For 9 years I was a Principal of a SW company that built compilers, languages , and operating systems. Then I taught MIS at a University for 25 years. It is not good SW practice to update SW that does not allow the end user to keep features they are use to. Microsoft learned this real quickly when they released 8.0. They had to quickly put out 8.1 to allow users to revert back to how they liked to use their computer. When Yahoo created their new e-mail SW they allowed their users to use the old version. The same was true for Facebook. They allowed their users to use the older version while learning the new version. Changing SW without end user approval has been one of the biggest failures of most SW departments . The distrust of end users of SW departments who do not include end user input is very common in industry. Dish SW engineers are just repeating poor SW development practices.

AMEN

Hehe, your comments about FB and Yahoo (more specifically, FB) remind of what I think everytime someone complains about changes they made. You see lots of posts for the first 1-2 days.... I will respond to them with something like, "You are so right ! They shouldn't do this ! You should get a refund on your money that you paid them !". :p A typical response, if they do, is along the lines of "I know it's free, but....".

Sorry, but you're stretching there. We're paying for television services and for most (since E* charges some sort of fee related to using a DVR) the receiver - which is NOT broken out in line items like you want to say.

Mind you, I'm disappointed when they "break" something that affects everyday usability (2 revisions ago, I think, my Hopper was rebooting daily and was a real annoyance). Some issues, I think Dish should almost immediately revert the individual change(s) or rollback the software to a previous release. Things like the satellite #, the "S" on series recordings, etc, well, those are nice to have but can leave without...

So are you saying that Dish providing me with a Hopper, the software/firmware that's driving it, and their own digital data stream is not hardware, software and application? That's approaching fanboy territory so I think we're done here.

Sales people working for cable and DTV would really love a Hopper system known issues list.

I'm on a roll here today so I'm going to give my input on this. When I took freshman chemistry in 1962 the lecturer told us about a summer job he had as an undergrad. It was at an oil company doing competitor analysis of the other companies gasoline blends and additives. The point is that if Cable and DTV were well run companies and really cared about known issues with Dish equipment they wouldn't need access to the known issues list - They Would Already Have Their Own !!!!!

There is one bug that was in the 722 and Dish Anywhere I wish they would put back into the Hopper. When I had the 722, I could see and play back recordings from my ehd. We can't do that any more. I was told that that was a bug in the 722 and had been fixed in the Hopper. That was one fix I wish they didn't make.

ME too. Why in the world did they remove that little innocent blue S for the saved PTAT recording that meant so much to lots of us. No telling, it must of got in the way of something.

That icon is still there in their eyes. Just that Dish chose to be inconsistent with their interface and you have to press the info button to see it.

While I do not work for Dish nor have any more insight into the company structure than most of us here, I personally believe that they have some good engineers and developers at their disposal (whether they work for Dish or Echostar) who simply have their direction from management and follow it. Maybe Charlie Ergan has too much of a stranglehold on management leeway in favor of trying to constantly push out all these wiz-bang features.

Dish lacks a solid UX (User Experience) manager who is responsible for every aspect of the way the products look, feel and interact with the customer. Now, truth be told, the Hoppers are pretty cool, do some neat things and are pretty reliable...for the most part. My issue always has been their belief that customers should accept their design mediocrity and things will get fixed when then get fixed. Like when they finally fixed the issue they had for months with HDMI CEC not working and people were having to try and pull out or cover up a certain pin on an HDMI cable to avoid some issues, only to break it again in an update a few weeks or so later and they still don't have it back to the way it used to be (Hopper power button-DVR/TV on, TV power button-DVR/TV off)! That code simply cannot be that complex to put back in the right way.

On the UX side, Dish could have just as easily made space for the New icon as well as the others (saved, Autohop, CC, etc...) in the top section of the screen so the customer can quickly see what they want/need to see. All it takes is someone to look from the user perspective and see how they can make the interface more consistent. There are a few of places where the interface works one way in one section and not the same way in others.

That icon is still there in their eyes. Just that Dish chose to be inconsistent with their interface and you have to press the info button to see it.

While I do not work for Dish nor have any more insight into the company structure than most of us here, I personally believe that they have some good engineers and developers at their disposal (whether they work for Dish or Echostar) who simply have their direction from management and follow it. Maybe Charlie Ergan has too much of a stranglehold on management leeway in favor of trying to constantly push out all these wiz-bang features.

Dish lacks a solid UX (User Experience) manager who is responsible for every aspect of the way the products look, feel and interact with the customer. Now, truth be told, the Hoppers are pretty cool, do some neat things and are pretty reliable...for the most part. My issue always has been their belief that customers should accept their design mediocrity and things will get fixed when then get fixed. Like when they finally fixed the issue they had for months with HDMI CEC not working and people were having to try and pull out or cover up a certain pin on an HDMI cable to avoid some issues, only to break it again in an update a few weeks or so later and they still don't have it back to the way it used to be (Hopper power button-DVR/TV on, TV power button-DVR/TV off)! That code simply cannot be that complex to put back in the right way.

On the UX side, Dish could have just as easily made space for the New icon as well as the others (saved, Autohop, CC, etc...) in the top section of the screen so the customer can quickly see what they want/need to see. All it takes is someone to look from the user perspective and see how they can make the interface more consistent. There are a few of places where the interface works one way in one section and not the same way in others.

Good post Tron2012. I concur, the Hopper is pretty cool. It is just sad the issues going on. There is something lagging someplace and I too think it is in management someplace. Us as customers report the issues and give good suggestions but no real feedback. I think it was a big step forward Scott working with Dish and getting the DIRT members to help us out. It is nice to deal with the DIRT folks who are knowledgeable and understand so things get done and we don't have to deal with CSR. If we could just get a little feedback on what's going on. Like why not implement our suggestions, why isn't an issue getting fixed, why neat things are eliminated, etc. Dish should let the DIRT folks tell us something. Is there a lack of funding, lack of parts, lack of knowledge, to hard to fix, tell us something. The DIRT members might have a good idea what the hell is going on but are strictly forbidden to say. I hope now that we have a five tuner capable setup to match Direct that Charlie slows down and put all his attention to fix things, bring back neat things that was eliminated, and implement some suggestions we have. This Hopper has the potential to really be awesome.

Last edited:
After several months including a response from DIRT my Hopper continues to have a up to 12-15 second delay while switching from a regular cable channel to any of the National channels (CBS,ABC,FOX,ABC). I received an e-mail from DIRT advising me that the problem has been sent to engineering but as of yet no other responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)